• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Old burl bark removal

I have some old redbud burl from 3-4 years ago that I want to remove the bark from but this stuff just doesn’t want to get naked for some reason. Does anybody have any good ideas for how to do this?

Many thanks

I think I used my mangled flat screwdriver that is more an awl than screwdriver. maple came off mostly easy.20201013_080250-1.jpg

If the bark is stuck after that amount of time, it will take a major effort to remove it. Fresh cut burls in the spring is the easiest way to remove bark when the cambium layer is soft and easy to break. Let it harden off and it's like it's glued on. I found a small demolition jack hammer at Harbor Freight years ago. I cut the end of the punch off to make it square and it works great to knock off spring bark. But even it makes hard work of old bark.

Darn, I hoped I was just slow on the subject but it seams the best way is the old fashioned elbow grease way. Thanks fellas

Back