• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

How many tools is to many?

Sky

I was at my friends shop and his tool rack caught my attention. In this area he had over 60 turning tools with more on & around his lathe. He is a tool junkie for sure. His garage (AKA shop , as with many other friends) is so full of equipment that we had to shuffle side ways to get through, except in front of his lathe (we must have priorities). This is a guy who turns a couple days a week for maybe a few hours. I understand completely though I only have about 45 turning tools myself (only added 2 new ones this week). Just want to let you new turners know what you are in for. Lee Sky

Too many tools..no way

The way I look at it is when SWMBO finally smartens up and kicks me out the only thing I have a chance of keeping is the tools....but not if she finds out there are diamond points on the wheel dressers. :)

Andy Hoyt

In Memoriam
Website
www.downscaledesigns.com
You're treading on thin ice with this question, Sky. Kinda like asking yourself if one more pass with the skew would hurt the piece any. :eek:

Nonetheless, I just checked Webster's, the Encyclopedia Britannica, Wikipedia, my wife's cookie jar money ledger, and with the crazy guy in the town park who howls at the moon. There were no such listings or other corroborative information to be garnered; so I'm taking the position that such a phenomenon cannot exist in the known universe.

Website
www.aoturnings.com
Andy Hoyt said:
You're treading on thin ice with this question, Sky. Kinda like asking yourself if one more pass with the skew would hurt the piece any. :eek:

Nonetheless, I just checked Webster's, the Encyclopedia Britannica, Wikipedia, my wife's cookie jar money ledger, and with the crazy guy in the town park who howls at the moon. There were no such listings or other corroborative information to be garnered; so I'm taking the position that such a phenomenon cannot exist in the known universe.

I agree :D

I'm not sure that I understand the question?

Too many bucks in the pocket?

Too much fun with the best friend on your last night out together?

Too many smiles on the faces of the kids or grandkids when opening Christmas presents?

Too many babies for a politician running for election to kiss (and getting his picture in the paper with each one!)?

What was the question????

John :)

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Conspiracy theory ...

stnick said:
I'm not sure that I understand the question? ....... What was the question????
That is because the question does not make "man sense" -- it obviously was not asked by a man. It seems clear that a WOMAN accessed her husbands account on this forum with the intent of informing him that he has too many turning tools. This is obviously evident because a man would not go counting the number of turning tools that he has. For one thing, some of the tools don't count in reaching a total -- such as the AAW Commemorative gouges which are just for admiring. Any tool that is not perfectly sharp at the moment also can't be counted as well as tools that are infrequently used. And, you certainly can't count the skew because it is not altogether clear whether it is a turning tool or an instrument of the devil.

Bill

Website
www.artisticwoods.com
I'll tell you if I reached the too many tool point after Christmas!

Probably will be a bit closer to it, but it seems to get more and more elusive as you gather more and more tools! So keep the Christmas list long and the plans for the addition to the tool rack handy!

.... I'm asking Santa for a 1/2" skew with a thin blade and a few anti-fatigue mats and a Rolly Munro hollower and a few new buffing wheels and a 3/8" spindle gouge and another chuck, maybe some checkering tools and a set of palm gouges and .... is that enough yet Santa?!.....I mean SWMBO!

Merry Christmas!

Ray

"Too many" and "tools" cannot co-exist in the same sentence or paragraph. The proposition is therefore invalid, and debate cannot proceed.

Joe

I remember an ad on TV from years ago that asked "How many licks to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop" - never did hear an answer and don't want this question to even become a spark in SWMBO's mind!!!

Plain and Simple...

There is NO SUCH THING AS TOO MANY TOOLS, turning or otherwise! :D :eek: :cool2: And believe me, I am doing my part to prove that very hypothesis ;) .

R

Ron Sardo

This topic depresses me...

Where's the CSUSA catalog...

I need to buy more tools.

HWDWTMTW :D

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Don O. Jr. said:
There is NO SUCH THING AS TOO MANY TOOLS, turning or otherwise! :D :eek: :cool2: And believe me, I am doing my part to prove that very hypothesis ;) .
And furthermore, there is a[font=&quot][/font] corollary that states, "There is no such thing as ENOUGH tools".

Bill

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Your talking to someone who has both a lot of turning tools and a whole lot of clamps. Not enough of either one mind you but a lot. I started counting lathe tools one day and stopped at 75 (OK granted some just barely pass as tools but I counted them anyway). clamps, over 100. Sometimes when I have a couple of segmented projects going as well as a flat piece I'll have 30 or more clamps involved and you can barely walk around the workbench.
When I was checking into insurance for the shop I was originally going to itemize everything for complete replacement value. I started looking at things like clamps, files, carving tools and chisels and realized that I have a small fortune tied up in things that really aren't replaceable. How do you put a price on homemade tools or intangeables like tuning a handplane or my shop built router table or all the jigs that I've built for the lathe, router, and table saw.
I did buy insurance but if my shop were to burn I would just be at a loss to replace most of what's in there.

