• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Sit down lathes

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
The robust is a great solution for bowl turners.
Ed Brannon wrote a nice article in the august, 2012 AAW journal about Adam, local guy here, who uses the Robust.
Brent English put a lot of time and love into developing the lathe.

Adam started out on a mini lathe on a tilted frame. Similar to the suggestion by John. The one issue with this is that the tool rest is tilted too. This is an inexpensive way to start.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
The tool rest is tilted at the 15 degrees but it's not a bad angle and easy to adjust. We tried other angles and the tool rest was the problem when you tilted it further.

Have never turned. Old with bad back, must sit. Anyone with info on sit down lathe please.

Ed, Vicmarc, an Australian builder of top notch, heavy duty lathes (I've owned 3 in different sizes, all wonderful machines), makes a version for use while sitting. I don't know if any of the American Vicmarc dealers stock it (Craft Supplies and a few others), but any of them should be able to order it.
https://vicmarc.com/index.php?optio...ct_id=94&virtuemart_category_id=13&Itemid=385

Best of luck with your new craft!
Steve.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I hosted Troy Grimwood twice. He is in a wheelchair. Not sure what word we can use , I think in the USA is "he's a turner with disabilities" I believe the word that is not correct anymore is "handicapped" At any rate, he turned on my Stubby Omega Lathe 750. We went to the feed store, picked up 2 pallets, and build a platform with that and some leftover lumber I had laying around. Once, his wheel slipped between the lathe and pallet, had to remove the wheel to get him out. Point is, Troy can turn on any lathe by building a very simple platform.

I hosted Troy Grimwood twice. He is in a wheelchair. Not sure what word we can use , I think in the USA is "he's a turner with disabilities" I believe the word that is not correct anymore is "handicapped" At any rate, he turned on my Stubby Omega Lathe 750. We went to the feed store, picked up 2 pallets, and build a platform with that and some leftover lumber I had laying around. Once, his wheel slipped between the lathe and pallet, had to remove the wheel to get him out. Point is, Troy can turn on any lathe by building a very simple platform.
Thanks so much, thinking same thing. Ed

Back