• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Blank to rod math

A 1 5/8" square blank. Realistically you'll want to start out at 1 7/8" or 2" to give some room to work. But a 2" square contains a 2" circle.

On-line calculator? Depends on how straight the stock is and how long. I just add 1/4" so I would start with 1 7/8". But if you need 1 5/8" square sections on the ends of the spindle, I start with a 1 5/8" square. There must be more to your question. This seems like a who's buried in the Washington Monument type of question.

No "Washington Monument" riddle, just a "newbie" kind of question. I need to make some french style rolling pins and trying to minimize my waste/costs so looking for "calcs" and "rules of thumb" You've both helped quite a bit. It seemed too obvious that 1 5/8" stock was an "ok" starting point as I felt sure there had to be some loss in bringing it to a circle. Thank you Mark & Richard and anyone else that jumps in behind. Off to the exotics wood store...

No "Washington Monument" riddle, just a "newbie" kind of question. I need to make some french style rolling pins and trying to minimize my waste/costs so looking for "calcs" and "rules of thumb" You've both helped quite a bit. It seemed too obvious that 1 5/8" stock was an "ok" starting point as I felt sure there had to be some loss in bringing it to a circle. Thank you Mark & Richard and anyone else that jumps in behind. Off to the exotics wood store...
Biggest concern is getting it perfectly centered on the drive and live center. Wood grain will make it wander the first time you put it on the lathe.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
All good advice. If it’s a straight square cut blank and you center it well there is little waste.
On a bad day 1/4” won’t be enough. Most days a 1/16 extra will be enough.
1/4” is a good comfort zone. Let’s you be a bit sloppy on the mounting.

Another way to do the turning where dimensions are not critical is to start with a blank and go for the biggest cylinder you can get for the wide part.

For me it comes down to how well I am able to center the blank between centers followed by how much tear out occurs. Since I tend to rush in the centering I find it nice to have 1/4” extra. That way you can also see if the grain is cooperative while turning a cylinder that is “too big” and use that knowledge to do the final cuts in an appropriate manner. The times I try to “minimize waste” I often find myself wasting more because it ends up being just a little narrow when it all gets true.

Since I can mill things to close tolerances, and I have been turning for a long time, I would start with 1 3/4 blanks. If you are starting with rough sawn or split blanks, then 2 inch or more. You can always make it smaller...

robo hippy

Back