• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Flutes and Chanters....

Website
www.myspace.com
Hello all,

Among my many learning adventures for turning on a lathe, I am now curious about learning at some point turning flutes and chanters. Has anyone or does anyone do this? Where can I find info about how to's for this? I have seen some site on tunred flutes, but it is more selling their product than how to's. Like its a sacred art or something. As of now, I have a basic idea on how to do it, but there are some areas that I am not sure or would love to learn it.

Websites or article would be great. Thanks for your time. Also what is a common wood used for turning these instruments? Can just about any wood be turned for them?

Thanks,
Ray
~Gothcy DEsigns
Vancouver, WA

I am also interested in this. I hope we get a reply from someone who has some know-how. Thanks for posting.

I have a wee bit of experience with bagpipe chanters.

African blackwood seems to be today's material of choice. I'm going to be doing some from pearwood, as I have been told it's very stable and good for such things.

You can check out the forums at BobDunsire, or the Amateur Bagpipe maker's group on Yahoo.

I've also been told that Bagpipes, by Anthony Baines is an excellent resource if you can find a copy.

Hope that helps!

-Joe

Also:

The Irish Bagpipes, their construction and maintenance by Wilbert Garvin, Blackstaff Press, 1978

The Northumbrian Bagpipes by Cocks & Brian, published by the Northumbrian Pipers' Society, Newcastle upon Tyne, 1975.

All book references were kindly provided by Johnpipe, a poster on Woodnet.

-Joe

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
do a search for "Building Wooden Flutes" There are a lot of resources I saw when I searched for that.

Attachments

• Flute3.JPG
    Flute3.JPG
    7.4 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
Website
www.myspace.com
Hi Freddy,

Thanks for the pic. I have seen some like it, pertaining to the oregonflutestore, which I found lastnight. I have noticed thought that most of the native american style flutes all kinds look the same and the difference is the reed embelishment or carvings.

I was thinking about getting that book or one like it. I'd have to backtrack where I saw it to see if it was the same one.

So is the reed assembly hard to make? Or easy? by the pics, it almost looks like it hangs in the wind chamber, but not having a cutaway of one its hard to tell.

Thanks again for the suggestion. With the flute you made, how long did it take you to make it? Did you need any special tools or are the general shop tools that most people would have? Did you carve it or make on a lathe?

Thanks,
Ray
~Gothyc DEsigns
Vancouver, WA

The flutes don't have a reed, here is a web site that shows how the air splitter is made. http://www.flutetree.com/nature/InsideNAPF.html I made this one in two pieces and hollowed out the inside with a 1" round nose router bit. The fripple is basicly carved and an assortment of small files are helpful also a dremel. After I made the blank I turned it with a wooden mandrel on the lathe. You probably have all you need to make it already. A guitar tuner is also handy and you can get one for about $20 if you don't have one. Im thinking of making one by drilling the bore in several pieces and putting it all together. I've seen the web site of the guy making one and he has a machine shop. This is not like that. It is wood work.

Website
www.myspace.com
Freddie,

Thanks for the link. That helps. It is a lot different than I thought it too be for the tone. It would be cool to see some progression pics of your next flute you described. If not no worries.

I have a guitar tuner, I've built 2 guitars. Some day I'll make my dream 12-string electric.

Thanks again.

Ray
~Gothyc Designs
Vancouver, WA

Back