• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Face Shield Protective Film

I bought a Peke PAPR this summer (really like it) that has an integrated polycarbonate face shield. I purchased some protective films for the face shield but need some help understanding how to apply them properly. I put the first one on and have been using for several months, it’s protecting the shield but has dozens of little bubbles between the shield and the film that are getting annoying to have obscuring my vision.

Does anyone have experience putting this protective film on without trapping bubbles? Do you float it on with water (I didn’t).

Thanks for your help
Ron

I've put on vinyl letters and signage using a spray bottle of water with two to three drops of soap to break the surface tension. We used a soft plastic squeegee from the center out to remove excess water and air bubbles so I know it works for that. Also gives the ability to slide things into position. What I'm not sure of is if the same procedure would cloud up the adhesive on the protective film. Maybe peel the one you have on it now, if you can, and give it a try.

Maybe it is the quality of the material. I bought a 40 pack for my Versaflo and have used two so far. No tape needed or bubbles, they work perfectly.

Maybe it is the quality of the material. I bought a 40 pack for my Versaflo and have used two so far. No tape needed or bubbles, they work perfectly.

William, any special technic to apply them? Start in center and work outward pushing bubbles out? Do you float on with water?

Tom, I bought mine from Amazon. There are( at least) two types of shields for the Versaflo, 925 and premium 927. The protectors are also specific to the type. I have the 927 protectors.

Ron, I need to double check, but ays protectors has a included light adhesive strip on each side. I start at one side and work to the other side and remove the adhesive protect strip. Seems tp work fine, but I’ll look later this morning.

On my 3M Versaflow I have to add some Scotch tape to the edges, all the way around to prevent the peeling of the protector.

I have the same and have not had that problem. Try cleaning the shield with dna in the area the film has adhesive. If you clean the shield when changing the film, the cleaner may leave deposits that interfere with adhesion.

The shield protectors are made by 3M. I bought them at the same time I bought the shield in late February. So I have had a protector on this shield since new. The 927 face shield has a coating for chemical protection where the 925 shield is listed as standard. There are specific shield protectors for each type.

EDIT: The one that is on the face shield has been on for about 2 months of turning. No problems.

21C2DCAA-11E5-4B13-B611-6546C3F9D42C_1_201_a.jpeg 3C69AE87-FFC0-4033-BCE0-B7A3A6A30211_1_201_a.jpeg 523455F7-05A8-484C-BC39-FBFB87DF0477_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
The ones that I got started to sort of peeling at the edges, then sawdust gets in.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
My experience is the same as what Emiliano experienced. I have both the 3M Airstream and the 3M Versaflo. I have protective overlays for both and have never been completely satisfied with them. They have an adhesive strip on the sides, but sanding dust manages to get beneath the overlay if it isn't taped all the way around, but then removing the tape is a PITA. While polycarbonate is very impact resistant, it has poor scratch resistance so sanding dust between the polycarbonate shield and the overlay leads to spiderwebbing of the polycarbonate shield. Even without dust between the shield and overlay, visibility is reduced because of internal reflections and the overlay material isn't as clear as the polycarbonate shield. I found it interesting that 3M recommends stacking a bunch of the overlays on the shield and then peeling off layers when they become too scratched. I didn't like that idea at all.

I get dust build up at the edges of the shield film with the 3m Versaflow but not dust between the film and shield. I usually have the DC duct located to grab as much dust as possible, so maybe thats why I dont have that issue. I take my time when applying the film to get it as flat to the shield surface as possible.

My experience is the same as what Emiliano experienced. I have both the 3M Airstream and the 3M Versaflo. I have protective overlays for both and have never been completely satisfied with them. They have an adhesive strip on the sides, but sanding dust manages to get beneath the overlay if it isn't taped all the way around, but then removing the tape is a PITA. While polycarbonate is very impact resistant, it has poor scratch resistance so sanding dust between the polycarbonate shield and the overlay leads to spiderwebbing of the polycarbonate shield. Even without dust between the shield and overlay, visibility is reduced because of internal reflections and the overlay material isn't as clear as the polycarbonate shield. I found it interesting that 3M recommends stacking a bunch of the overlays on the shield and then peeling off layers when they become too scratched. I didn't like that idea at all.
That’s what we use to do in motorcycle racing. Peel off a layer when got dirty during race, exposing a clean layer. Worked great.

Back