• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Who you gonna watch at the virtual symposium

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
On Saturday, Joe Dickey, AAW Treasurer, said there were about 2,000 signed up for the virtual symposium.
That will make it the largest symposium and probably many more more will sign up before the deadline.

What sessions are high on your list?
I have Three demos I want to see and highly recommend.

If you are looking for a demo consider these 3.

Glen Lucas- saw Glenn dome in Tampa and saw a demo June for the Chesapeake woodturners.
I highly recommend this demo if you are a novice or a frequent demonstrator. He covers the basics about as well as it can be done. As a demonstrator I get so many ideas on how to more clearly explain things.

Rudy Lopez- thin stemmed goblet is demo I have seen 5-6 times. Rudy is in my club and we have done lots of demos in the same places. This demo is just terrific. This demo is great for the intermediate and advanced beginners. These goblets are easy turned from limbs. They a fun to do. I often do 4-5” tall one at pubilc demos like the state fair.

Trent Bosch- vessels. If you want to do hollow forms or want to do them better this is a can’t miss demo. Trent is a superb demonstrator. I have been fortunate to be able to assist Trent in several classes. Familiar with his work. He is the most creative turner I know.

Everything else on the program is excellent too.
Other folks might Cindy Drozda first, I would if did Boxes
Craig Timmermans winged bowl will be great if you are intermediate level or want to get there.
Rob Wallace’s Gizmks and gadgets has been a crowd favorite at the AAW symposium for quite a few years.

293AACC9-BBC5-4B81-8F89-F6395AEC403D.jpeg

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I’m going to watch as many as I can. I don’t know how at this time, hoping for information.
If you have registered you will get an email on wed or Thursday with the Zoom link.
You should practice with Zoom if you have not used it before. Zoom with a friend or relative or someone On the forum.

The AAW has a webpage with session descriptions. Obviously a paragraph can’t do justice to the content of a 90 minute presentation. If you have some questions about a specific demonstrator you can ask it here or send me a Message using the conversation.

https://www.woodturner.org/Woodturn...Common=3#New_ContentCollectionOrganizerCommon

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
I plan to just hook up the HDMI output from my laptop to the TV in the living room and let it run all day. My wife, who doesn't turn, will just have to put up with it :)
Anything I miss I figure I can catch via the recordings.

Looking forward to all of it, but I've seen Trent and Cindy a few times, so if I need a break it'll be during their demos.

I'll be watching them all. I haven't seen Glen Zoom yet but am very familiar with his live demos and DVDs. Cindy has done the best demo I myself have ever seen with her Zoom demo. When done right it is awesome to see all the nuances of tool control and cuts that Cindy achieves. I am looking forward to seeing how they all do with these Zoom demos as I have seen a lot of them live.

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
It was mentioned you could get this on to your smart tv. How would you go about doing this in general?
If you have a newer TV it will probably be equipped with something called Airplay that will allow you to stream from your computer, phone, or ipad if they are connected to the same network. Works great with Zoom. The easiest thing I found on an older TV was buying a Chromecast HDMI dongle (maybe $20 on Amazon) that enabled the same functionality. It works most easily with the Chrome browser. I have not tried to do Zoom with it.

I am signed up for the virtual, however I won't be able to watch any of them live. Do I need to leave the computer on all day to essentially record them or will they be available without doing that. I understand I have two weeks to review them but it wasn't clear if I needed to do anything.

Looking forward to them all especially the "Gizmos & Gadgets."

Donna Banfield

TOTW Team
I just signed up. I'm looking forward to the Panel Discussions and Cindy Drozda's demo. I'm making plans to do IRD's hopefully by late fall/early winter, and want to see how she does hers. From everyone I've spoke with, her IRD's are almost the gold standard.

While I will miss the camaraderie that I always enjoyed at previous Symposiums, at least the Virtual Symposium won't put a huge dent in my credit card from the hotel bar bill each night :D

I just signed up. I'm looking forward to the Panel Discussions and Cindy Drozda's demo. I'm making plans to do IRD's hopefully by late fall/early winter, and want to see how she does hers. From everyone I've spoke with, her IRD's are almost the gold standard.

