• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Getting a Nova 1624-44 home

I am upgrading to a Nova 1624-44 lathe and picking it up in my car ( Impala). my question is how easy it is to separate the headstock from the bed. I am planning on breaking it down to motor, legs, extention and headstock for my complaining back.

Once the legs unbolt you have access to the swivel underneath and can take that apart. Having a sawhorse handy to heave it up on is good. I would take the legs off under the headstock first after the sawhorse is under is, undo the head, then remove the other legs. The extra weight helps stabilize it while you disassemble. The bed if its like the 2024 should disassemble into shorter sections. Bring a shipping blanket or similar to wrap the parts in to avoid destroying your car.

I have never attempted to remove the headstock. The legs, motor, tailstock and any bed extension will disassemble easily. It's been a few years now since I bought my 1624-II, but as I recall I was able to manage the bed with the headstock attached. Of course a helper wouldn't be a bad thing--and they don't have to be super strong.

Here is a tip from the Nova manual for disassembling or reassembling the legs. Lift the lathe bed up and place it on a table or sawhorses (I used a B&D workmate). This leaves the legs dangling and much easier to put on or off. Maybe the seller could measure the distance for you.

If it is new the headstock, tailstock and legs are packed separately from the body. It is easily manhandleable but requires some thought as to assembly. Nova recommend placing rails on a set of sawhorses then attaching the legs etc then the headstock. note the motor is also packed separately and is heavy

Last edited:
Thanks to all for the replies. Taking the std rail section apart was a big help. And got the headstock/rail weight down to a little over 100#, so barely able to lug it upstairs. I am quite impressed with the design and mfg quality. Now to reassemble.

Back