• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What was your first lathe?.....then, now, and the future.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
This is a fun thread.

I first got interested in lathe turning around 1981, or so. I probably would never had tried wood turning, if it hadn't been for the Shopsmith I had at the time. I bought the Shopsmith at a garage sale......$200, if I remember correctly! Anyway, it had a 5/8" straight non-threaded arbor, faceplate and a few turning tools that came with the deal. I can remember a bowl that broke in several pieces, one which hit the ceiling at a pretty good clip and left a mark for me to ponder it's power in flight!

I sold the shopsmith and purchased a Northwood lathe around 1985, or so. It was offered from a startup company that failed.....so you've probably never heard of it. It was a heavy lathe, about 500lbs, and had a variable speed drive that was mechanical in nature. I'm not sure if I'm remembering this correctly, but I think the speed range was between 600rpm and about 1600rpm......usable, but could have been better! It's VS drive was a very large variable pulley. It didn't work all that well.....belts kept slipping and you had to be careful not to exceed the range limits of the operating lever, which was easy to do. When that happened, you had to stop everything and it was at least an hour's project to get the belt drive back into operation.....what a hassle! I sold that one, too.

Then, around 1990, I purchased a 16" Woodfast lathe from CSUSA. This one is a real honey of a lathe. I sort of wish it were larger capacity and had variable speed......but, overall, it's been a great lathe.

The future? If I win the lottery, I don't think I'd waste too much time to purchase a Vicmarc VL300 lathe.....with a variable speed, dammit! For what I do, it seems to be about perfect.

What about you? Some pics would be nice, if you can manage it. Any input you can give about your old and new lathe would be interesting to hear. Campfire stories and tall tales are invited!!!!.....or, horror stories!

....odie

Attachments

• Woodfast lathe (2).jpg
    Woodfast lathe (2).jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 499
Last edited:

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I started with an electric drill mounted to my workbench and an Lshaped block of wood with a lag screw for my tailstock. I made handles for my files.
Then I got a shopsmith and got rid of that and got a Delta 46-700. I had some problems with it and got a J-Line that didn't have any parts. A friend built the headstock spindle for me and I used his metal lathe to build the tool rest, guts to the banjo and modified a Delta quill feed to fit the J-line tailstock. That was a pretty decent lathe after I added a DC motor and controller.
Then I bought a Nova comet mini which is a great lathe, probably the best mini as far as I'm concerned. I did modify it by cutting a hole in the bottom of the headstock and mounting the motor below it in a seperate box/stand.
I then purchased a Nova 3000 which was pretty good once I built a heavy stand with 300 lbs of sand in it. I never did like the banjo, it flopped when loose and made it hard to line up close to the work and I still had a lot of vibration when turning out of balance work. I think that was because of the wood to metal bounce.
I got rid of the Nova and bought a Powermatic 3520A which I now turn on. I love it. I still turn on the Nova Comet because it's just much faster for small stuff.
I also have a Carbo-tec mini which I demo on, 2 Jet mini's that I'm modifying, 1 Dremel toy lathe, one antique spindle lathe and one homemade treadle lathe, and a small metal lathe.

The first lathe I ever worked on was in Jr. High in the mid-1960's. It was a massive General model.

The first lathe I ever owned was a cheap Sears model, purchased around 1978.

Currently, I have three...Powermatic 3520B for primary turning, Oneway 12/24 mainly set up for vacuum chuck finishing, and a JET Mini dedicated to three-wheel buffing.

Website
www.aoturnings.com
I started with Jet 1236...I learned on that lathe and it is a good value lathe. I bought a backup lathe when the Jet mini VS went on sale for $200.00.

As faith have it...a PM 3520B parked itself in my garage. I wasn't looking but I see it as a huge blessing dropped by an angel :) .

To make room (in my shop/garage) and generate much needed cash, I regretably sold my Jet 1236. Would have made a great buffing station :D.

