• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Chef clogs

Randy Harris, who is on the board with me at John C. Campbell, would be the one to talk to. He is a chef and a turner!
I have worn my clogs, the only problem being if hard steel drops, it can be problematic. They are comfortable to be sure....just have to decide. After a couple of close calls, I wear steel toed boots. I think they have saved me on a couple of occasion.
Maybe Randy will see this thread.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Well, I don't wear chef clogs, but I do wear Crocs. They rock. They cost about $30-$40 bucks depending on model. Look for a local retailer so you can try them out. Wear 'em in the shop in the winter and Birkenstocks in the summer. But I guess, I'm that kind 'a guy.

http://www.crocs.com/home.jsp

How about a good pair of hiking boots?

I don't know about chef shoes, but as far as crocs are concerned I don't see how something that's going to let all kinds of shavings and chips get in and around your feet is going to be comfortable for long.

Ed

Mike Cunningham said:
I'm thinking of getting a pair for wear at the lathe. They're supposed to be fantastically comfortable, offering all-day support. I figure if they work for a chef on his or her feet for over 12 hours per day, there must be something to them. Has anyone used them and if so what was your experience?

Thanks,
Mike

Worn with heavy socks they are terrific. I can't wear them without the heavy sock. Being plastic they can be cold this time of year. Mine are Birkenstocks and I've worn them for the last three winters in my shop. Wouldn't be able to spend the whole day otherwise. Gettin' older, parts are wearin' and am carrying a couple too many lbs. :rolleyes:

Steve Worcester said:
Well, I don't wear chef clogs, but I do wear Crocs. They rock. They cost about $30-$40 bucks depending on model. Look for a local retailer so you can try them out. Wear 'em in the shop in the winter and Birkenstocks in the summer. But I guess, I'm that kind 'a guy.

Yeah, I don't shave my legs either.

The arch support in the Birkenstocks is legendary. They do come in patterns with hard leather toes, but I guess I consider dropping tools to be a problem that isn't. You're wearing pants, right? More likely to hit them or you in the leg than toe. Apron perhaps.

The "Birkies" so popular in hospitals are a great option, providing a closed toe, albeit without steel, and a full cork replaceable insole. Sort of like Crocs with cork. I wear the Crocs in the garden, where I throw them into the footbath to soak after rinsing my feet inbound. Perforated toes are much easier on the feet when weeding in the sun.

If you saw me at the lathe you'd realize why "standing for hours" doesn't apply. I'm leaning in, drawing back, twisting and shifting like a Hasid at the Wailing Wall. Helps keep the cuts under control and the circulation in condition. Might want to have a heel and a non-heel option available to shift the weight for you if you're not a body shifter.

I've used clogs, not neccesarliy chef clogs, but still clogs. Although I find them comfortable for other places they just never seemed good in the shop. Of course this was more with flat work so I was all other the shop instead of standing at the lathe.

Several years ago I noticed the skaters in my classes all wearing "Vans" tennis shoes. One day I tried on a pair and they were like heaven, they are so overpadded and cushioned. I started wearing them everyday to work so I have bought several different styles and colors. I figured if they are that great for running around my classroom they would work in the shop also. So as they get dirty or worn they become "shop" shoes. I never tie them, just slip them on and tuck in the loose ends of the laces.

Biggest problem I have is chips and shavings falling in them and eventually working their way through the socks and into my feet. I always seem to have splinters around the top of shoes that sometimes will get infected. I know I could stop it if I would wear long pants but for some reason I just can't stand long pants in the shop.

Max Taylor

In Memoriam
I have those interlocking pads all around where I work in the shop. With the soft padding it affords It doesnt matter which shoes I wear. In the summer I wear a velcro version of spats my wife made for me. Just plain cloth wrapped around my ankles and fastened with velcro. they go below the shoe tops and shed the chips and dust quite nicely. That way I can wear open strap sandals with no discomfort. That is my solution and I am sticking[oops] with it. Max

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I also use those foam squares right in front of the lathe......works great for long periods of standing.

The most comfortable shoes for me have always been tennis shoes. They are making some unbelievably comfortable ones these days.....but, I've found that the cheapest aren't such a great bargain. You generally get what you pay for, so spend some money and choose well!

Right now, I have a pair of Nike air. I just can't seem to wear them out!....been using them daily, at work and at home, for nearly a year now......and, man, are they comfortable!

....odie

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
MichaelMouse said:
Yeah, I don't shave my legs either.

You're wearing pants, right?
I quit shaving my legs when I stopped racing bicycles (10 years ago?) but I rarely wear pants in the shop either. Let me rephrase that, I usually wear shorts in the shop instead of pants.

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
Check out Brikenstock garden clogs. I often wear them, good support, reasonable protection, comfortable, etc (actually I managed to wear out the soles on one pair... tough to do)

Website
www.jesswetherhold.com
crocs

Hello everyone. Although I am new to turning I have been a woodworker for several years and also have been in the restaurant business for over 12 years. I wear my crocs in the shop and I think they are fabulous. I purchased the "professional" style from the crocs website. They work out pretty well for lathe work for they do not have the holes in the top. They still have the ones on the sides to keep your tree hugging feet cool. :) One blast of air and they are clean again.
Just my humble opinion.
Jess

jw1175 said:
Hello everyone. Although I am new to turning I have been a woodworker for several years and also have been in the restaurant business for over 12 years. I wear my crocs in the shop and I think they are fabulous. I purchased the "professional" style from the crocs website. They work out pretty well for lathe work for they do not have the holes in the top. They still have the ones on the sides to keep your tree hugging feet cool. :) One blast of air and they are clean again.
Just my humble opinion.
Jess

I have to agree about the ease of cleaning. Mine look almost new after a year of constant use.

Back