• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Finish for kitchen utensils

What finish would you recommend for kitchen utensils? Am making handles for Ruth Niles tab opener and want to make sure finish lasts in an environment that will probably include wet hands.

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
Personally, I'd go with something like walnut oil, assuming it'll get you the look you're after. That's what I'm using for all my food-contact items.
If walnut oil doesn't fit the bill, I'd probably lean towards a polyurethane or something similar. Since you're making handles and not food-contact items you can use pretty much anything.
But I'd avoid shellac or any other alcohol-soluble finish, in case the item gets used in the bar.

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
I use walnut oil for all the kitchen utensil stuff I've made. All of mine have been full contact items - spoons, forks, spatulas but if they going to get wet then I think they will need some practical way to refresh them when inevitably needed. They'll likely get dropped in the sink full of water, rinsed off, etc. Most folks are comfortable with putting another coat of cutting board oil on things they have in the kitchen that are wood so it works.

For me, a handle on a tab opener would be much different than a wood spoon. A thick film finish on the opener like epoxy or polyurethane vs mineral or walnut oil on a spoon that goes into cooking.

I have used both wipe on poly and walnut oil and like both. But a question on walnut oil. Does anyone use a beal buffing system on top of walnut oil and if so how long do you have to wait for the walnut oil to dry?

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
Does anyone use a beal buffing system on top of walnut oil and if so how long do you have to wait for the walnut oil to dry?

I do buff over walnut oil. I want the oil to be cured, mainly so I don't get it all over my buffing wheels.
But I'm not going to be able to give you a good number on how long that is, because I usually do buffing in batches (not piece-by-piece).
And it often it happens just before a show, so it's anywhere between a couple weeks to several months after the oil.

One argument for oil rather than poly or epoxy is that a handle like that, if it's still wood (as opposed to plastic with topcoats) it will develop a nice patina over time from the oils in your skin.
There are many ways to skin a cat. I tend to prefer oils over thick topcoats.

Back