Started with an old General, not sure what model. Currently own a 16" short bed variable speed Woodfast and just purchased a Stubby 750.

odie

TOTW Team
I can see we have some superbly talented and experienced turners on woodturner.org.

As I've said before, I've been turning wood, as more than a passing interest, for more than 20yrs, but up until a couple weeks ago, have NEVER communicated with any other woodturner....ever! Because of that, nearly all of my "skills" are pretty much self-taught. I've read a few old books and have seen a few videos, but have always been out of "the loop". I probably call many things by the improper names, and have learned some things bass-ackwards! In spite of that, I've learned, and discovered a few pretty neat things that seem to be uniquely my own, too!

I've been hanging out on this forum, night and day, for the past month or so! I've learned a few things, and have unlearned a few things, too!!!! Besides that, I've gone over many of the gallery pics.....and, have gotten lots of inspiration for new designs.

If some of my comments and questions seem incredibly naive.....well, that's probably because they are! :D

John Lucas.....here's my question for you: What are you referring to, when you mention "banjo"?

Keep on keepin' on, gentlemen. (Well, not to ignore the fact that there are a few lady turners, too!)

otis of cologne

Last edited:
I started with my dad’s pre WW II Delta 6†swing. Except for several furniture legs and repairs I had no real interest in turning. Can’t recall when exactly, I came across a picture of a couple Bonnie Kline tops, these left an impression. A short time later I heard about an AAW turning chapter in the neighborhood and joined. Can you spell "slippery slope?" Sold the Delta, refurbished a J-line, sold it, and bought and will keep a 3520A. I’m currently the care taker of the Chapter’s 3 Jet Minis and a V-100.

John what kind of modifications are you performing on the Jets?

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Its fun to think back.

I started with a used 12" delta with step pulleys in 1975
then in the 80s i trade up to a big used 12 " delta with variable speed reeves pulleys.
around 1987 I got more seroius about turning.

in the early 90s I bought a new 20" woodfast - a fine machine
in 97 I bought oneway 2436 a real fine machine.
in 99 I bought a oneway 1018 for small things (I got lucky and paid for it with Ornament sales in two months)

My wife was using the woodfast for quite a while. in 2005 we got an almost new but used General 260 with electronic variable speed. A bit heavier than the woodfast, the locks on the tool rest and tailstock are a bit better and it came with an outboard bed and toolrest.

Maybe next year a Oneway 2416 to replace the general.

We still have the woodfast and use it mostly for classes.

happy turning,
Al

My beginning in wood turning occured at dinner with Ed Moulthroup, a neighbor. He showed me his lathe, a massive piece. I decided to build my own using the components of the Conover lathe. I turned on this for a number of years. When I spent a sojourn in the Republic of Texas, I turned sporadically. Returning to Atlanta in 2001, I took lessons with Nick Cook and pined for a Powermatic lathe. Fortunately, Willard Baxter turned me on to a lathe owned by Joe Matwick, one of the super glue gurus, who sold me the third PM made, originally intended for Nick Cook. The first went to Rude, the second to Willard. I have the third. It is my main lathe. I would love to have a B, but have not found a reason to make a move. I still use the Conover for long spindle turning, but the PM is the choice most of the time.

A friend needed a nail gun and I had one I didn't like. I traded it to him for a lathe he had won as a door prize. It was a Tiwanese round tube piece of junk but it got me hooked. Six months later I bought a Powermatic model 90 that had been in a high school shop (I hate to see them closing out the shop classes. Not everyone is meant to be a computer nerd.) It is in wonderful condition and is my most used lathe. Last summer I bought a used Nova 3000 from a turner in the local club who was moving and couldn't take it with him. I wanted something I could turn big pieces on. I gave the first one to a friend who is now hooked and looking for a decent machine. :D

Started off in HS, using a Delta they had. First one I owned was a used Montgonery Wards sold unit made by Magna (same company that made Shopsmiths) for about 15 years. I then bought a used Delta Double Duty lathe from a college. I sold that after about 10-15 years and bought my first new lathe. Bought a Jet 1642-2 about 2 years ago and love it.

