• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning willow

We were heading out and saw that the power company had just cut down a large willow tree. The owner of the property said "come get all you want!"
So I got 6 chunks; I cut them to rough length. Some were 26" across. I'm just wondering who has turned this stuff before and should I be looking out for anything?
Strange thing is the center is actually reddish in color. The picture doesn't show the largest ones as I had to go back with help.

IMG_7447.JPG

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Easiest way to see how you will get on with it is to turn a small NE bowl.
Don’t shear scrape it.
If the bowl comes out furry your tool selection and use is not up to turning willow.

The willow I have turned is quite soft. It cuts well with a sharp gouge using bevel riding cuts.

scraping or coming off the bevel produces long stringy tearout.

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
I've had the same experience with Willow as @hockenbery - soft, somewhat stringy, tear prone, but cuts well with a sharp gouge. The Willow I've turned was nothing to write home about - pretty plain with little figure. Yours could be nicer if the heartwood has some color.

I will often use those difficult woods that are prone to tear as a practice opportunity (especially wood that has little figure and thus little promise of a "nice" result). Make a few practice bowls, and keep making cuts trying to get a better surface. Experiment with gouge angles, experiment with scrapers, note the difference a freshly-sharpened gouge makes. Watch where in the wood the tearout happens. When the wood is difficult, it magnifies each change you make. It's a great learning opportunity, and what you learn will apply to any bowl, any wood.

The willow in our area may be different that other spots, as it can be gorgeous, and is usually attractive. But it can be extra work to get a smooth surface.

Edit: I've added a photo of a willow utility bowl I just finished as an example.
DSC03749.JPG

Last edited:
I've turned several natural edge bowls from willow (once turned to final thickness from the beginning.) Most of them developed checks on the surface as they dried. Lots of checks, small enough that they didn't affect strength of the bowl, but large enough to be easy to see. After being filled with coffee grounds/CA glue they looked pretty sweet, a feature not a flaw for bowls used for decorative purposes.

I've turned one - it can be a little stinky. I always try to get the log that was closest to the ground - that's where the more dramatic grain is located. The stuff shrinks/warps more than most - leave yourself room and dry slowly over several months. When dry enough to finish-turn, it's a good time to practice sharpening and light cut.

Attachments

• BlkWillow before.jpg
    BlkWillow before.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 20
  • BlkWillowFinished-3.jpg
    BlkWillowFinished-3.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 21
Back