• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Robo Rest

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I have noticed some threads about tool rests. I have well over a dozen tool rests. One of my favorites is the 7.5 in Robo rest made by our own prolific forum member @robo hippy I have all 3 Robo rests, the 7.5 is the medium size one. The tool rest is tilted, so you can get really close to the inside wall. It is so well designed that I'm amazed that as far as I know, it's the only one on the market with that feature. When I noticed that Robo had a video about it I thought it was overkill, but I watched and learned a few tricks! The bigger tool rest is perfect for my big calabashes, the small one I use for most of my cored bowls. I would definitely recommend a Robo rest, all 3 of them. You can't have enough toys, sorry, I meant tools

Attachments

• IMG_9923.JPG
    IMG_9923.JPG
    342.8 KB · Views: 285
Emiliano,
Thanks for posting this. I’ve been starting to look for a new tool rest, and will order one from Reed as soon as I can determine which is the best fit for my lathe.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I have been wanting a 7.5" medium rest since spring. His website says they were due back in stock In Early August. Yet still not available.

OK, what about that, Robo?

I was curious about your 7.5" rest for 20+ in lathes, too
(note: I have a 16" lathe, but would cut the post down to a specific length.)

Question for you, Robo: What is the exact distance from the top of the hardened drill rod, to the bottom of the post on the 7.5" roborests for both the 16" and 20" Lathes? Thanks.

-----odie-----
OUT+OF+STOCK.png

If it ain't one thing, it's another.... Computer ate my e-mail to the guy who makes them for me. I am expecting them any day. When new batch comes in, I will be having a going out of business sale. The business takes up too much of my fun time. Maybe Brent will start making them....

Overall height of the 7.5 for 20 inch lathes is 7 1/4 inches. Support arm is 2 1/8 inches high, post is 5 3/16 or so.

Moderators, if this is not an acceptable post from me, you can delete it...

robo hippy

odie

TOTW Team
Wow, I hope he purchased about 25 of them.......or else we might have to resort to a lottery! :D

@robo hippy Give me the dimensions from top of the hardened rod, to the bottom of the 1" post for your 16" lathe version.

-----odie-----

If it ain't one thing, it's another.... Computer ate my e-mail to the guy who makes them for me. I am expecting them any day. When new batch comes in, I will be having a going out of business sale. The business takes up too much of my fun time. Maybe Brent will start making them....

Overall height of the 7.5 for 20 inch lathes is 7 1/4 inches. Support arm is 2 1/8 inches high, post is 5 3/16 or so.

Moderators, if this is not an acceptable post from me, you can delete it...

robo hippy
Put me on list for one also please, I have the 20 inch Oneway lathe.

The tool rest that Robo Hippy makes looks good.
Take a look at the one Brett makes also. It is a bit longer, but has a bend on one end.
David Ellsworth told me about it when he was here a year ago. I got one. Nice tool rest.
I have one of the old cast iron "S" tool rests that came with a used lathe......tried it and did not like it.
I like the one that Brett makes as it will reach deep inside a big bowl.

Hugh

odie

TOTW Team

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
The tool rest that Robo Hippy makes looks good.
Take a look at the one Brett makes also. It is a bit longer, but has a bend on one end.
David Ellsworth told me about it when he was here a year ago. I got one. Nice tool rest.
I have one of the old cast iron "S" tool rests that came with a used lathe......tried it and did not like it.
I like the one that Brett makes as it will reach deep inside a big bowl.

Hugh
I also have the Robust tool rest you are talking about. There is no comparison. Robo's one has a slight angle that gets you closer to the wall, the Robust does not. Robo's largest size is as big as the Robust.

odie

TOTW Team
Glad I got my 7.5 medium for 16 inch earlier this year and can avoid this battle!

Hi Tom...... @robo hippy hasn't replied and must be busy. :(

Can you give me the measurement from the top of the hardened drill rod, to the bottom of the tool post please? (7.5 medium for 16 inch lathe)

Thanks

-----odie-----

Hi Tom...... @robo hippy hasn't replied and must be busy. :(

Can you give me the measurement from the top of the hardened drill rod, to the bottom of the tool post please? (7.5 medium for 16 inch lathe)

Thanks

-----odie-----

Odie: The total height from bottom of post to top of bar is 5 5/8". Post length is 3.5".

Tom

odie

TOTW Team
Odie: The total height from bottom of post to top of bar is 5 5/8". Post length is 3.5".

Tom

Thank you, sir........I have a special need, and it looks like the robo rest made for the 20" lathe is the way I'll have to go on this.....:D

------odie-----

Gee, at 3.5" I'm a little concerned that the post will be too short for the banjo on my Nova 1624. I'm thinking the post on the 20" would be too long.

odie

TOTW Team
Gee, at 3.5" I'm a little concerned that the post will be too short for the banjo on my Nova 1624. I'm thinking the post on the 20" would be too long.

Get the longer one, and cut it down to your specific requirements.......:D

I've done this to a few of my tool rests.

-----odie-----

Actually this was an interesting excercise to do, especially since I wasn't actually shopping for a tool rest.

The pin of the drive center is about 3 3/4" above the top of the banjo. The bottom edge of the set screw is about 1" further down. Add 1/2" to 1" to anchor the post and it come to an overall height from the top of the tool rest to the bottom of the post of between 5 1/4" and 5 3/4", so 5 5/8" is right on.

Now come to look at the tool rests I have and they run a range. The shortest are my two Robust rests at 5" overall height (so just 1/4" below the set screw). The tallest are my Hannes "J" rests at 6" overall.

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
Been wanting one of your roborests for my grinder platform for a while. Couldn't pass up a going out of business sale so got one. Thx.

Very generous of you to add the sale - also purchased a few items. Good luck and hopefully somebody will make your designs in the future.

Got mine this morning, many thanks

RoboRest1.jpg

And two hours later the bowl turned into a flying saucer and scattered debris over 900sqft, still haven't found all of it.

BrokenBowl(1).jpg

Rookie mistake, forget to check the tightness of my chuck.

Last edited:

odie

TOTW Team
Rookie mistake, forget to check the tightness of my chuck.

Wow......something like that will make you learn really fast! :D Glad you are OK.

-----odie-----

Back