• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

I have the unfortunate task of breaking down a wood shop...

Hi All,

I find myself tasked with dissolving my late step-father's shop and really know nothing about it. He spent a better part of the last 12 years turning wood, probably 300 days a year +, and acquiring turning blocks from all over the world. I could sure use some guidance here in finding ways to get this equipment to folks who will find as much joy in them as he did, it would seem only fitting to do so. I will list a few items on the for sale section however did not want to be inappropriate and will likely donate anything we can't find a home for to a local trade school. Look forward to any comments you might be willing to share. Thank you.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I suggest you contact Chuck Engstrom. He is a former president of the Chesapeake Woodturners( local AAW Chapter) and the woodturning classes at MD Hall for the creative arts.
He can help you with donations and sales.....
I’ll send you a pm (conversation) with Chucks contact info)

With COVID on the rise, woodturning classroom and coop at Maryland Hall for the creative Arts (old Annapolis HS if you are a generation to remember it) are going to remain limited for a while. The Chesapeake woodturners (are meeting virtually ) have a strong relationship with MD Hall. All the instructors at MD Hall are Chesapeake woodturner members.

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
You might suggest they (the club) help you to run an online auction, with the proceeds to be donated to the club and to a cause your step-dad would have enjoyed. That ensures that the wood and materials will go to folks who will appreciate them for what they are, while doing some good. There may be treasures that might go underappreciated at a trade school.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
If you can take some pictures of his shop and post them here, I'm betting the discussion will give you more things to consider.....and, probably sell a few things to creative people who are willing to come get them.

-----odie-----

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
and acquiring turning blocks from all over the world.

This comment sparks my interest! (photos would be great!) :D

Would you be willing to box some of these turning blocks up, and ship?

Thank you.....

-----odie-----

Back