• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Never seen oak age/spalt like this

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
I've turned a fair amount of oak but I've never seen a piece age and spalt like this one. Such a clear distinct boundary between the heartwood and sapwood. The dark color and spalting lines dead stop at the boundary. The grain follows through but not the coloring. I see differences in the heartwood and sapwood as wood ages but this is one like I've never seen before. Can't decide if it's unique and interesting, or just odd.

Attachments

• IMG_4041.JPG
    IMG_4041.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 140
I have seen it like that however in the north woods where I live the sap wood is much less so it usually just looks discolored on the edge.

interesting definitely....have nothing to add but will follow discussion

Definition of Spalted per Hoadley's "Understanding Wood" {Partially decayed wood characterized by irregular discolorations appearing as dark zone lines on the surface}.
That is the definition I remember from when the term first came into use in wood turning and flat work and usually the mostly usable spalted wood was maple.
The current definition available on line just says rot so I prefer to go with Hoadley.

I've turned a fair amount of oak but I've never seen a piece age and spalt like this one. Such a clear distinct boundary between the heartwood and sapwood. The dark color and spalting lines dead stop at the boundary. The grain follows through but not the coloring. I see differences in the heartwood and sapwood as wood ages but this is one like I've never seen before. Can't decide if it's unique and interesting, or just odd.
That’s a cool looking piece of work. Was the darker spalted rim fragile or punky?

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
Thanks. Solid except for a few small tear out places at the peak of the wings but near the edge on the outside. Nothing soft and fits the overall look fine.

Back