• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Woodturning books.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
If you had to choose a couple of books in your woodturning collection, which ones would you pass on down to your grand kid interested in woodturning, finishing etc.
I have a lot of them. The nicest one is David Ellsworth's hardcover limited edition, signed by him; I prize that a lot. All the books from Richard Raffan have a place of honor too. The Hawaiian Calabash by Irving Jenkins is probably the one that my kids will fight for someday. Non-turning related but the books about trees and plants in Hawaii, I have them all, a lot of them. I have to walk over to my library and take a look, I might add a few later.

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
Bruce Hoadley's Understanding Wood; when you have a clear understanding of the material much of what people tell you you should do in working with it makes much more sense. Also his Identifying Wood is the easiest to use guide I know of for answering the 'What wood is this?' question.

Any and all of the Raffan books.

Bruce Hoadley's Understanding Wood; when you have a clear understanding of the material much of what people tell you you should do in working with it makes much more sense. Also his Identifying Wood is the easiest to use guide I know of for answering the 'What wood is this?' question.

Any and all of the Raffan books.
Totally agree every one should read "Understanding Wood", the picture on the jacket is something every woodturner or wood worker should look at and study.

I own most of the books mentioned above and would recommend them All to new Woodturners. I found Raffan’s publications very personable and relatable. I think if you had to sum up Raffan’s books in one word, for me the word is “Motivational”.

The book that helped me break through the beginner’s barrier was “Shapes for Woodturners” by David Walton. This dry and unglamorous publication provided Me with what I wanted and did not want to turn. The graphic representation Of each piece was extremely helpful in storyboarding pieces while I learned the subtleties of form design.

Last edited:

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com
Frank Knox’s Ornamental Turnery - A Practical and Historical Approach to a Centuries-Old Craft. Best book to start learn about ornamental turning.

In addition to Raffan’s books - particularly the Art of the Bowl, I pull out a copy of 500 Wood Bowls for inspiration when needed - hard to find these days. Flexner’s book on finishing is always in the shop.

Three books that all woodturners should have:
Richard Raffan's Woodturning book - basic woodturning in a very readable book.
Richard Raffan's - Art of the Wooden Bowl.......a bit past the basic book.....but all woodturners should have this book.
David Ellsworth book on Woodturning......just another book that all should own.....and pull out on occasion.
OK - I am off my soap box for now.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Nobody has mentioned a classic, F. Frank woodturning book. The First edition was around 1954. I was flipping thru it today, made me laugh. He says that professionals do not wear eye protection because they deflect the chips with their cupped hand. He also says that he doesn't worry about dust, he knows where is coming from, and he can avoid it, and or redirect it!! He then says he has gotten fat on dust actually, nothing to worry about! Not sure I can recommend Mr. Frank anymore after reading part of his book. When I first read it, I did not know any better, so it did not struck me as odd or funny, like now. Another great book is To turn the perfect wooden bowl, the lifelong quest of Bob Stocksdale. Highly recommended!

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
If you had to choose a couple of books in your woodturning collection, which ones would you pass on down to your grand kid interested in woodturning, finishing etc.

Looks like the original Raffan book is mentioned more than any other. I just checked mine: 2nd printing in 1986.....close to the time I purchased it. I had a couple of other older turning books, that have been lost.....one that was really old. Doesn't matter, because if you want to pass something to your grand kid, the Raffan book would be the best of those I've used. Good illustrations, and easy to read/comprehend.

I expect the Raffan book will be around for a long time to come.....

-----odie-----

Bruce Hoadley's Understanding Wood; when you have a clear understanding of the material much of what people tell you you should do in working with it makes much more sense.

Gotta agree with Roger on this one. Hoadley presents wood as an engineering material to be understood. Chapter-6: "Water and Wood" pays for the book.

Website
adamcottrill.ca
I agree with every recommendation so far, especially anything by Richard Raffan or David Ellsworth. If your young turner is interested in making boxes I would add Chris Stott's "Turned Boxes - 50 Designs". It is excellent and has something for almost every skill level.

Back