• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Basket Illusion...kinda

Ed, spectacular tops and top class presentation, but please, could we have just a tiny video of one of these tops doing what tops are made for?
Lars

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Outstanding! Ed takes the yo-yo and spinning top to the next level......instead of a simple toy, they are a break-through to an artist's category, he owns! :D

Question for you, Ed: Am I correct in assuming the string is stored in a hollow spinning top? If so, that is a great idea! :D

-----odie-----

Yes, Odie...that's right. Think of these as a pointy-box, with the button acting as a lid and the cord safely stored inside. I Make three different types of button/lids:

Poker Chip buttons:
7ac1fbb656a252d43c84b0bea5a80628.jpg

Bottle cap buttons:
babdeebfb02b747463a0c7ef88067f0f.jpg

And classic hour-glass shaped matching wood buttons:
120699920_161859102242237_3499176627988498570_o.jpg

Last edited:
BTW, a friend of mine made a video recently on how he turns throw-tops. My process is almost identical, except for a couple of details. Here's the link:

Interesting to me is that your friend uses the underhand throw instead of the traditional side/over arm throw. I have made some that would not work with the traditional throw, but did fine with the underhand throw. I have never really seen any specs on height and width dimensions for spinning.... Personally I wouldn't hollow them out since they would not have the mass and wouldn't spin as long... Nice tops. Oh, I do like the delrin tips because you can spin them on wood floors without drilling a hole in the floor...

robo hippy

Back