• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Laguna 18/36 vs Powermatic 3520C

I'm a self-taught woodturner who's been turning on a Jet 1236. It's been fine for my bowl turning, but I'd like to step up to the next level machine which I can grow into. I'm not turning regularly, nor do I expect that I'd make it a profession. Bowls are my focus. I think you all know the satisfaction in giving away gifts.

I've been looking at the Laguna 18/36 and the PM 3520c. This forum is great and I've read as much as I can on the two machines. I'll also say that I looked at the Nova Galaxi Revo, but it doesn't seem to garner much support.

Who else has gone through this decision? What tipped your scales one way or the other?

Both seem to be fantastic lathes, with the PM apparently being more of a "pro" or "forever" machine.
Any opinions on Laguna 110v vs 220v?

Thanks!

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Take a look at the Jet 1840.
Did a demo on this machine and I would not spend $2k more for the Powermatic unless I needed to turn 18” bowls.

Spend the savings on a quality class.
I was self taught turner and doing pretty well.
In 1994 a week long class with Liam O’Neil and a week with David Ellsworth in 1995 let me reach a level of expertise so I could sell enough work to buy a ONEWAY in 1997.

Last edited:

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
I completely agree with you, Al. I mostly use my Jet 1642 these days instead of the big lathe and it does everything I need. the 1840 would be the way forward for me if I were buying. I have some other Jet tools and they have performed, without exception, flawlessly. And I did get to spend some time with David Ellsworth and it was for sure worthwhile.

I went through the same process a couple of years back ... decided on the PM3520C. I have a couple of friends with Laguna 18/36's ... both have had some problems with their tech support. I have Laguna 2hp cyclone that is on its third motor now (I know ... apples to oranges). The last go-round, Laguna had the cyclone motors on back-order for 3 months (I found a used one for $100). In contrast, the switch on my PM3520C started to act up, so I called their tech support. Tech stepped me through a work-around, and a new switch arrived less than 48 hours later.

I went through the process about 2 yrs ago, and I am a strong supporter of the Nova Galaxi. The work process that can be used with it for bowls/platters vs the others you discuss was the primary driver of my decision.

The pivoting head allows hollowing/facing without reaching over the bed, or removing the TS and then sliding the HS down to get the bed out of the way. The Nova outrigger assembly works great for outboard turning, and tucks in close to the lathe when not in use. It's very quick, easy, no lifting to change between inboard and outboard. The DVR motor and speed selectors work very well, no belt changes, though that aspect was not a prime driver for me. I also do sanding and finishing with the work swung out to the side, improving accessibility of the work. The Grizzly G0766 was my choice for best value for a non-rotating HS, but the rotating head feature with an attached tool rest was the prime requirement for me. An attached tool rest is far superior, as it moves in unison with the lathe when cutting down unbalanced work.

The pivoting head allows hollowing/facing without reaching over the bed
Doug, I hadn't thought of the value of a pivoting head. I expected with the bigger swing of the 16" Laguna, that would be enough for what I'd ever want.

I mostly use my Jet 1642 these days instead of the big lathe.
Mark, Really good point. I only know the Jet products firsthand, so I really appreciate hearing others' experiences. My Jet 1236 has been a good intro machine, and from my experience with Jet products, my impression is that I'd like to step up to another class.

I read another thread where the writer compared this type of decision to one in which someone has to decide between a Mercedes, an Audi, or a Cadillac. A fortunate position to be in.

Several years ago when I got new lathe and had to decide between getting rid of a 3520B or an older Jet 1642, I sold the 3520 and kept the 1642. I never did really like the 3520.

Well, 220 volt for sure, especially if you plan to core. As for pivoting headstock, they do work, but in my opinion, the only one done right is the Vicmark 240. I think the Jet 18 inch lathe deserves to be looked at. I think that since the first 3520 came out, there have been issues with the on/off button and the speed range button. A minor thing to fix. I have turned on the Jet 16 inch lathe. Didn't like the 110 volt model, but did like the 220 model. Have almost no experience with the Laguna lathes.

robo hippy

Not an expert by any means and still consider myself a rookie woodturner.

