• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Drumsticks

Does anyone else make drumsticks? I make them for a drum group and persimmon is their choice of wood. I have 2 questions.

First, where do you source your persimmon? The last set of blanks they gave me had quite a variation in density. Each pair of sticks needs to have exactly the same finished weight, usually between 70 and 95 grams depending on the diameter. Matching the weights for these sticks proved challenging. I suspect the blanks were from different trees or different parts of the same tree. Moreover, there were pairs of sticks with exactly the same weight that had different tones, identified by tapping them on the lathe bed and hearing a different sound.

Second, I used a flat white spray paint on one order and the drummers found they were getting blisters. I’m thinking the spray paint possibly had little micro grits to create the flat effect. For the latest batch I have used a brush-on acrylic paint that seems to have a nice smooth finish. Any recommendations for type of paint?
51D93028-83DC-4C08-9F43-E94D4EB53517.jpeg BD278F25-00F7-4666-9CA9-A518167CEC0E.jpeg

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
Nice work. I've never made a set but my turning buddy has made them. I know from listening to him they are a lot more difficult to make than folks realize - hey, it's a round long stick, what can be so hard about that? Not sure he put as much detail into his as you did but said they are a challenge to get right.

There was an episode of "How It's Made" about drum sticks. The thing that surprised me was the effort taken to match the weight. Several lumber suppliers show persimmon in inventory on Goggle. including Advantage Lumber.

I know drum sticks are matched for weight and pitch. So it wood be hard for a non musician to make good drum sticks. It would be like a carpenter making a guitar that didn’t play The guitar!

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Wow never thought that it would be that complicated. I tried making conductors wands and found that conductors are extremely picky about the weight and balance so I quit making them. they are extremely appreciative of the gift but then won't use them. Never thought drum sticks would have that same problem.

Having played for many years I can tell you it would be a challenge. Look at the variety: https://sonomusic.com.au/choosing-d...Weight And Diameter,diameter) than a 5A stick.
I would change sticks many times during a job, sometimes not using any, only using my finger tips. It's amazing how sound travels from an orchestra pit and how easy it is to overpower a performer on stage.
You did a nice job however. Musician's can be fussy just like woodturners.

From what I have learned so far, it is easier to match 2 blanks that are immediately adjacent to each other in the tree. So a 1 x 2 inch plain sawn blank will yield two sticks with more or less identical growth rings and density and hence produce the same pitch. On the other hand, a quartersawn 1 x 2 can result in two blanks with different growth ring thickness and density. These are more difficult to match.

Another challenge is turning identical beaters on the end of the sticks. Even a slight difference In curvature can produce a different sound. It’s good practice for spindle turning though.

New member here.
I don't have wood turning experience yet, but I can tell you a few things from a drummer's point of view. I've been gifted sticks before and rarely play them for a couple of reasons.
1) I appreciate the effort put into the gift and would rather keep them as a collector piece.
2) As a rock drummer I break as many as 5-6 sticks in a performance, some years we'll perform 100+ times. Add in giving away some sticks and the quantity I need really stacks up.

There have been times I play a song or two with a gifted pair, then put them back in the bag for safe keeping.

I'll be firing up my lather for the first time this coming January and I'm sure I'll try making a pair of drum sticks soon after :)

Update - I made another 8 sticks, this time using brush-on acrylic paint with a foam brush applied while the stick was turning about 50 rpm on the lathe. Much better results this time. Had to apply 3 coats to obtain a solid white finish.

Back