Paul

I started by my wife holding a piece of wood and rotating it while I hammered and chisled it. OK I'm kidding. I learned in high school on an old powermatic later my first lathe came from Big Lots department store for a whoping $99 bucks which was about like having my wife turn the wood. Then I had a shopsmith, then a nova 3000. I am currently trying to decide whether to fix up an old rockwell delta lathe I have by putting a new motor on it. It looks just like this onehttp://owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=3367 Or I may get a new one all together seems like the favorite with you guys is the pm3520.

I started turning about 3 years ago when I bought a used craftsman monotube, am saving for a pm3520b, now i'm hooked I might as well get something I won't have to replace. :D :D

IAN

Ballard (Seattle) WA and Volcano, Hawaii....on top
I started about a year ago and going with my philosophy of not stepping lightly into a venture, I bought a Jet 1642PS. Been very happy with it. I would like to pick up a Jet mini at some point though (I know, this is backwards from how we are supposed to do this) simply because lugging that 450 lb jet about to club demos is a bit awkward....though, I have done it! <grin>

Dave

Montgomery Wards "PowerKraft" 14" variable speed with solid beercan-thickness stampings and plastic case was my first. Learned a few things with that one, including the obvious, which was there would always be a "better" one out there. Learned that by using the big ones up at the college then coming home to him.

Since then a 46-204 standard Delta 12" 4 speed, and my 3000, who marks his second anniversary here in another couple of weeks. There are certainly better ones out there. Know a guy who just figured out that his 3520, my drool lathe, wasn't enough and got a Oneway. Matter of fact, that's how I got my 3000, though I paid for it. Owner was moving up. The first lathe went to one of my sergeants who was interested in woodturning as the mixed blessing that it was, with the proviso that it never changed hands again for more than he gave for it - nothing. Second one goes to my eldest at the same price.

Max Taylor

In Memoriam
first lathe

My first lathe is a Delta 46-701 given to me by my son-in-law who was too sick to use it. He died of bone cancer a year ago. My second is a Jet mini belt drive, no variable speed. About a year ago I made the leap and bought a PM 3520b, my last lathe. Still use all three. The mini goes on demos, the Delta for intermediate work and the PM is the primary lathe in my shop.
Excuse me, I have 9 mesquite blanks calling me to come and turn. Bye, Max

Website
www.turnrobust.com
Like John Lucas, I started by using a hand drill clamped to a work bench. I used a wood screw with the head cut off and mounted in the chuck as a screw chuck and turned plugs for powder horns (didn't think to make a tailstock, John was ahead of me on that).

My next lathe was a home made thing my Dad bought at an auction for 25 cents. Had a wooden bed and used an old Model T generator as the headstock. Guts had been removed from the headstock and some sort of spinde was rigged up that had a three step wooden pulley. The drive spur was a nut that screwed onto the spindle that had a couple of metal dowels drilled into the face of the nut to stick into the wood. Tailstock was fabricated out of the Model T jack. Tool rest was a board mounted on a couple of metal angles. I still have this lathe up in the rafters. Should dust if off and take some pics of it.

From there I graduated to a 10" Rockwell metal lathe, and then to an 18" antique pattern makers lathe. I now turn on the first Robust lathe ever built.

Fun to remember!. After seeing a program on PBS, and reading one of the Foxfire books about making and using a pole lathe, I rigged up an old electric motor with a face plate made of a pipe flange held on with a set screw and tried to make a bowl using an old half-round wood chisel. That did not work to well, to put it mildly. So I bought a Craftsman lathe, a cheaper one, with the lathe bed made of two chrome-plated tubes, a solid head shaft (threaded - no MT). I kept that for about 10 years and was able to make some lamps and some fairly nice bowls. If you tried to make anything heavy or too off-balance to start, there was so much flex in the bed that the piece would come flying off (if held between centers). I had to drive oak wedges under the bed to stabilize it! :eek:

Sold that about two years ago and got a Jet 1442, with which I am very happy. The fellow I sold it to makes only pens, and not many of those because of his work committiments, but it still works.

