• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

OK, what is this?

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
This is Yellow Box Burl. The almost white growth is on one side, and goes completely through from one side to the other. What is that? :confused:

I'm tempted to say it's some kind of fungus, but there is a faint grain pattern within the white area that matches the surrounding wood......so, it appears to be some kind of discoloration of the wood itself. Very unusual......don't recall of ever seeing anything like this before.....o_O

-----odie-----
IMG_6016 (2).JPG

odie

TOTW Team
I think it’s beautiful I always look for wood with differen5 coloration. But I don’t know what it is. Is it just as dense as the darker wood?

Yeah, Glen......it seems to be as dense as the surrounding wood. I worked on this bowl all day yesterday, and it's done now.....except for the foot. It's still attached to the waste block. I'll try and get another photo of it later today, or tomorrow. It does have a very contrasting color difference, and I'm with you on that......looks great! :D

-----odie-----

Just glancing at it, I would have guessed it was some sort of rot caused by fungus or some thing similar. If it is almost as hard as the rest of the wood, I would have to say it is a strange coloration in the wood...

robo hippy

Odie: Nature provides a way for wood to have a defensive reaction to a foreign "invader." It could be that years ago the tree was subjected to something like a fungi or an insect and it reacted to it by developing a defensive layer around the wounded cells...and the defensive cell layer ends up looking different than the surrounding wood. It is possible that this is what you are dealing with here. In my area, I see this defensive evidence sometimes when I run across a tree with an old square nail that was hammered in the tree about a hundred years ago where the tree then sometimes encased it as a defense response. I also think that this is how a burl (cells that are different wood density, grain orientation, color, etc.) gets developed on a tree...it is simply reacting to some invasive stress. Anyhow, this is my best guess.

odie

TOTW Team
OK.....here is the finished bowl, except for the foot. It's now curing the finish coat of Danish Oil Natural. It very well may be what @Donovan Bailey suggests, and some sort of protective measures taken by the tree against a foreign object/material. I didn't see any nails, or other foreign things in it.....doesn't mean there isn't anything there, though......o_O

Any other suggestions?

-----odie-----
IMG_6017 (2).JPGIMG_6018 (2).JPG

OK.....here is the finished bowl, except for the foot. It's now curing the finish coat of Danish Oil Natural. It very well may be what @Donovan Bailey suggests, and some sort of protective measures taken by the tree against a foreign object/material. I didn't see any nails, or other foreign things in it.....doesn't mean there isn't anything there, though......o_O

Any other suggestions?

-----odie-----
View attachment 34158View attachment 34159
Hi Odie, don't know what it is either but that is one beautiful bowl indeed!

odie

TOTW Team
This is Yellow Box Burl. The almost white growth is on one side, and goes completely through from one side to the other. What is that? :confused:

I'm tempted to say it's some kind of fungus, but there is a faint grain pattern within the white area that matches the surrounding wood......so, it appears to be some kind of discoloration of the wood itself. Very unusual......don't recall of ever seeing anything like this before.....o_O

-----odie-----
View attachment 34153

Since that’s a eucalyptus it’s most likely Armillaria luteobubalina or the honey mushroom, a parasitic white rot fungus. The vast majority of eucalyptus trees that die are killed by it. Yellow Box is hard enough to show bleaching without any softening of the wood in the early stages of infection.

odie

TOTW Team
Since that’s a eucalyptus it’s most likely Armillaria luteobubalina or the honey mushroom, a parasitic white rot fungus. The vast majority of eucalyptus trees that die are killed by it. Yellow Box is hard enough to show bleaching without any softening of the wood in the early stages of infection.

Thanks, Greg.......:D

If the Armillaria luteobubalina is something that penetrates the wood at a microscopic level, then I'd say that is the most likely answer so far.
This image:
index.php

This image appears to show what I was suggesting in post #1, about how the white area displays some grain pattern that seems to match the surrounding grain of the unaffected wood.

Unless we have some additional comments/input, I think we may have the answer to the question at hand. ;)

-----odie-----

Back