I recently sold my Oneway 1224 and bought a Laguna 24/36, still about $1000 below the price of the PM3520 (if I remember correctly), which puts the 18-36 almost $2000 cheaper.

I'm happy so far, I heard more positive stories than negative, and a lot of the negative ones had favorable outcomes.

Jet and Powermatic are headquartered about 10 miles from where I live. I had issues with a duplicate delivery of a PM719 mortiser that PM were a pain to deal with (who buys two PM719 floor standing mortisers for their home shop?), plus I contacted them and the dealer several days before the delivery attempt.

So I guess no company is perfect.

Although I've for used my Laguna lathe much, I've happy with my decision.

I run my Galaxi on 120v and have not had lack of power issues. I dont rough with a scraper like Robo - that would take more power than a gouge I think. I core with the Bowlsaver 2 blade, I think is 12”, no problem. Freehand coring is going to take more power as blade binding becomes an issue and depth of cut is not as controlled as well.

My thoughts on the Cadillac, Mercedes, etc comparison is that it is flawed.....
Laguna is only a Chevy/Ford....
and if you are looking to really upgrade to a higher level
Buy Oneway or Robust.
and remember....Robust is made in America

JMHO

Ken, I recently went through much the same evaluation process. Though my final list boiled down to just two: the Jet 1840 and PM3520C (which I ultimately bought). The Laguna 18/36 was definitely in contention until quite late in the evaluation.

The reasons I knocked the Laguna off the final list included the steel bed, seeing a few too many reports of electrical issues with Laguna machines a couple of years down the road, and service/parts availability. I'm also not a fan of the Laguna controls, which come off as kind of cheap to me. Nonetheless, many people are very happy with their Lagunas and it's one of the easiest brands to check out in many locales as Woodcraft often has them in-stock and set up in their stores. I've only seen a couple of Jet lathes on display - ever - and have never seen a PM lathe on display. I've seen PM/Jet demos and some personal machines, but had never laid eyes on a 3520C until I uncrated my own.

I've owned two Laguna machines to-date, a bandsaw, which I ultimately returned, and a C-FLUX dust collector, with which I'm pretty happy. I can't really complain about their service response per se. After all, Torbin Helshoi himself showed up in my garage when the bandsaw issues cropped up (this was in the 90's). But they clearly don't have the depth that companies like JPW (Jet/PM) have or the very personal service you get with say, a company like Robust (my Torbin H. story notwithstanding).

My decision on the Jet vs the PM revolved mostly around the cost vs value difference, with weight weighing in behind that (forgive the pun). Sale prices, shipping costs, taxes, and financing options tipped it toward the PM for me, but I have little doubt that I would have been happy with the Jet. I've owned 3 Jet tablesaws and a jointer/planer combo to-date and all of them were good machines. [edit] ... Plus the Jet drill press I recently bought (duh).

There are no perfect machines! I'm not a huge fan of the PM banjo, for example, and could wish for something more robust (sorry ...) than the plastic box housing the controls. The Jet was longer than I needed, and lighter than I wanted, but has a stellar reputation and is a killer value at the current promo prices. But everyone's priorities and preferences differ anyway. I'm more conservative than some on the service point and more sensitive to potential vibration sources, for example, the latter largely due to a Record lathe I owned. Your mileage will differ.

Last edited:
I realize that this is an older thread but I find myself in the same situation. I am currently looking for my "forever" lathe (which is what brought me here in the first place). I watch a lot of YouTube videos on woodturning and I definitely see more Laguna lathes than Robust or Powermatic (from the US turners). But then I watch the Kim Tippin video on the issues she has had and I am conflicted again. If I win the lottery, a Robust American Beauty is in my future, but I will probably be ready to buy long before that happens so I am down to the Laguna Revo 24/36 or Powermatic 3520C. There is a Woodcraft in my area (Lenexa, KS. hey!) so I will see if I can try them both.