While I will miss the camaraderie that I always enjoyed at previous Symposiums, at least the Virtual Symposium won't put a huge dent in my credit card from the hotel bar bill each night :D

Have you checked out Lucidwoodturners.com? Lots of good info and how to lists on doing IRDs

Donna Banfield

TOTW Team
Have you checked out Lucidwoodturners.com? Lots of good info and how to lists on doing IRDs
I did. Joined yesterday, and had a almost hour-long phone conversation with Alan Z after joining. Looking forward to taking on this new challenge.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
With 2000 people signed up I gotta wonder how they are going to manage audience questions and participation?
The co-host will alert the presenter when a question comes up via the chat window. You can also raise your hand. And probably there will be a Q and A at the end. My demo to the 5 clubs in England with 124 attendees went very smoothly. Not sure how it will be with 300 or more people watching and asking questions.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I have to be out of town that weekend and will have very little access to a computer so I will be watching what everyone is talking about and hopefully taking it in a few days later. I haven't seen my mother or sisters now in 6 months and of course the weekend I plan to go down there is the weekend of the symposium. Oh well, family comes first.

The co-host will alert the presenter when a question comes up via the chat window. You can also raise your hand. And probably there will be a Q and A at the end. My demo to the 5 clubs in England with 124 attendees went very smoothly. Not sure how it will be with 300 or more people watching and asking questions.

You are right on this because that is the way they did it for the AAW annual business meeting. They are a bit slow answering questions but do get to it in the end. Is a little different from normal Zoom meetings as the screen looks different, I presume they will use the same formats on the Virtual Symposium.
Recordings are probably not legal but I will not address possibilities. You will have 10 days to view again.

You can Also run HDMI from computer to TV . However some may not get sound that way so run audio cable from speaker jack to TV or just listen to sound on computer.

Thanks for this suggestion. I tried it out and have both sound and picture on the big TV. Now all I need is to lay in a supply of snacks and soda pop.

I'm particularly looking forward to Trent Bosch's discussion of surface treatments and Cindy Drozda's box demo. The gadget and tips sessions could also include some useful nuggets. One of my pieces was selected for the critique as well, so I'll be glued to the screen for that. The "Turning for profit" panel discussion intrigues me as well, since marketing, pricing and the business end of this business are my weak points.

If you go to the email you received yesterday from AAW and click on the virtual trade show, at the bottom of that page it gives the zoom link, meeting ID and your Password. Strange place to bury that info. in the email.

Chuck Lobaito

AAW Board Member
I am watching the who thing and then the auctions. As for running it, we have run 300+ participant Zoom meetings at work without a hitch, it just requires people in the background. Our club runs 75 to 100 person meetings with 2 of us managing the Zoom for the demonstrator.

On Saturday, Joe Dickey, AAW Treasurer, said there were about 2,000 signed up for the virtual symposium.
That will make it the largest symposium and probably many more more will sign up before the deadline.

What sessions are high on your list?
I have Three demos I want to see and highly recommend.

View attachment 34019

I doubt if I'll watch anyone live, but I am planning to capture all of the streams to watch when I do finally have time.

PSA: If you use a mobile phone for internet access, you might consider a quick trip to Best Buy to pick up a Google Chromecast stick for you television. It plugs into an HDMI socket on your TV. After installing the Chromecast app on your phone/tablet, you can send video from your phone to the Chromecast which will display it on your television.

Edit: Forgot the nice instruction page: https://letsview.com/cast-zoom-to-chromecast.html

I was thinking I was not going to be all that interested in the beaded salad bowl or the long stem goblet, but they were great. Glenn Lucas started off the whole thing with an outstanding presentation; lots of good info and even a bit of humor. Rudy Lopez also did a great job with his demo, and while I'm not a fan of that style of goblet, it makes me want to try one.

I was little disappointed in today's lineup. Trent Bosch covered the hollowing of a vessel well, but I was hoping for more about his style, carving, and surface treatments. He covered a bit, but just at the very end. Still a great demo, just not what I had hoped. I felt bad for Mike Mahoney and his bit. Seemed a little unprepared and some tech glitches. He described some slides that we couldn't see, had a sound echo/feedback thing for a brief bit, then I think he covered the microphone on his phone muting delivery of some info. I guess I had hoped it would've been more of his evolution of his style and career in turning rather than recalling who did what and when. The tips section had a few good things, but some that felt like filler. The critique had a sort of odd selection of pieces. I was a little surprised at some of them and ended up just turning it off.

Back