Started on highschool beasts like so many did, way back in 1980 (well, way back for me). On and off on the odd lathe at workplaces from there till 2000. Bought my Jet Mini then and it's still my favorite lathe. Such a great little indestructable workhorse.

Picked up a friend's old Nova a couple of years ago. REALLY old model, with the round rails (2" solid) and way underpowered but still a workable lathe. Has electronic variable, reverse, dynamic braking. All nice features. As soon as I can figure out how to pay for it, will probably pass that one along and pick up a 3520 to hold me for a few years.

My dream lathe for a long time was a Oneway but, lately, I've been increasingly tempted by Stubby. A couple of friends have them and I've turned on them. Awsome lathes for non-spindle turning. Also interested in trying out a Robust.

Dietrich

Website
www.FWCWT.org
Odie:
Our turning club has that same Woodfast lathe. A couple of years ago Ron Browning upgraded the motor on it and added electonic variable speed. Not sure what it cost, but it sure makes that beast a pleasure to use!

I first turned a set of staved flour & sugar canisters (made of black walnut @ .50/board ft.) in High School. My 96 year old Mother is still using them. Then many years of not turning anything. Then about 15+ years ago a friend died - and he had an old lathe that no one in the family wanted. It was a Dunlap cast iron 10" lathe run with a washing machine motor. I bought it from the widow. (My Niece now has it but doesn't really use it. ) I used the Dunlap for a few years and then purchased a used 12" Delta. Good lathe but still too small. I think I only had the Delta about 1 1/2 yerars before I purchased a used 20" General with a Reeves drive. Still have that one in the garage (I have not made up my mind about selling it). Used the General for a long time - then when the Symposium was in Pasadena, I phoned Oneway and inquired about what lathes they were going to bring to the show. They still had room for one more - a 2436. I picked it up in Pasadena and have loved turning on it ever since. It has been a fun trip to this point. Woodturning cost me a bunch of money though as I had to build a 24'x40' shop for the Oneway to go into.

dkulze - 1980 is not way back there.
Hugh

I turned my first clunky bowl in Jr high Shop class... And then a hiatus of 20+ years.

A few years back now I was going to make a piano bench for my lovely wife, and was going to turn some reeded legs to match the piano...

I bought some Maple and borrowed (for an indefinate amount of time) a cheap lathe from the same guy. It had stamped out sheet metal housings and square tube ways, with cheap castings for the tailstock and tool rest. I think it must have been bought at Big Lots, but HF has a similar lathe (If you can dignify it with such a title).

Well. I scrapped the idea for the legs and made 'em square instead, but kept the lathe I borrowed. I turned a few things on it for the boys; bonkers, a gavel, a mallet, and a light house for my office, and some miscellaneous tools for me.

As I got a little more serious (I joined a startup club here and got wrangled into being the newsletter editor :confused: ) the lathe was just not adequate. And then the bearings started giving me a lot of trouble so I sold it and bought a Jet Mini.

Wow. What a difference. I love that thing. It's a tremendous amount of lathe in a small package.

I'd love to have a Powermatic 3520 or a Jet 1642, but the money just isn't there. Perhaps I'll save enough to get one of those new Nova lathes for just under a $1000. Lately I've wondered about the Steel City stuff coming out too....

First lathe

First lathes used where in Jr. High and High School, Powermatic's (I believe) early 70's. When I decided to get back into it in 2002 I bought a used Grizzly G1495 this past October I decided I was having too much fun and purchased a Powermatic 4224 now I'm really having FUN :cool2:

Frank D.

