• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

All-Texture Bowl in Progress

Moving wood because I was disgusted with the Giants yesterday and saw this sweep on one of the splits. SWMBO is wise after all these years, and didn't ask as I set it aside. Wanted to have a little bit of everything from the natural contour to a smooth inside, so I gave my best estimate on what would make a bowl and match the slope of the outside. Did a lot of peering and matching, and found the difference was still nearly a quarter inch at the deepest. Means a bowl almost a half inch thick, but with some interesting visuals. My question, char the edge or not? It's just sanded lightly with 120, waiting to dry, so I can brass brush white, char or char and brass. Leaning toward brushing and calling it good, because the edge is so wide.

Picture of the fuzz shows what happens with a high poke to peel ratio and a forged gouge. I really prefer it to the back cut method where you come in from the rim for interrupted edge pieces.

Attachments

• Texture-Contact-Sheet.jpg
    Texture-Contact-Sheet.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 289
what type of wood is that??????????

update us as you go please! :D

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
That piece of wood already has a lot going on with the grain and edge patterns. I think that it might get too busy if you also char the edge. After you get close to finishing, it might be a better time to make a decision about that if the natural edge doesn't seem to fit.

Bill

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
boehme said:
That piece of wood already has a lot going on with the grain and edge patterns. I think that it might get too busy if you also char the edge. After you get close to finishing, it might be a better time to make a decision about that if the natural edge doesn't seem to fit.
Working both sides of this deal -- you could lightly char the edge and then carefully glue stone chips to highlight the ragged edge ....... Just thinking outside the bowl.

Bill

I'm a big fan of interesting and unique wood myself so I'd say not to char it and do what it takes to keep the fuzz. If you decide to clean off the fuzz, heavilly char the entire rim and brass brush it lightly before hitting it with multiple soaks of eurythane oil to stabilize. This will give you a nice "pulled thisun out of the fire" look.

Dietrich

Can't keep the fuzz, since most of it's gone now. As you can see it's really fiber bent up from the peel part of the cut which wasn't cut by the poke. As such, simply sanding the outside removes most at the roots, which originate in the face, not the edge. Five secondary cracks from the splitter sure can cut into the CA supply, too.

SWMBO says it looks like "another broken bowl," so the first negative review is already in. :D

EDIT - Soft maple is the wood. Probably A rubrum. Love the sweet fermented smell of maple when you release the water.

Last edited:
[font=&quot]Michael, I have a piece of “from the splitter†that I too am agonizing over the edge. I am leaning toward wire brushing and not charring as I have seen you do in the past, as this one is quite rough and ribbed from splitting compared to a barkless edge. It will be interesting to see your finished piece and your decision on edge treatment. Now if you char the edge you may help me from trying the same.;)[/font]

Website
www.cobwebcrafts.co.uk
to char or not to char?

I think I'd char the edge and brush. I have a penchant for these type of bowls. You don't know what you've got until you've got it...most times a nice looking bowl like this one. I like the charred edge because the dark higlights and accentuates the lighter, wild and wonderful, grain and figure. And I think the dark edge draws the eye into the bowl rather than have hover over the rim.

A nice piece. I can't wait to see a "finished" shot.

Andy

Extremely interesting. I admire your creativity and adventuresome nature. I join others in wanting see how it all ends. Thanks for taking the time to put it on line.

Back