• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Powermatic - First Blood (no, not the movie)

Yup, finally did it. Got my live center stuck in the tailstock but good. Wouldn't eject. Wouldn't come out with a rod and hammer, either, penetrating oil or not.

Sooooo, I took the tailstock quill out and used a couple of wedges between the center's body and the face of the quill to free it. What wedges, you ask? Why, the only metal wedges I had on hand ... my shop chisels. Two together with the "ramps" opposing worked with one good rap from a hammer. Out it popped!

Unfortunately, one chisel decided to slip right up my finger and slice it open to the bone between the two knuckles closest to the palm. It stopped after hitting the knuckle itself. I barely felt it. But brother did that sucker bleed! I looked down to see blood running (not dripping) out of the cut and all over the bed and leg of the lathe, and onto the floor. A few blood-soaked paper towels later, a disinfecting scrub, peroxide, super glue (one specifically for bonding skin), and steri-strips later I managed to avoid a trip for stitches and I'm all patched up. My wife was kind enough to clean up the sink area, which was ... well ... ew.

Here's what I learned:
1) Don't use chisels for wedges, stupid.
2) Don't use a knockout rod that will stick in the end of a hollow taper shaft.
3) Super Glue bonds skin really well, but it STINGS LIKE A M*#$%(##!
4) Make sure the taper surfaces are clean and don't get the center stuck!!!!

Sounds like a fairly normal day in my shop Bill! If you’re not scarring yourself, you’re not trying hard enough, haha!

I've scared myself quite a few times already (newbie). I've learned, albeit slowly... LOL, to NOT cut my fingers alot... mostly. These tools can get quite sharp!!!!!! I've also learned a sharp chainsaw can mangle a finger quicker than I could react/move.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Yup, finally did it. Got my live center stuck in the tailstock but good. Wouldn't eject. Wouldn't come out with a rod and hammer, either, penetrating oil or not.

Sooooo, I took the tailstock quill out and used a couple of wedges between the center's body and the face of the quill to free it. What wedges, you ask? Why, the only metal wedges I had on hand ... my shop chisels. Two together with the "ramps" opposing worked with one good rap from a hammer. Out it popped!

Unfortunately, one chisel decided to slip right up my finger and slice it open to the bone between the two knuckles closest to the palm. It stopped after hitting the knuckle itself. I barely felt it. But brother did that sucker bleed! I looked down to see blood running (not dripping) out of the cut and all over the bed and leg of the lathe, and onto the floor. A few blood-soaked paper towels later, a disinfecting scrub, peroxide, super glue (one specifically for bonding skin), and steri-strips later I managed to avoid a trip for stitches and I'm all patched up. My wife was kind enough to clean up the sink area, which was ... well ... ew.

Here's what I learned:
Glad that you are ok and avoided a trip to the ER.

Although you were able to avoid an ER visit with your recent mishap, you may still want to consult a physician. If the laceration was deep enough to expose bone there is a risk of bone infection, and it would not be unusual for prophylactic antibiotics to be employed.

Although you were able to avoid an ER visit with your recent mishap, you may still want to consult a physician. If the laceration was deep enough to expose bone there is a risk of bone infection, and it would not be unusual for prophylactic antibiotics to be employed.

It's been about 6 days and is almost healed over. Hopefully nothing else will crop up.

So, was this the live center provided with your lathe, or another one? At our local high school, the students regularly put non-self ejecting live centers in the 2 Powermatics, and they get good and stuck. We've learned to put something solid in between the live center and the tail stock housing, then crank the quill in and the live center pops out, with considerable difficulty, but out.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com

Here's what I learned:

The important thing is that the lathe cleaned up without any unsightly stains on the paint and no rusting of exposed iron. :D

Perhaps we should appoint you to be the forum safety officer. The qualifications include being an expert on the wrong way to do things. I had my turn as safety officer a number of years ago: My Job Application for Safety Officer

Bill, that was an entertaining read! Yes indeed, seems I'm qualified along the same lines. I do look forward to losing my qualifications, but rest assured that doesn't seem to be coming very quickly ...

The last time I donated blood like that, the doc asked me when my last tetanus shot was... Errr, I can't remember... Well you need one.

I have used one of the flat wrenches for one of my routers, and back the quill into the tailstock, and then lever it out, which sounds like what Dean did. No clue as to why all the manufacturers don't have the same length quills on the tailstocks....

From an Aussie woodworker, "Anything with sharp teeth eats meat. Woodworking tools have sharp teeth. People are made out of meat."

robo hippy

Fortunately, when I changed doctors a year or so ago, one of the questions was "When was your last tetanus shot?" My answer: "Dunno, maybe when I was 18 or so??? (i.e., more decades ago than I care to admit)

Got a fresh new shot that day ...

(God, I hate needles.)

Back