• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Question about lamps from Woodturners Wonders

I'm seriously considering buying Ken Rizza's lathe-track setup with at least one light. He's got a couple of choices for the lights, one being $120 and one being $55. Near as I can tell, the difference is just the number of LEDs and the more expensive one is just brighter and not different in any other way. To anyone who's got these lights, is the brighter one worth the extra $$$? If you've got either one, do you regret your choice? If so, why? Thanks in advance.

I have 2 Super Nova lamps above the lathe, and an Aurora that rides on the rip fence on my table saw plus a Galaxy Multi-Purpose Utility Lamp on my bandsaw. I have no regrets whatsoever.

If I were limited to just one, I would go with the Galaxy.

I have one, I don’t remember The model but I do not like it at all. The magnet will only hold to flat surface and the gooseneck would swing away if not positioned certain way. Mine was probably defective. I am planning to get the ikea lights.

I don't have any apecific comments on the lights you mention other than that they seem expensive for a lamp.

What I will encourage you to consider is to use more than one lamp. I have 5 that I've made from Ikea lights. That can be overkill, but I run at least 3 when turning or sanding. Multiple lights means less shaddows, a wider illuminated area and less stopping to reposition the lamp.

20200528_083715.jpg
I'm not set up to turn anything, but here's a picture of the five lights mounted to illuminate from different directions.

Last edited:
I found a use for old worn out circular saw blades. I mount my magnetic base lamps on one, and with my mini lathe, on a work bench, it holds up the lamp fine, and it moves easily...

robo hippy

I guess I should clarify: I currently have the OneWay light stand with three small high-intensity lamps that I got at a symposium mounted on it. They're stuck to an old faceplate so that I can rotate their position easily, and the light stand arm will move them from side to side. See photo. They work okay, but they get in my way more than I would like. Ken's setup looks like an improvement to me, I'm just curious about whether the expensive light is really that much better than the cheaper one. If I do buy that, I'll probably add a second (small) light on the lathe headstock for light on the back side of the piece being turned.

Attachments

• IMG_0376.JPG
    IMG_0376.JPG
    216 KB · Views: 91

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
I don't have any apecific comments on the lights you mention other than that they seem expensive for a lamp.

What I will encourage you to consider is to use more than one lamp. I have 5 that I've made from Ikea lights. That can be overkill, but I run at least 3 when turning or sanding. Multiple lights means less shaddows, a wider illuminated area and less stopping to reposition the lamp.

View attachment 33714
I'm not set up to turn anything, but here's a picture of the five lights mounted to illuminate from different directions.

Mark, i made a couple of those too and they work great and were a real bargain. I've got them on my band saw and lathe.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
I don't know about the specific lights, either, but the more light the better for me. I find my vision fading and so the light is helpful. Don't skimp on lumens :)

I've got 3 of the Beacon lamps, 2 on my lathe and one on my bandsaw. I'm pretty happy with them, though I'd like them even better if they had a little wider beam. There have been a few times when the two together have been a little too much, but I just move them away a bit and they're fine. I tried a couple of the Ikea lights on my benchtop mill, but found that they don't stay in position very well. IMHO, the Beacon lamps are a decent deal, especially on sale, but I'd have a hard time spending $160 for the bigger, brighter models.

David, I see in your profile picture you're standing with a Robust lathe. For not much more than Ken's $120 lamp I would look at Robust's lamp assembly which comes with one lamp and has room to add a second. I've been exceptionally happy with it. I use LED bulbs and find the light to be bright and it casts a wider beam than the smaller magnetic LED lights.

Thanks, Damon. Good suggestion. Unfortunately - or maybe not - I bought one of Ken's (the Aurora) with his lathe track. It arrived today and I just finished setting it up. So far, I like it. I bought one of the brackets that you use to mount the light on the track, and that was extra. The total was very close to what Robust charges for their setup. It's interesting that they offer that - I was not aware of it. I don't think they had it when I bought my lathe (ten years ago), but it's possible. It looks like a nice setup, but I think I'll be pretty happy with Ken's. Thanks to all for your suggestions. Anyone who's interested in buying a used Oneway/Sanders light stand with three smaller magnetic base lights on it AND who can come to Harrisonburg, Virgina to pick it up, let me know.

