• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

CA dispensing

I'm assuming that most brands of CA glue are about the same. But what about the bottle/dispenser? I've started buying the tiny bottles because the spouts on even the medium size bottles get all gummed up or clogged before I can use the entire contents. We've got Stop Loss bags for finishes; what do we do for CA glue?

Wipe the nozzle with a piece of coffee filter and acetone. If it gets plugged up, I use a small micro drill to ream out the old glue.

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
Me too - no caps. I have micro-tips on the thin, not on thicker (personal preference of how I use the CA). After use, I squeeze the bottle to get any excess out of the tip (either squeeze it out or suck it back down into the bottle, depending on what it wants to do).

If you leave the caps off just make sure and clear the tube or it will plug up for sure.

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
Whenever I leave the cap off I have a plugged cap. Before I put the bottle down I squeeze it a couple of times in an upright position to make sure there's no glue in the tip, and wipe off any excess on the outside. At least 50% of the time when I go back the bottle is welded shut. I have a tiny drill in my foredom tool most of the time to re-open the tip. Wish I knew what you guys were doing differently! I'm using the Satellite City glue and bottles, but have also used Starbond.

I'm with Roger. For a while I was using a little plastic pipette that would keep in a little bottle of acetone. I would dip that in the bottle of ca glue and when I was done I'd just rinse basically, suck up and spit out the acetone a few times and then leave it in there. Not sure why I stopped that actually.

I also use Starbond, with microtips on the thinner viscosities, never use a cap, try to remember to clear the nozzle when I'm finished using it. Occasionally the nozzles will plug. I have accumulated enough extra tips and nozzles that I just throw the plugged one away.

I store bottles that I don't use as often in a jar with desiccant. Moisture is involved with the curing mechanism, so a drier atmosphere should help extend the shelf life. Sam's Club sells Jif peanut butter in tall jars. I use them since the CA bottles will fit even with the microtips attached.

Back