I have the 3520C and love it but it is the only lathe I've used since high-school some 5 decades or so back.... Plenty of power, head does not turn but slides. I slide it to the end quite often for hollowing and bowls and find it enjoyable/comfortable. The banjo, me thunks, could have been designed better but it is heavy which keeps it steady. It has 2 pulleys, low for slow turning/sanding and high for very fast. I find, since I'm not a production turner that more often than not, 95% of my turning is on the low speed pulley, I don't see much reason for myself to turn anything faster than ~1,200 rpm but it can go much faster if that's your thing.

I had the Laguna 18-36. It is not a bad lathe for the price. I now have the Robust AB. You cannot compare the two regarding performance as the Robust is in a different class. I would say the same between the Laguna and Powermatic 3520C. The 3520C would win in that comparison, but it is more $$. I had minor switch problems with the 18-36, but Laguna CS was responsive. For me it has been worth the $$ for the reliability and support Robust offers.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
There are a huge amount of 3520 lathes out there. Problems have been few and handled well the company. My 3520A is 20 years old and not a single problem.

I went through this a year ago. Although I have one Laguna machine (a dust collector), I had a less than positive experience with a Laguna band saw years ago and returned it. My overall impression of their tools these days is that they are a 90% solution. Good machines with good market acceptance but they somehow always seem to collect a buzz about issues and service. I like the design of their current lathes. My final choice, however, eliminated the Laguna and came down to the Powermatic 3520C vs the Jet 1640 or 1840.

I have always been happy with the Jet machinery I have owned. I have had two of their table saws, their large 10 inch jointer/planer and currently have a Jet drill press. I've looked at any number of Powermatic machines over the years but price was always a deterrent.

Nonetheless, I bought the Powermatic! Aside from favoring the machine in some respects, I got it at an excellent price with free shipping and no sales tax. It was available at the time I could purchase, and the dealer could accommodate the type of financing I was using. I did find a Jet 16 at a decent price but would have had to pay shipping and sales tax. No one had the 18 in stock at the time.

I agree with others' comments about relative value. Had I not been able to find the Powermatic for the all in cost that I did, which closed the gap, I definitely would have bought a Jet. I will say that I appreciate the greater weight of the Powermatic. I had a Record lathe at one time that was a bit light and that always nagged at me.

The "forever machine" thinking was also a factor for me. The Powermatic clearly qualifies for most people (including me). The Jet 18 also qualifies for me. The Jet 16? Not as sure about that. That depends on not just what you are doing now but what you aspire to. Almost everything I've done on my 3520C to-date could've been done on a benchtop lathe! There's bigger things in my future, though, and I have recently, finally picked up a good chuck to help with that.

I'm not sure any of this helps! Finally, as an outlier, you may take a look at the Harvey machines, which seem very well-made.

Good luck with your decision!

I am currently looking for my "forever" lathe

I ended up buying the Laguna 18/36 and I'm very happy with my decision. It was a good balance between features and price. The spindle lock button is the only thing that I really don't like. I used a One Way at a class and it's a nicer machine, but for the hobby work that I do, I'm glad with my choice. Alex, from what you describe of your turning, I don't think you can go wrong with either the Laguna or Powermatic.

I ended up buying the Laguna 18/36 and I'm very happy with my decision. It was a good balance between features and price. The spindle lock button is the only thing that I really don't like. I used a One Way at a class and it's a nicer machine, but for the hobby work that I do, I'm glad with my choice. Alex, from what you describe of your turning, I don't think you can go wrong with either the Laguna or Powermatic.

Ken I posted a solution to the Laguna spindle lock in the tips forum. here is the link.

https://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php?threads/laguna-revo-spindle-lock.13456/

Back