I have an inexpensive track light mounted to the ceiling above the lathe. It uses G10 bulbs that come in a lot of different wattages and can be positioned anywhere on the track. Mine has four lights. The only limitation is that it will not get down low to see inside the turning. In addition I have a "loading dock light" that is mounted on the wall assuming your lathe is close to the wall. Examples at http://catalog.lightingspecialties.com/viewitems/dock-lights/fostoria-loading-dock-lights

I have one, I don’t remember The model but I do not like it at all. The magnet will only hold to flat surface and the gooseneck would swing away if not positioned certain way. Mine was probably defective. I am planning to get the ikea lights.
Fadi, you're young enough that it may not matter, but the Ikea lights are not super bright. I estimate it puts out about 30 lumens.

I bought 3, made a couple magnetic bases and have one on top of my headstock, where it stays well. I bend the light up and down as needed, and that's often. In order for the light to make a difference, I have to get the bulb housing within about 3" of the work piece. I mounted a second one on a magnetic base for our club and high school program, and it's just bright enough to use for thin wall turning if the light can go inside the piece. For help with demos, 18-24" from the piece seems to be helpful with our cameras and closer can white out the display. Many of the demonstrators don't find it useful for themselves.

I think the Ikea light would be excellent on a band saw, and it's certainly a bargain. Just know it's not the same as the high intensity lights various companies sell.

Last edited:
stop lathe ....take close look with hand held ancient work light.....just 4' fluorescent otherwise

Dave, would you come visit my shop for a week or so? Then, l would take lots of pictures and make sure my wife inspected my shop before l did anything. (I've gone back 3 times now to look at the picture of Dave's shop. I can't see one chip any where!)

For seeing inside hollow forms, I prefer the Mag lights. The adjustable wide to narrow beam is exactly what is needed to see clearly inside a form.

I would love to see an article on light power and spectrum, and how that relates to what we can actually see. One turner said, "Never take a finished piece from the shop into the house on a sunny day. Sunlight causes scratches." I think we have all been there and done that more than once. I prefer a natural spectrum type of lighting to the more white LED lights.

robo hippy

well, like others I can't comment on woodturners wonders lamps, but can offer the solution that works great for me. I found a used dental light on ebay for about $70 (incld shipping) It was cheap because it didn't have the ballast to run the light itself, but all I wanted was the mechinism. I retrofitted with a $15 desk lamp and am using a 150wt equivalent LED spot light. The track is made from 6ft angle iron and mounted to a 2x6 on the ceiling. moves easily out of the way yet can be positioned exactly where I need it and the led puts out almost no heat. I liked it so much I found a second one a year later and mounted it over my primary workbench.
lathe stand 5 - Copy.jpg

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
well, like others I can't comment on woodturners wonders lamps, but can offer the solution that works great for me. I found a used dental light on ebay for about $70 (incld shipping) It was cheap because it didn't have the ballast to run the light itself, but all I wanted was the mechinism. I retrofitted with a $15 desk lamp and am using a 150wt equivalent LED spot light. The track is made from 6ft angle iron and mounted to a 2x6 on the ceiling. moves easily out of the way yet can be positioned exactly where I need it and the led puts out almost no heat. I liked it so much I found a second one a year later and mounted it over my primary workbench.
View attachment 33985
I've always wanted one of those! Even asked my dentist if he had any old ones laying around...no luck.

A lot of great options here....This is what has worked best for me so far. It has adjustable brightness, and a "diffuser" type of lens so that iy is not a glare inducing light. The magnet ( There are 2 per light) are strong.... Strong enough that the lights will hold onto the curved part of the headstock on the Robust AB. The flexible gooseneck is long, and they run on low voltage LEDS. And...@ 15 bucks - low risk if you dont like them....I have 2 on my lathe currently, and do not need - nor desire additional lighting.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W55K9MP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have Wood Turners Wonders Super Nova LED lamp and it is quite good. Tim Tuckers Amazon LED light appears to be the same as my light and about 1/2 the price. However, after about a year of use, the LED's failed and I called Ken to let him know about it and Ken shipped me a replacement at no charge. I wasn't expecting a replacement from Ken, I only wanted to let him know about the failure after 1 year.

I'm seriously thinking about the dust collection boom arm that Woodcraft is selling, and using it as a light holder. It looks essentially like one of those wonderful dental light fixtures. Instead of dust hose, the lamp of your choice. Voila. I'll report back if I pull the trigger.

David, I see in your profile picture you're standing with a Robust lathe. For not much more than Ken's $120 lamp I would look at Robust's lamp assembly which comes with one lamp and has room to add a second. I've been exceptionally happy with it. I use LED bulbs and find the light to be bright and it casts a wider beam than the smaller magnetic LED lights.

I bought one when I purchased my American Beauty but haven't got it or the lathe set-up yet...still getting my shop power and other things in place. It looks like a nice light though; I should get it out of its box and use it somewhere until my lathe is online.

Back