• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Laguna 14 BX Convert to Carter Bearings?

Have any Laguna 14 BX owners made this conversion, or any other bearing conversion? If so, has it made blade changing and adjustments easier?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Put Carter bearing guides on a S45 Minimax decades ago. Much better than the old European guides, but not a necessity for cutting bowl blanks. Just don't need the precision for that. Also green wood cutting fouls the blade and bearings worse than steel or cool block guides which scrape off the crud.

Many years ago I replaced the steel guides on my made in USA 14" Delta and of course it was a vast improvement. About 6 years ago I ran into a deal on an 18" Chinese Delta with OEM bearing guides and in the process of tuning that machine I found that the dollar bill trick between the blade and the guide does not work with that sloppy adjustment set up. The carter guides can be dialed in using a shim such as a dollar bill then tightened down and you are ready to go. The OEM guides require guessing the position, tighten, check then try another guess until you get it right.

I have an 18" Grizzly and I hated it, you couldn't cut straight or anything else. I was going to buy a different band saw but I took a chance on a little over a hundred dollars vs thousands and got the Carter setup for it. Glad I did as it made a world of difference and I am now happy with the saw.

I replaced my Laguna 14 SUV blade guides with the Carter bearing guides and it made a world of difference and it wasn't too expensive to do.

Back