A couple of years ago, I built a 24' x 40' shop to hold all the tools I have. I have not filled it up yet - so that means I do not have enough tools. Come up with a problem - make a tool to fix it. What fun - more tools. Now when I get into some new wood, I always cut some to make new tool handles even if I do not have the tools to put in them. One has to be ready,
Hugh

I have found that when my wife starts counting or commenting on the amount of tools I have. (which at the moment is not very many) I just walk her to the bedroom closet, and start counting shoes and accessories. That usually keeps her quiet for a little bit. :cool2:

Jeff

Lincoln Hills, CA (At the foot of the Sierra Nevad
Website
jerryhallstudio.com
You can always trust a mentor......but not much

In the beginning I searched out a highly respected mentor. He wove a web, creating a whirling, turning vortex of inescapable appeal.. Mentors are such confident, skilled, talented, magical, trustworthy types. So I got my PM3520 and about 5 tools. All I would ever need according to my mentor. Learn a few tools well and you will be a great turner. He emphasized that turning was a skill based process, not tool based. Just a rotating vise to which you properly presented an edge.

I looked around his shop, in his drawers, on wall racks, next to and on his lathe and couldn't quite grasp how his huge tool inventory reconciled to his advice. So I hedged a little bit when I built a rolling tool cart to follow my sliding headstock up and down the ways. I put in 40 plastic tubes. More than enough for tools, knockout bar, parting saw, calipers...... Now these PVC cylinders are full. My clamp rack is being converted and the clamps are moving to the attic. I never use them anyway. My bench drawer with my now unused hand planes is full of hollowing tools and rigs. The pitiful, dusty, displaced planes temporarily sit on my table saw next to partly finished bowls. I don't use the table saw for anything anyway so that is ok.

When asked for a Christmas list I have in past years glibly declared: "Oh, just give me a Craft Supply gift certificate." It would be unkind, not to say wasteful, to let these expire. So I buy another gouge or 4 and put a different grind on them. They come in handy some times.....And Christmas is coming up again, and the gift certificates....What is a turner to do? Of course, I sought out my mentor. He said: "Oh you don't need all those tools, give them to me."

I have to disagree with folks so far. There is such a thing as too many tools.

Ok, I'm just chittin ya all. There's no such thing.

Dietrich :D

But Seriously Folks

Guess my post about clamps was right (John L., I envy your clamps), but maybe wrong about tools. Please don't buy tools you don't really need (unless, of course, you can afford to buy anything you want). Would bet that most of us do 97% of our projects with a half dozen or fewer tools. Just didn't intend to support the idea that it's ok to buy lathe tools at the expense of other family priorities.

C'mon, Richard.

You really think we'd neglect family responsabilities to buy tools? We all make little sacrifices to cover our tool budget but I'm sure we're thoughtful about it.

I mean, sure, using shavings bundled in paper towels (from the gas station down the street) instead of diapers is stretching it a touch but those things are amazingly expensive and, besides, it builds character in the kids.

Remember, recycling is a good thing.

Dietrich
:p

How many tools is too many

Once heard a Amish friend of mine, who makes very nice expensive rocking chairs, talking about his wife asking him "Just how many tools does it take to make a chair?" "Just one more dear" was his answer. So just one more thats all I need. Who could deny just one more, thats not asking for much.
Me and the wife both are wood workers, turning, carving, she does fiber art. Our house is 960 sq ft total square footage of our combined shops and wood drying/storate buildings is almost 9,000 sq ft. You never have enough tools or working space.

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
There IS a practical limit!

Kidding aside, there IS a practical limit to how many tools one has.... several of the posts already have alluded to space limitations and the need to stow tools away from the work area....case in point:

Several years ago, one of our woodworker club members built a very nice addition to his garage - well-supplied with electrical power, lighting, storage loft, heating, air conditioning, stereo, etc. - this started out as a really nice space. He is a "hunter and gatherer" from all manner of auctions and sales, and in the few years following the building of this new shop, he promptly filled the space with all kinds of power and hand tools, and large numbers of cabinets filled with various parts and supplies - essentially this shop has become a warehouse. There are boxes of things everywhere on top of stationary power tools, benches, and shelves that some day "will be put away" (.....but where?). There is not enough space to rip a 2x4, or even cross-cut it for that matter. Very narrow paths of rare "open space" now run through this "shop"; I don't think he's built a project in there in years. I consider this space totally useless, despite the fact that this guy has hundreds of tools!

