• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

segmented bowl project delima

wanting to include 6 pieces of glass (particular/obscure)in a 12 segmented ring, using only 6 of the segments and have the pieces of glass where the missing segments would be. Any thing I have done so far, does not work. so other ideas there could be out there may just be the one that turns the ol'light bulb ON. the pieces of glass I had cut are 1" x 2", window glass thickness . OH yes my thought too is to have that ring in between 2 other rings.
ACTUALLY I did it several years ago and have no idea HOW I accomplished it except that I scroll sawed vertical slots in the remaining segments to retain the actually mirror pieces. I do not know how to include a pic of it.

Last edited:

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
You will likely have a better audience posting on the segmented Woodturners site. They are a virtual chapter of the AAW.
https://segmentedwoodturners.org/wppaspec/oc1/cv0/ab1/pt36

I know Curt Theobald, one of the founders, used glass in quite a few pieces. Several have been pictured in the journal.

@Andy Chen who contributes here from time to time is an expert in using many non wood materials.
He may have done some glass and may chime in.

Davey, Membership is only $25 a year to rejoin. The issue with using glass in place of segments is glass does not turn well; segments require turning after glue up. There are a number of segmenters using glass in “portholes”. These areas would be away from the face of the area to be turned.
upload_2020-11-15_15-30-28.jpeg

I did this collaboration with my son many years ago; the floating bottom of this vase is glass as well as the topper. We are thinking about another joint effort in the near future.

mighty nice piece for sure, and I know a lot of thought went into that before hand. the Glass I want to use is from a broken bath room window of my D-I-L's house that I replaced. it is extremely old obscure glass, a pattern not produced for years. she has no idea that I am trying this idea. Surley Russ that is not apiece of Banksia pod in that !

mighty nice piece for sure, and I know a lot of thought went into that before hand. the Glass I want to use is from a broken bath room window of my D-I-L's house that I replaced. it is extremely old obscure glass, a pattern not produced for years. she has no idea that I am trying this idea. Surley Russ that is not apiece of Banksia pod in that !

Lol, that's pierced and then burned with a pyro tool; all of my work is suitable for burning, haha!!

I thought I would pierce and burn through a section of the acrylic too; this was a Christmas exchange piece and I had some fun doing it!! I called it California Clarity. Because the acrylic was done on the radius section of the piece, the visual clarity was slightly skewed/ refracted. This was supposed to represent CA's weird way of managing their forest ecosystems which plays a large part in the forest fires we suffer every year. The burn represented the destruction.

I have used casting material a few times in scroll sawed silhouettes for the bottom of several bowls (Segmented}, and have done an entire 7-8" bowl from casting material. I also use it to fill a forsterner bit recess when did for a chuck hold. I just want to use this particular glass this time. probably my first mistake had the glass shop make the pieces 1" x 2" when they probably should be 3/4" x something.

Timothy Allen

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Since you probably can't cut the glass pieces with normal wood turning tools, you would either have to design your segment layout in such a way that the glass pieces will be out of the way of the final turned surface, OR you would have to inlay the glass pieces later, once you've got the shape turned and about ready for finishing... Just my thoughts, not having done anything like this.

I would go the porthole style segmenting then Davey; maybe add a piece for the floating bottom!

Then again, forget all the rules that bind use to round and brown, dream of a piece and then figure out how to build it! I heard Jerry Bennett speak of this mindset and it’s a great way to exit the box!! Easier said than done but a wonderful Mantra to follow!!

You will likely have a better audience posting on the segmented Woodturners site. They are a virtual chapter of the AAW.
https://segmentedwoodturners.org/wppaspec/oc1/cv0/ab1/pt36

I know Curt Theobald, one of the founders, used glass in quite a few pieces. Several have been pictured in the journal.

@Andy Chen who contributes here from time to time is an expert in using many non wood materials.
He may have done some glass and may chime in.

Thanks for the “plug” Al!! You can’t do much better than to mimic Andy Chen!!

Back