• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Termites - what to do?

Finishing the turning phases of a large mistletoe-burl mesquite about 25" tall and maybe 13" diameter. Got the wall thickness down to a bit under 1/2" and noticed termites.
I've been turning large mesquite for over ten years and have never seen these critters.
My thinking is to spray heavily with a chemical, then sand to remove any staining. Or I could mix in a 5-gal bucket and douse on end, then the other and let dry. Or I could do either of the above and place in a garbage bag for a few days.
Any suggestions from the forum would be hugely appreciated.

tall mesquite 5_25_2020.jpg

I doubt the efficacy of pesticides in this application. I helped my nieces husband build a dinning room table using a 12/4 slab that had not been kiln dried. Upon completion he found sawdust under the table and then discovered termites. Pest control was called and they recommended cold storage.

He found a cold storage warehouse for frozen food and took it to them to freeze for a week or so.

No more termites.

" Optimum temperatures for termites range from 75°F to 95°F (24°C to 35°C). At temperatures above 100°F or below 25°F, termites may die in a matter of minutes"

I would clean out my freezer - yes imagine that! - and freeze it for a week.

I'd be no fan of sanding pesticide laden wood in my shop. Agree with Paul, heat or freeze. Enclosed in a bag and set in my attic would do the trick this time of year to get over 100 really easily.

Hey John, I'm trying to figure out your boring bar. Was thinking you used a Clark system but this bar is something unusual. I'm sure it's due to the depth you are hollowing but....??? The pic just doesn't show enough of it to tell.

Finishing the turning phases of a large mistletoe-burl mesquite about 25" tall and maybe 13" diameter. Got the wall thickness down to a bit under 1/2" and noticed termites.
I've been turning large mesquite for over ten years and have never seen these critters.
My thinking is to spray heavily with a chemical, then sand to remove any staining. Or I could mix in a 5-gal bucket and douse on end, then the other and let dry. Or I could do either of the above and place in a garbage bag for a few days.
Any suggestions from the forum would be hugely appreciated.

View attachment 33698
I have used lacquer thinner on logs that had ants. Just poured it into the openings. Thinner evaporates quickly, a few days for the smell to subside, but works quickly and effectively.

Hey John, I'm trying to figure out your boring bar. Was thinking you used a Clark system but this bar is something unusual. I'm sure it's due to the depth you are hollowing but....??? The pic just doesn't show enough of it to tell.

Don,
It's a standard "off the shelf" Rollie Munro-II - but that doesn't answer your question. The "secret sauce" is the tool rest - it has three features:
  1. It is curved and goes inside the vessel being hollowed. I'm rarely more than a few inches off the toolrest. So a hand-held, 3/4" bar that's reduced to 5/8" is rarely challenged
  2. It has a 1/4-20 tooling pin - it is drill/tapped about every inch along the right side. I am able to stand flat footed with a straight back with both hands on the 3' handle in a four to six-o'clock position - great place to be if something blows.
  3. Three high-bright LEDs are on the underside of the rest to light up the interior. Some things are more fun in the dark - hollowing is not one of them.
Some additional considerations:
  • My interest is big stuff - I always have a hole that I can get my hand in. My small tool rest is a 3/4" round bar with a 5/16" SS plate that is about 1-1/4 wide and with the 1/4-20 holes along the outside.
  • My lathe center is about 53" off the floor which allows be to stand when hollowing. I'm on a platform puts me at normal height when doing the normal outside cuts. The whole thing is on built up 2x8 built up beams. While not hard fastened and allowed to shake when I get stupid, it's not falling over eitherTool Rests.jpg

Back