• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

access to American Woodturner.

I thought that a membership brought with it free access to old American Woodturner cxontent.. I tried to download an article from Aug. '18 and they wanted $10 for the download. Am I just wrong, or did I do something stupid?

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I thought that a membership brought with it free access to old American Woodturner cxontent.. I tried to download an article from Aug. '18 and they wanted $10 for the download. Am I just wrong, or did I do something stupid?
As @John King said likely you are not logged in
If the top of your screen shows “sign in” click it and sign in using your a AAW password.
If you need help establishing account call the AAW office and they help you through it.
A98EB767-A177-42D8-A327-1548FB73A086.jpeg

If you are logged in you will see your name at the top.
Click the resources menu for access to complete journals
5BB36D85-3276-4AF6-9605-A0347B8A8734.jpeg

I must be missing something. I'm logged in, name showing, and still can't see any issues of the AW. I used to be able to see the issues and past issues. Can't find them now. The index has all the past subject matters, but I don't see where to search for them and there are no hyper-links associated. I can get and see the Fundamentals with no problem
Thanks for the help.
Danny

I must be missing something. I'm logged in, name showing, and still can't see any issues of the AW. I used to be able to see the issues and past issues. Can't find them now. The index has all the past subject matters, but I don't see where to search for them and there are no hyper-links associated. I can get and see the Fundamentals with no problem
Thanks for the help.
Danny
Danny, I found them under Learning Resources in the lower left corner. Here's a direct link, hopefully it will work: https://www.woodturner.org/Woodturner/Resources/AmericanWoodturner/American-Woodturner-Main.aspx

Timothy Allen

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Try forcing a re-load of the page (hold down the shift key while clicking on the reload circle button top left next to the location box). Something like this happened to me when I went to look at the latest WF - the first time, no tabs, then the next time I went back to the page -- tabs for getting the current issue, back issues, etc. I'm using Firefox...

BTW, check your link it's different than mine. For some reason you're in the about section of the magazine.
I clicked on the link you listed above. This image is what I use to see, but now I don't get it. I have got to be doing something wrong. I cleaned out the cache, logged out, then logged back in. Held the shift key while reloading the page and still nothing.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
As some above have told you, we are separate from the main AAW site. If you need help there, please call the office. I have called them countless times, they are more than happy to help you. They are there to help all of us. Tell them Emiliano says hello, LOL. Aloha

As some above have told you, we are separate from the main AAW site. If you need help there, please call the office. I have called them countless times, they are more than happy to help you. They are there to help all of us. Tell them Emiliano says hello, LOL. Aloha

This morning on my Ipad, I thought I would look on Woodturner.org to see if there were any new copies of Woodturning Fundamentals that I did not have. I have never seen a website that is less intuitive than our new Woodturner.org I don't know how much it cost to do this major update but in my mind it was a complete waste. It is as though the web designer had no knowledge of the AAW and member needs. It is impossible to find a page that lists in some fashion the issues of Woodturning Fundamentals. I did a cursory search for a AWT list and met similar frustration. The idea of having to phone to get help navigating a website in this day and age is ludicrous. As I do not expect to ever attend a symposium again, the publications and site archives are what I get for my dues. Seriously considering not renewing next year.
Edit - I went to my Notebook and with Windows 10 using Chrome, I get a drop down from Resources that wants to go away at any whim, that will lead to Current and Past issues of AWT and WF. I tried Chrome on my iPad and get nothing from the Home Page Resources button except a page with a list of items, none of which lead to publications. IMHO the publications deserve a button on the Home Page with instant access to AWT & WF.

Last edited:
Mike - Waaay to harsh. Your own analysis suggests the problem is one of using Chrome on an iPad - not website design. As long as you keep the cursor on "Resources," it will not go away. - John
Same thing happens with Safari on the iPad, that is why I tried Chrome. The interface is nothing like computer browser version. Obviously more work is needed on programming for tablet use. Digital editions are read most conveniently on a tablet. Once downloaded not an issue as they are Pdfs, its getting there.

On the computer you have to move the cursor down from the Resources button to what you want to select. Without a lot of care, the whole list disappears before you can do it.

