• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Virtual Symposium

I have really enjoyed the symposium for the last three days. I want to thank the AAW HQ staff for a great job, especially with such a short lead time. I also want to thank all the demonstrators and panelists for the very informative sessions. I picked up a lot of useful techniques and information. However, I do have a complaint that I want to get out of chest. During Craig Timmerman's demo I found it very distracting and disturbing that some of the participants could not hold their useless opinions. Craig told us at the outset that he was using a piece of elm. However, all of a sudden people started commenting that that piece of wood looks like poplar. This stupid discussion went on for a while. Because any new "chat" automatically pops up smack in the middle bottom of the screen, it was very annoying. Most people know it is almost impossible to identify the species of wood by looking at a picture (even with very good resolution). Trying to identify a piece of wood on a video is just ridiculous in addition to being an annoyance.

The Sunday demonstrators use of a two camera screen was much better than the others. It was beneficial to have the closeup and see the body movements at the same time. That should be standard demo procedure.

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
BBergst...That requires a bit more "tech". They both had computers running real-time video editing software, multiple cameras and green-screens.
Cindy actually has a you-tube video that shows her "behind the scenes" stuff

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
BBergst...That requires a bit more "tech". They both had computers running real-time video editing software, multiple cameras and green-screens.
Cindy actually has a you-tube video that shows her "behind the scenes" stuff
The green screen does not actually do anything other than give you a different background like I can pretend I'm turning at the beach. I do not use a green screen, I do use 5 even 6 cameras for my demos.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I have really enjoyed the symposium for the last three days. I want to thank the AAW HQ staff for a great job, especially with such a short lead time. I also want to thank all the demonstrators and panelists for the very informative sessions. I picked up a lot of useful techniques and information. However, I do have a complaint that I want to get out of chest. During Craig Timmerman's demo I found it very distracting and disturbing that some of the participants could not hold their useless opinions. Craig told us at the outset that he was using a piece of elm. However, all of a sudden people started commenting that that piece of wood looks like poplar. This stupid discussion went on for a while. Because any new "chat" automatically pops up smack in the middle bottom of the screen, it was very annoying. Most people know it is almost impossible to identify the species of wood by looking at a picture (even with very good resolution). Trying to identify a piece of wood on a video is just ridiculous in addition to being an annoyance.
I believe you can close the chat window, LOL

I believe you can close the chat window, LOL

Not really. If the window was closed then there were persistent pop ups with each message. I could discover no way to turn these off.

The solution was to open the chat window, then grab the title bar and position it almost entirely off the bottom of the screen.

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
Turning off chat notifications in Zoom doesn't mean you can't look at the chat window to see the comments when you want to, it just means they aren't popping up in a distracting way all the time.

I understand why some of you found that the chat window as annoying, but I really liked seeing other's comments. In my business I study both woodturning and woodturners. Good insights could be gleaned about both. Just like from reading this forum that you're all using :).

You guys miss my point. The chat has its value but my gripe is these guys argued back and forth about the species of wood that Craig Timmerman was using, like they know better than Craig without seeing it up close. Some were saying it looked like poplar because it has a green tinge to it. Others responded saying it doesn't look green on my screen. It was like doing small talks right next to you in a face-to-face demo. That's what I was most annoyed by. If people were paying attention to Craig they would have heard him say soft hard woods are not suitable for the project. Knowing Craig he would know poplar is too soft. He also mentioned members of his group (Central Texas Woodturners Assoc) share "found" wood which this was. To my knowledge we don't have poplar in central Texas. Zoom could improve the viewing experience by putting the chat popup in the corner.

You guys miss my point. The chat has its value but my gripe is these guys argued back and forth about the species of wood that Craig Timmerman was using, like they know better than Craig without seeing it up close. Zoom could improve the viewing experience by putting the chat popup in the corner.

Andy you know "Stupid is as Stupid does" Forrest Gump. I agree the chat was totally unrelated to the demo and include all those asking for that info again. Listen and watch rerun.

As to chat it cannot be turned off by the viewer , only by the presenter or the one who scheduled the meeting. This is what you can do to hide or reduce the annoyance:
1. Click Chat at bottom of window
2. Click that arrow on the left top of the chat window
3. on the options that pop out click "pop out "
This will place the chat in a window you can move, resize, or place almost totally off screen.

Now see all these frustrations now resolved except for stupid and you can enjoy the next time. Not sure any of this will work on recording.

By the way I think for the short planning time available that the AAW did an admirable Job for a very reasonable price , even tho my figures show maybe big profit. Guys the gamble was worth it

All, I concur with Gerald’s comments. The AAW staff is to be commended for trying something totally new and on a massive scale, in a limited amount of time, I think they did an admirable job. I give them a “tip-of-the-hat” for a job well done.

Andy you know "Stupid is as Stupid does" Forrest Gump. I agree the chat was totally unrelated to the demo and include all those asking for that info again. Listen and watch rerun.

As to chat it cannot be turned off by the viewer , only by the presenter or the one who scheduled the meeting. This is what you can do to hide or reduce the annoyance:
1. Click Chat at bottom of window
2. Click that arrow on the left top of the chat window
3. on the options that pop out click "pop out "
This will place the chat in a window you can move, resize, or place almost totally off screen.

Now see all these frustrations now resolved except for stupid and you can enjoy the next time. Not sure any of this will work on recording.

By the way I think for the short planning time available that the AAW did an admirable Job for a very reasonable price , even tho my figures show maybe big profit. Guys the gamble was worth it

Good to see you on the screen the other day, Gerald. (I have been to so many Zoom sessions lately that I can't remember on which occasion I saw you.) Thanks for the tip. In other Zoom sessions I have participated, there are no automatic popups, rather it will give a red numeral in the chat indicator. You have to click on that to see the chats. I think that is much more preferable than the auto popup. I don't know enough about Zoom to tell who can set the defaults.

I think AAW has done an amazing job for a very unreasonable (low) price. I had encouraged my club to take this maybe once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to participate and I hope many of them did.

Stay safe!

Back