• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Glue-Up Catches

New turner question. I have been practicing on spindles, and have made a couple of pens and a bottle stopper.

I wanted to make another bottle stopper with 2 woods. I glued 4 maple and cherry squares I had left from a chessboard to make my blank. But after getting it cylindrical with my roughing gouge, I had nothing but problems in the form of catches. Much, much worse than my spindle practicing. I used two difference sizes of spindle gouges. I believe the gouges were sharpened well. My technique is definitely a work in progress, but did the A-B-C, and had the tools resting on the bevel before lifting to cut, cutting downhill – basically all the things I could remember from the readings. I suspect my troubles were because I was dealing with a combination of end grain and side grain due to what I had glued up for the blank. My questions are whether my suspicion makes sense and If that is the case - would better technique have made me successful or is that combination just asking for trouble?

End grain on the spindle as it comes around from the top presents an edge the cutting edge can dig into and pull the tool into the work. Best way to deal with it is a shearing cut with the edge at a diagonal to the rotation direction. Same technique a bowl turner uses with a bowl gouge, if you have a bowl gouge you might want to try that instead of a spindle gouge so you can make use of the wings on the cutting edge.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Like @Gary Beasley said you probably have a different grain orientation with your glue up.

spindle work the endgrain is towards the centers and the face& side grain parallel to the ways.
Cuts are made toward the center of the spindle ( down hill) - these are cross cuts

face grain turning ( most bowls ) the face grain is toward the centers and the side and endgrain are perpendicular to the ways. Cuts are made toward the headstock or toward the tailstock - these are crosscuts.

cutting the face grain mounted wood like a spindle- the cut works well on the side grain and across the mid point of the end grain - then the cutting edge gets pulled into the endgrain an splits out chuncks.

It sounds like you are doing peeling cuts, which would mean your tool handle is square to the work. For this type of glue up, you would want your handle at about 45 degrees, with flutes more on the side rather than up and down, and push it from one end to the other. This makes for a shear or slicing type of cut. The peeling cuts will chip out the corners.

robo hippy

Like @Gary Beasley said you probably have a different grain orientation with your glue up.

spindle work the endgrain is towards the centers and the face& side grain parallel to the ways.
Cuts are made toward the center of the spindle ( down hill) - these are cross cuts

face grain turning ( most bowls ) the face grain is toward the centers and the side and endgrain are perpendicular to the ways. Cuts are made toward the headstock or toward the tailstock - these are crosscuts.

cutting the face grain mounted wood like a spindle- the cut works well on the side grain and across the mid point of the end grain - then the cutting edge gets pulled into the endgrain an splits out chuncks.
Al,
For the OP, as a new turner, to understand what's being said, one of your marked up pictures would be really helpful.

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't thinking about grain when I started turning my blank, but after it went so poorly I suspected that's what I was fighting. I need to think more about grain before I start turning a project.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
Thanks for the replies. I wasn't thinking about grain when I started turning my blank, but after it went so poorly I suspected that's what I was fighting. I need to think more about grain before I start turning a project.

think of wood as bundle of Straws and your turning tool as a knife edge.
Cut the wood like you would the broom straws.
the long fibers run vertically in the tree. The endgrain often looks like straws

If you slice through a bundle of straws into air on the other side the first straws will be cut cleanly because they are held in place by the straws behind them the last straws on the fare side of the cut bend and get get torn.

Some one once said learning to pet a dog is the way you cut wood don’t pet the dog against the grain.

Thanks for the help. I get the straw analogy. It's just not always intuitive to me how the analogy applies to an object on the lathe. Sometimes it is obvious to me and sometimes not. I just need get better at visualizing the catch situations before I turn. All part of the learning process.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
Thanks for the help. I get the straw analogy. It's just not always intuitive to me how the analogy applies to an object on the lathe. Sometimes it is obvious to me and sometimes not. I just need get better at visualizing the catch situations before I turn. All part of the learning process.
Grain direction is a concept that will come with practice. Some beginning turners don’t get it for years.

To make matters more complicated some blanks are cut at angles to the grain making them difficult to turn.
Trees sometime have bad manners a grow with crooked or curved grain.

this video clip may help. I show the relationship of a bowl to a spindle and a quick way to get to a cylinder of a specific diameter.

Cylinder with SideGround gouge Push & Pull cuts
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I05IYkb06Jc

A sharp cutting tool solves many problems for beginning turners, dull cutting tools will make turning a challenge no matter what proper technique is used.

Back