• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Grain Patterns That Look Like Something!

I always look for a familiar map of somewhere to turn up in the spalt lines when I turn spalted maple. But here’s an image I wasn’t expecting in an ash platter I’m currently working on. Does anyone else see the speeding bullet with its accompanying shock waves slicing through the air? By the way, that’s not my finished, final cut!E3D38EF6-13F6-4F01-A97F-B681703915F0.jpeg

I was expecting an image of Elvis, but now that I look at it, it does look like a somewhat bulbous bullet and shock waves.

I recently made a small maple bowl for my grandson, but it wasn't until after I'd turned it, sanded it and finished it that I noticed a smiling face in the grain. It reminds me of a Sunday comics character named Ziggy:

Ziggy.jpg

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
My neighbor was over the other day, and says he saw a "map" in this spalted maple bowl.
I guess I can see the Mediterranean sea there, but Italy seems to be missing!
1916-12 resized for AAW forum 1900 x 1642.JPG

My neighbor was over the other day, and says he saw a "map" in this spalted maple bowl.
I guess I can see the Mediterranean sea there, but Italy seems to be missing!
View attachment 35739
That’s a coincidence! A spalted maple platter I once turned had an almost perfect map of Europe except that Great Britain was missing.

I saw a speeding space ship.... I have had other people point out things that I missed. One was a bird, head, eye, body and wings. Many faces. You just never know what will turn up...

robo hippy

Back