• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Review of Laguna Revo 1524 and Customer Service

Review of the Laguna REVO 1524: The Good and Not-So-Good

I selected the new Laguna REVO 1524 for several reasons: its size, its 1.5 horse power (110V) motor, the ability to adjust the height, center-to-center adjustment, and reputation for quality. The lathe arrived and, using the excellent instructions, was assembled with no difficulties. Out of the box there were two problems detected: a clicking sound coming from the head stock, and a stripped screw head that made it impossible to use the precise position function to align the lathe. I called customer service and, after a nice chat, I sent a picture of the stripped screw and a video of the clicking sound. The customer service rep determined that it was the bearings causing the clicking sound. Laguna send me a replacement screw which allowed me to fix the center-to-center adjustment and replacement bearings. I then requested a tech call me to advise me over the phone on replacing the bearings. After a week or longer with no response, I emailed my contact and received via email a page of instructions for changing the belt and bearings. I found the instructions less than detailed and asked for some additional details. I received a link to a YouTube by Mike Waldt (2017) replacing the belt and bearings on an Axminster lathe. I watched the video, but again did not consider that information to be sufficient. I was originally told that a tech would talk to me about the replacement of the bearings, but later got an email which stated that no tech would be available to talk me through the installation of the bearings due to company policy. I have made several attempts to talk with a tech advisor, but the tech support phone line has a mail box that is full. I also tried by email and got a reply stating that they had done all they were required to do and indicated that my request for tech support over the phone was unreasonable. In summary, the REVO15224 is a solid lathe with good power and is a good size for a smaller shop. However, if you need tech support, I wish you better luck than I had.

Dale ... You are much too kind ... I would be mad as hell. I don't have a Laguna lathe, but have had major issues with my 2hp Laguna cyclone dust collector. It leaks dust like a sieve (I had to use aluminum duct tape to seal leaks), and I have had major problems with the motor. Laguna was going to charge me about $400 for a motor, but they were back-ordered for 6 to 8 weeks. Wound up buying a motor from a guy in Minnesota for $100. No more Laguna in my shop.

This is pretty sad but expected. I doubt there is anyone working for Laguna in the United States that knows how to change the bearings on a lathe. Technician training at Laguna doesn’t include the trip to China to see how the lathe is put together. If you can read the product specifications page, you are qualified to work for Laguna. Good luck, no doubt you can remedy this without Laguna.

I purchased the lathe from Woodcraft and sent the review to them but it has not been published. I plan to talk with the local store manager and make him aware of the problems that I have had with customer service. At one point I emailed the tech at Laguna and ask about the hex head size on the screw for the center to center adjustment. I was told it was 3.5mm but it was actually 1/8". I tried to talk with a manager about more detailed instruction for replacing the bearing but just got back an email that said I was the problem and could not be satisfied. I gave up at that point.

Our local Woodcraft manager does very well to help customers with power tools bought through his store. I would reach out to the manager at the Woodcraft where you made your purchase and ask what their policy is regarding receiving a defective lathe. Maybe he can work with you to exchange it for another lathe. Try asking if he has a Laguna sales rep he works with that can help remedy the issue.

Update, I followed Damon's suggestion and talked with someone at the local Woodcraft store. They were surprised and said they would contact Laguna. Yesterday, I got a phone call from Laguna and they plan to send me a new headstock when one is available. Totally different attitude. Thanks for the suggestion.

There is a lesson here - when you buy a machine from a supplier, take these types of problems to the seller, including returning the machine to the seller for a full refund if necessary. That’s why you pay a bit more through a dealer. This story does not give me much confidence in Laguna. Kudos to Woodcraft, Great you ended up with a new headstock (which you should have demanded from Laguna), but the run-a-around you got is ridiculous. No way warranty means the purchaser having to replace internal parts on a brand new machine.

Last spring I was trying to decide between an Laguna Revo 1836 and a Powermatic 3520C for a lot more money, even with the 15% off sale at the time. I read some positive comments about Laguna customer service, but they were mostly commenting that their service was so good that they sent multiple replacements that the customer had to install until the problems were finally corrected. I also read enough stories like this one, that I decided to go with the 3520C. I haven't regretted that decision at all.

Laguna has always been hit or miss on customer support. Gone are the days when the owners used to answer the phone and deal with problems themselves (Robland days).

I just bought a Laguna 1524 from my local Woodcraft store, but I did not have any issues. I got covid just after I got it so it sat in my garage for two weeks before I put it together. I have not had time to turn anything yet, but I have turned it on and let it run for a few minutes, it is balanced and no odd noises. Glad you got the issue resolved.

FWIW, I have called the presidents of two companies to solve a quality issue. It works.

Website
www.bayberrycrafts.com
Brand new lathe should not require YOU to fix anything.
they should send a tech to replace the bearing or send a new lathe with a good bearing.

how did a brand new lathe leave the factory with a bad bearing and a stripped screw? are you sure they didn't send a refurbished machine?

