• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Cored Bowls - Do you keep them as a nested set?

Website
adamcottrill.ca
Just wondering if folks bother to keep bowls cored from the same block as a nested set? I know lots of people core bowls these days, so do you find buyers are interested in purchasing two or more bowls of different sizes from the same block or is it just easier to find separate buyers for each one?

Adam

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Like most things related to woodturning - sometimes yes sometimes no.
Depends on the market.... depends on the wood...

If you have a really nice blank with spectacular grain, sapwood, burl.... then try keeping it as a set.

if it is ordinary wood there isn’t much point as it won’t be obvious they came from the same blank.

Seems like even when I have a really nice set, some one always wants one of the middle ones. I don't think I have ever sold a set... If I had a nested set of burl pieces, then I would try to sell it as a set. Most of what I do is utilitarian.

robo hippy

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
I've found it difficult to sell as a set. You can keep them together for display but decide up front if willing to sell separate or hold waiting for someone that wans a set.

Donna Banfield

TOTW Team
When I cored, I think I was only able to sell a single cored set together - a natural edge black walnut. Anyone who was interested in buying the entire set expected to get a price break on the set, because they were buying more from you. They neither cared, nor understood that each bowl still required almost the same amount of labor to finish. So I stopped trying.

I even tried marketing a pair of highly figured natural edge cored bowls as a "Mother/Daughter Set" at a gallery with no luck. My sales have just plummeted around here, even faded at my big holiday show in 2019. That was down 75% from the high a few years ago. I've done that show for decades, wife says everyone that goes to the nature center has all the pieces of mine they want. Good as reason as any.

Back