Edit - playing with it today and I find it depends on how fast you move the mouse. If you deviate off the drop down, you end up with the List I am getting on the iPad which has no access to AWT or WTF.

Last edited:

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
@Kim Rymer might be able to answer some of your questions. It is normal to see people frustrated when a website is redesigned. People do not like changes. I have no problems with the new website. I find it more responsive than the old one. If you are having trouble using your devices there are a lot of tutorials on Youtube to help you.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
The interface is nothing like computer browser version. Obviously more work is needed on programming for tablet use.

It sounds like the issue you are having is that you much prefer the desktop version over the mobile version. I understand how you feel. A lot of websites have mobile versions that don't resemble the version that you see on a larger screen. While the idea to declutter smaller screens seems like a worthwhile objective I feel like the actual implementation of mobile versions leaves a lot to be desired. The good news is that there is a solution using Safari on your iPad ... you have the ability to view the desktop version. The implementation might vary depending on the age of your iPad. Oh my older iPad 3 using Safari there is a symbol that looks like a box with an arrow pointing up ... located immediately to the right of the URL box. If you tap on the symbol there are a number of options such as "add to favorites" and "add to bookmarks". The option that you want is "Request Desktop Version". Safari remembers your preference for that particular site.

On the computer you have to move the cursor down from the Resources button to what you want to select. Without a lot of care, the whole list disappears before you can do it.

That is very interesting, but definitely not what I see on any of my desktop computers with any browser. My oldest PC runs XP Pro, my shop PC runs Win7 Pro, and newest PC runs Win10. I would guess that the most likely cause is a problem with the mouse such as weak battery or fuzz ball around the laser sensor

I agree that drilling down three or more levels is excessive for something of high importance such as Woodturning Fundamentals.

Thanks Bill. My iPad is 4th Generation, 7 1/2 years old and running into issues with dedicated Apps because of iOS version, but generally can browse most sites. Do get Reloads sometimes. Heading for our cottage this morning and may take my Notebook with me. If not will explore mouse sensitivity settings etc. Next week. Definitely will have the iPad and will explore that option. I have had it pop up sometimes. I have my Notebook setup to function as a desk computer and due to nerve pain when sitting in certain positions, particularly on a chair, prefer to use the iPad for reading, where I can slouch on the couch. Yesterday, I was totally unsuccessful in getting to a point with the Pad where I could view Woodturning Fundementals available for download! I saw on the Notebook there are three issues this year I have not downloaded. I had been running out of memory on the iPad and recently deleted about 5 GB of podcasts, so have space for WTF. The iPad cannot fulfill all my computer needs but has been extremely good value over these years. Been recharged way over 3000 times! I may call Kim next week and have a discussion with her about iPad issues. I am quite certain the software is not done yet for tablets.

Wednesday morning - having another shot at this with iPad and Notebook running simultaneously. Notebook seems to behave as it should and I can access AWT and WTF with dropdowns. Still do not think you should have to drill down to access these two most important aspects of the AAW, especialy in this Covid world which is going to be with us for some time. Am taking screenshots of what happens with iPad Safari browser and going to get in touch with Kim at AAW and have a conversation.

Edit - a light bulb went off and thanks to the link Charles provided and one I created from my Notebook for WTF, I have set up Favorites on my iPad in Safari and can now get to the digital editions of AWT and WTF. Have sent some information to Kim.

Last edited:

Kim Rymer

Communications & Marketing Director
AAW Staff
Mike Brazeau and I had a productive conversation this afternoon. He informed me about challenges he experienced while navigating to American Woodturner and Woodturning FUNdamentals content. As a result, I discovered there were some broken/incorrect links that may have been part of the problem. These issues would make it extremely difficult for anyone using an iPad to successfully navigate the content. I made revisions today that I hope will be beneficial to all iPad users. Mike expects to test the changes and let me know if there are any other revisions he recommends from an iPad user's perspective. Thanks Mike! :)

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Thanks I was logged in and tried 3 browsers....basically I was denied access.

I got it now and all the links now work great. Someone must have fixed my access problem as everything works great now

Kim Rymer

Communications & Marketing Director
AAW Staff
Back