• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Tools with multi purposes!

Before I got a lathe that was capable of very slow speeds, I used a hand-held power plane to balance very out of balance blanks. Previous lathe could only slow down to ~600 rpm. It could make for very scary rough turning.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
The chainsaw is multipurpose as well.
As shown cutting on the top of the bar it is a cutting tool
Cutting on the bottom of the bar it is a texturing tool.

not something to try at home unless you are Mark Linquist.

Ok, This is real for me. Decades ago I ended up with a 4-6” spanner wrench. I never did have anything to use it for, but kept it just in case. When I bought my Axminister chuck there was no method of removal except for the chuck key, that I hate doing. Where is that spanner? Ah! Works perfectly.
94A472B2-ED66-4C98-BDF7-D6D4E58AC50E_1_201_a.jpeg

Women's makeup sponges work well for anchoring a pointy live center in a finished mortise (there are times...). Other dense foam is good too, but isn't hot pink and blue (I used them for face painting previously). Good for spreading stain and such as well. Better if they don't have makeup on them at the time. Toothpicks and BBQ skewers work for pushing fine wood dust into deep cracks before CA is added. Not good for BBQ afterward.

Well, I do more with scrapers than most do. I have long used bevel rubbing cuts with my scrapers. As much as anything, just to see if I can do it, but with the 1/4 round nose profile, I can get a very high slicing/shear cut angle.

robo hippy

Back