Therefore, a somewhat serious answer to the original question is that when the number and volume of tools you own/have in your shop or studio begins to impede the process of actually working there and being productive and efficient with your time, THEN you have too many tools.

Since humans, and especilly woodturners, are creative people, there will be all manner of creative solutions to store one's tools safely (....although I've seen some TERRIBLE, unsafe storage solutions), and still have ready access to them when they are needed. The majority of our tools are narrow and slim, making storage and access pretty simple by comparison to flat-work tools. Thus, the number of turning tools can be quite (even ridiculously) high. Once this tool volume begins to get in the way of safe and efficient work, the "too many" boundary has been reached!!! Maybe that's the best definition?

Cheers,

Rob Wallace

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Rob Wallace said:
........Therefore, a somewhat serious answer to the original question is that when the number and volume of tools you own/have in your shop or studio begins to impede the process of actually working there and being productive and efficient with your time, THEN you have too many tools..........
Hmmmmm, ... the tool equivalent to traffic gridlock.

Bill

R

Ron Sardo

Rob Wallace said:
Kidding aside, there IS a practical limit to how many tools one has....

But that number has yet to be determined. :rolleyes:

Texian said:
Would bet that most of us do 97% of our projects with a half dozen or fewer tools. Just didn't intend to support the idea that it's ok to buy lathe tools at the expense of other family priorities.

Maybe, if all I turned was one type of turning.

The tools I use for turning bowls are different than the tools I use to turn ornaments which are different then the tools I use for turning boxes which are different then the tools I use to turn pens which are different then the tools I use to turn hollow forms. :D

I even have tools that I made that I only used once for a particular type of cut that I needed. :cool:

:) Besides, I really don't think any one of us are junkies and buy tools at the expense of our families. Most of us a just joking around.

This has been a difficult day, lots of meetings, busy from dawn till sunset(now). This thread has lightened my load....good fun and humor. Thank you.
I sometimes laugh at my self when I enter the shop and see all the gadgets and gizmos that I have bought. I do remember the wisdom of a friend when I bought my first lather.....that's the least of your expense. How right his prophesy was.
Turn on.

Sky

Whoa there!!!!!!!! Everyone take a deep breath, grab your CSUSA catalog, run down to the Woodcraft store or where ever you tool shop, get your saws & torches fired up for a tool making session. Sorry I didn't get back sooner, but I was stuck in my studio for two days turning (had to make six new tools too) while my stepsons car was getting repaired. It was only a hypothetical question like many other great unanswered questions throughout mankinds history. The number of tools we need is "like" trying to find the last # of pi. 3.14 to infinity.......... On several occasions I've had to stop turning, spend 2 hours to make a specalized tool that I used only a few times. So relax, make some shavings, cut some steel, turn a handle (or six), buy a new tool or several used tools, or give a gift cert to a buddy. Everything will Turn out fine. :cool2:

Sky

jumper60954 said:
I have found that when my wife starts counting or commenting on the amount of tools I have. (which at the moment is not very many) I just walk her to the bedroom closet, and start counting shoes and accessories. That usually keeps her quiet for a little bit. :cool2:

Jeff
Last year I redid my stepsons Aunts closet. Had to put in a single door where double doors were to make room for a shoe rack to hold 250 pairs. Lee Sky

Rob,

I've only got one issue with your formulation of the situation. It assumes that, when the volume of tools begins to impede your ability to work, it is a "tool" problem VS. a "space" problem.

If you look at it from a more realistic perspective, you can never have too many tools. You can, however, have too little space.

Dietrich
(hee, hee, :D )

dkulze said:
Rob,

If you look at it from a more realistic perspective, you can never have too many tools. You can, however, have too little space.

Dietrich
(hee, hee, :D )

I'm planning on using this on SWMBO tonight. Time to replace the old non-cranked table drillpress. Just wish they made them as well as this one is made. Sadly, my back is not what it once was.

Perhaps your woodworking club member is a collector and not a woodworker. :D If so he will probably never stop collecting tools and a bigger warehouse may be in order. I approach woodworking in a buy what you need process to do the project that I am working on. This has continually increased the number of tools - gadgets - jigs in my shop. So far I havn't run out of space, projects, or tool needs. I look forward to purchasing new tools and learning how to use them. Cheers for new tools - it is Christmas time :) :)

Lance Mirrer

AKA "taxman"
Website
taxmancpa.com
How to store for easy access

So we've determined you can't have enough tools. As a new woodworker (who has already accumulated almost enough, just need that one more ...) I am looking for suggestions on storing and identifying them.

Well,

I was going to say that you have too many tools when you forget that you already have one of those, and buy another just like it a few months later.... :p

but I'd probably be kicked out of the man club just for suggesting it, so I'll keep my thoughts to myself..... :D

Back