• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Adopted a club

I recently learned that some turning clubs with only a few people were struggling during these unusual times since they cannot or will not have in-person meetings. Small clubs may not have the video equipment to do online demonstrations and they may not have the funds to hire an outside demonstrator. Woodturning has been very therapeutic for my PTSD and five years ago when I started turning I depended on my local club for mentoring and learned from each demonstration. When I heard of small clubs struggling to find content or even hearing of putting meetings on hold until things got back to normal I thought that there had to be a way to help them.

I came up with a proposal and submitted my idea of the Adopt a Club Program to my local club. I outlined how we could adopt the members of a smaller club and let them join our monthly online meetings, demonstrations and chat/mentoring sessions. There was no cost factor to our club nor to the adopted club. The only time needed was to add the email addresses to our address book. Knowing what the first question might be I volunteered to liaison between the two clubs. I felt that this was important enough not to wait until the next board meeting so we gathered online through emails and unanimously voted to approve the program.

Yesterday the Inland Northwest Woodturners adopted the 14 members of the Mendocino Woodturners Guild. We’re excited to have them join us with all of our online activities until they are able to have in-person meetings again. They in turn are very appreciative to have been extended this life line.

If you have a large club and know of a small club that might be struggling please consider adopting them. I’m happy to provide more information and answer any questions.

Damon

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Terrific idea. I hope your idea encourages other clubs to support the small ones.
You might consider posting this in the Chapter section of the forum too.

our clubs here have been generous with extending invitations to other clubs to come to virtual meetings.
But nothing like the inclusion of a whole club.

Before Covid We have some cooperative efforts with local clubs here.
individual clubs lack the members to support activities like a week long class with a National turner.
3 clubs can fill 8 slots where 1 club cannot.
same for having booths at the state fair, woodworking show, or running the Florida symposium.

Terrific idea. I hope your idea encourages other clubs to support the small ones.
You might consider posting this in the Chapter section of the forum too.

our clubs here have been generous with extending invitations to other clubs to come to virtual meetings.
But nothing like the inclusion of a whole club.

Before Covid We have some cooperative efforts with local clubs here.
individual clubs lack the members to support activities like a week long class with a National turner.
3 clubs can fill 8 slots where 1 club cannot.
same for having booths at the state fair, woodworking show, or running the Florida symposium.

We have a great ongoing relationship with the nearby Mid-Columbia Woodturners. The club we adopted is two states away. Its a club that I'm familiar with as I've demonstrated for them a few times and always attend their meetings when I'm in the area visiting my parents. Now that we're doing online meetings one really could attend from just about anywhere.

I thought I would post a follow up of our club's Adopt a Club program. We are having great participation from the adopted club. Their members have been joining us for online meetings, demonstrations and chats. We've also enjoyed seeing some of their work at the show and tells.

We have room to adopt another small club or two. If any one knows of or is in a small club that is finding it challenging to have online club functions please let me know. We would love to have them join us at our online club meetings as well as our monthly chat/mentoring meetings.

Damon
bruadair@gmail.com

We have followed your lead and done something similar. So far participation is on a par with the participation of our members. We have also extended an invitatio to two larger clubs to participate when we have larger IRD on. This is something we and they have done in the past with large events.

Back