• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Denatured Alcohol

Fresh shellac should dry extremely fast and not leave any sticky residue after 10 minutes or so. As it gets older yes that time may extend slightly but if it goes 15 minutes either the shellac is old or the alcohol is bad. Yes alcohol does go bad as far as shellac use is concerned and that is that water absorption.
Great, when I get the alcohol stove fuel I'll experiment on some wood and look for what you mentioned. Thank you.

Alcohol stove fuel works fine. But, I haven't been able to find it in any stores in Southern California yet, either.

I have used 80% isopropyl alcohol a number of times and it has worked perfectly fine. But the 99% I bought recently was better (less water). I did see gallons of 80% iso at Home Depot recently in the cleaning supplies area.

Alcohol stove fuel works fine. But, I haven't been able to find it in any stores in Southern California yet, either.

I have used 80% isopropyl alcohol a number of times and it has worked perfectly fine. But the 99% I bought recently was better (less water). I did see gallons of 80% iso at Home Depot recently in the cleaning supplies area.
Thank you all again. I just received my alcohol stove fuel from REI if that interests any Californians.

Just wanted to get back to everyone, especially those in CA. I got the alcohol stove fuel from REI and it seemed two work fine in the shine juice. Obviously they will ship that to us. Thx again everyone for the help.

Back