• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning made my hair fall out

upload_2020-7-1_23-58-36.jpeg
Now I know why I'm bald: it has to be because of the wind from turning large, out of balance pieces on my lathe. Now that I've got that figured out; I can relax when jamming a nice sharp bowl gouge into a lopsided piece of log!

John,
I’m not promoting a product but this may be right up your alley. These are the t-shirts that my fellow Greater Vancouver Woodturners Guiid member Art Liestman makes and another member Larry Stevenson is modelling: http://www.artliestman.com/t-shirts.html

upload_2020-7-1_23-58-36.jpeg

I haven't noticed any hair loss, but I am certain that turning makes me swear more.

When you say "swear more", are you referring to frequency, variety, or both? I find that my frequency of swearing has increased, but the vocabulary is lacking. I've thoroughly explored the extent of english language swearing, so maybe it's time to learn it in other languages. Since a lot of curse words are culturally based, I'd be learning more about cultures and traditions too. A win-win situation.

I didn't realize that woodturning could be so enriching in other ways.

When you say "swear more", are you referring to frequency, variety, or both? I find that my frequency of swearing has increased, but the vocabulary is lacking. I've thoroughly explored the extent of english language swearing, so maybe it's time to learn it in other languages. Since a lot of curse words are culturally based, I'd be learning more about cultures and traditions too. A win-win situation.

I didn't realize that woodturning could be so enriching in other ways.
Sometimes I wish I could remember the Danish swear words Grandpa used to use!

@ Gerald: If you recall the meaning of Grandpa's words, I'll happily translate for you - off forum. I have trained my vocabulary for a dozen years, one failure at a time.
My language seems to turn more decent every year now, though!

All of us need to embark on a program to continuously improving our entire woodturner's skills and experience. As such, maybe we should start a new thread for the purpose of expanding our "turner's swearing vocabulary?"

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
My vocabulary doesn't seem to change much, but the volume is be going up! :rolleyes:

Then, there are those few wood chips that seem to migrate into the house.....and, in the bed. :D

-----odie-----

Back