• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

GAST MOA-V112-AE Pump

Does anyone know if this would be a good pump for vacuum chucking?
It’s 130.00 new on eBay

According to the specs its only 1/2 cfm, which will work but if there is any leakage you will have a hard time building vacuum. Would probably be fine for a stabilizing rig.
My gast pump, which new is quite a bit more expensive pulls 15 cfm and will tolerate leaks easily. Ive used a 5cfm as well that did good too.

I have a Thomas 2660 which I found used for about that price. It gets 3 or 5 cfm which works well but I wouldn’t want to go any lower than that or porous woods just wouldn’t stick. The nice hint about this model is they are easily rebuilt and not too noisy.

I have a Thomas 2660 which I found used for about that price. It gets 3 or 5 cfm which works well but I wouldn’t want to go any lower than that or porous woods just wouldn’t stick. The nice hint about this model is they are easily rebuilt and not too noisy.

I have a chance on getting a used running Thomas 2660 for 100 dollars. What kind of setup would be good for the valve/gauge?

The one I have is more for a vacuum press set up so would be more complex than you would need. It would also depend on what type of rotary adapter you would use, but really a vacuum gauge, a few ball valves (one for on/off and another as a bleed valve) and a few brass Tees and a few brass nipples is what I have. Also a filter in the line to try to catch the sawdust and keep it out of the pimp is a good idea. You might look at the “Joe woodworker” website under vacuum chucking to see one setup, though I have my brass hardware mounted on a nearby wall to keep weight off the rotary adapter.

I use the vacuum pump from a dehumidifier (they were free) and it is quiet and pulls 25 on my gauge. I have been using it for at least 8 years or more with no problems.

Back