Also gone are the days when you called for customer support and got to talk to some one who was familiar with the machine and not some one who had to read from a manual to try to trouble shoot what your problems were...

robo hippy

I just bought a Laguna 1524 from my local Woodcraft store, but I did not have any issues. I got covid just after I got it so it sat in my garage for two weeks before I put it together. I have not had time to turn anything yet, but I have turned it on and let it run for a few minutes, it is balanced and no odd noises. Glad you got the issue resolved.
Update: Fast Forward to June 2021, I was having spindle noise coming from my Laguna Lathe and after several emails back and forth with me showing them videos and such, they sent me a complete headstock assembly and I returned the faulty one. I was happy with this outcome. I am back up and turning again.

Update: Fast Forward to June 2021, I was having spindle noise coming from my Laguna Lathe and after several emails back and forth with me showing them videos and such, they sent me a complete headstock assembly and I returned the faulty one. I was happy with this outcome. I am back up and turning again.
Glad you got it solved, Mike!

i wish I had seen this forum earlier.
I bought my 15/24 oct 2020. but as a relatively new turner i wasn't sure if the issues I was having were due to the lathe or it was me learning how to use a bigger machine.

A fellow turner came over and we discovered that the headstock appears to be 'out of axis' and so the wood wobbles. Even when parting off the tool jumps because the wood is not perfectly circular. It also makes it difficult to turn fine spindles due to the wobble. When turning a bowl the portion of the bowl farthest from the headstock is not perfectly symmetrical.

Initially I thought it was my face plate so I bought a new Easy Wood plate and found a significant wobble. Sent the image to Laguna and they said they are not responsible for 'after-market' products.

So I put the spur center which WAS in the original box with the lathe and the wobble is still there. Sent that picture to Laguna, same reply.

Emailed Woodcraft and got a response within a couple of hours. They contacted Laguna and their response was: "they are pretty adamant about it not being there product".

I am pretty disgusted with Laguna's very poor customer service. A lathe of this cost is a pretty big expense , not something like a tape measure with a broken spring that one would simply replace.

I have projects I want to make and feel like I can not use my lathe.

Find out the name and contact phone number for the Laguna rep. The store manager @ Woodcraft should give you that - if you need to pressure him...what have you got to lose? I would be sure and have all of my issues, attempts to resolve via e-mail, etc in order, and lay it on him.
Agreed.
It could be the store not wanting to assume any responsibility or the sales rep. If it is in fact the machine itself then I wouldn't accept that situation. Tough deal to go through, I'm sure, but I'd say be very persistent. The faster you go away the less they have to deal with. Bother both of them until they handle it but I'd try and go to the source (sales rep), technical department, and escalate the support as far as needed to get a viable solution.

I've had zero problems w/ my Laguna 2436 except for a tailstock bolt broken during shipping. I swapped the entire tailstock unit out at the store next day no questions asked. It was a Woodcrafters store. Granted, I've had the machine only 8 months or so but I'd highly recommend the 2436. I also own a Laguna 1216 and also zero problems.

Review of the Laguna REVO 1524: The Good and Not-So-Good

I selected the new Laguna REVO 1524 for several reasons: its size, its 1.5 horse power (110V) motor, the ability to adjust the height, center-to-center adjustment, and reputation for quality. The lathe arrived and, using the excellent instructions, was assembled with no difficulties. Out of the box there were two problems detected: a clicking sound coming from the head stock, and a stripped screw head that made it impossible to use the precise position function to align the lathe. I called customer service and, after a nice chat, I sent a picture of the stripped screw and a video of the clicking sound. The customer service rep determined that it was the bearings causing the clicking sound. Laguna send me a replacement screw which allowed me to fix the center-to-center adjustment and replacement bearings. I then requested a tech call me to advise me over the phone on replacing the bearings. After a week or longer with no response, I emailed my contact and received via email a page of instructions for changing the belt and bearings. I found the instructions less than detailed and asked for some additional details. I received a link to a YouTube by Mike Waldt (2017) replacing the belt and bearings on an Axminster lathe. I watched the video, but again did not consider that information to be sufficient. I was originally told that a tech would talk to me about the replacement of the bearings, but later got an email which stated that no tech would be available to talk me through the installation of the bearings due to company policy. I have made several attempts to talk with a tech advisor, but the tech support phone line has a mail box that is full. I also tried by email and got a reply stating that they had done all they were required to do and indicated that my request for tech support over the phone was unreasonable. In summary, the REVO15224 is a solid lathe with good power and is a good size for a smaller shop. However, if you need tech support, I wish you better luck than I had.
Unbelievable! I was considering a Laguna, but will now do additional research before buying one. Dale, I have to say, you have much more patience than I..

Back