I started in high school back in the late 70's on the Rockwell Delta lathes and turned a lot. I have taught high school shop for the past 24 years and have the two rockwell delta lathes in my school shop to turn on. Just started building my shop behind my house for when I retire. Should have most of the tools I need by the time I retire. The first tool will be a 1640 oneway followed by a good Bandsaw.
Jack

Website
www.mikecunninghamwoodturner.com
I started with a Jet 1236. The next lathe that I purchased is my current lathe, a Vicmarc VL300 3 hp shortbed. Knowing that there was no sense in buying something smaller and later reselling and moving "up" again, I bought the most machine that I could afford. I had sold a boat and this enabled me to afford the Vic.

Then about a year or so back I bought a VL100 mini from the Rude Osolnik estate sale. It's equipped with a Leeson 1/2 hp DC and Minarek controller. This I mounted on a portable stand that I built with locking casters. Good for turning small stuff while in the shop and for taking to demos and chapter meetings.

Finally about 3 weeks back I purchased a 1971 Rockwell /Delta 46-201. I host members of my chapter at my shop and wanted another full size lathe. I also enjoy old tools and restoring them, in fact I do the same with boats. Anyway, I'm in the process of restoring this oldie.

If money were no object I suppose I'd buy a VB36 with all the bells and whistles. However, I'm extremely pleased with my Vicmarc and confident that this will be my primary machine until I join Rude. Only mistake, I should have bought the long bed because you never know and actually I've had a few "you never knows" since buying this one. Of course the Rockwell will cover that error in judgment.

Next and when funds permit, I'd like to grab an old Unisaw to restore.

Mike

odie

TOTW Team
Czarcastic said:
Odie:
Our turning club has that same Woodfast lathe. A couple of years ago Ron Browning upgraded the motor on it and added electonic variable speed. Not sure what it cost, but it sure makes that beast a pleasure to use!

Czarcastic.....

I get the itch sometimes to do the changeover to VS.....always seems to be something else I need more. :D

I did weld a little attachment inside on the motor mount. This makes it much easier to change belt speeds by pulling up on the motor and flipping the catch with my thumb......kinda ingenious, if I say so myself!

Someday, I may do the changeover, though.

I've been impressed with the Vicmark 300 lathe.....may just get one of those instead..........someday! :rolleyes:

I am really enjoying reading about all the reminiscing, men. Keep it up! I'm enjoying doing searches of the different kind of lathes and checking them out.

odie

Last edited:
I started out with my wife turning a piece of wood and I would hammer and chisel it. OK I am just kidding. I started on a big lots department store special 99 dollars. And that is about what it was worth. I then had a nova 3000. In a couple of weeks I will probably purchase a powermatic 3520.

You're right, this is a fun, lively thread! I started turning as a kid, maybe age 7 or 8, on my Dad's Wood Wizard bench lathe. My Dad was great with kids and had a full shop and let us have the run of it all. Think this little lathe (6" throw and 32" bed) was made sometime around the late 1930's. Last thing I turned was maybe when I was 14-15, say 1975. Went to work, college, had a career, then about 8 years ago my brother said he had Dad's old lathe and never used it, did I want it? Sure, I'd be happy to have it (our Dad passed away in 1986). So my husband built a sturdy bench, mounted Dad's old Wood Wizard lathe, set up the motor mount on a hinge and I started playing around on the lathe again. Got really serious about it, so enjoyed it then and really enjoy it now. So did some research for about 2 years and about 5 years ago bought a VB-36. Beautiful machine! Use both lathes all the time. Really fun to read what all you guys and gals have to say! Jude

Judy Kingery said:
You're right, this is a fun, lively thread! I started turning as a kid, maybe age 7 or 8, on my Dad's Wood Wizard bench lathe. My Dad was great with kids and had a full shop and let us have the run of it all. Think this little lathe (6" throw and 32" bed) was made sometime around the late 1930's. Last thing I turned was maybe when I was 14-15, say 1975. Went to work, college, had a career, then about 8 years ago my brother said he had Dad's old lathe and never used it, did I want it? Sure, I'd be happy to have it (our Dad passed away in 1986). So my husband built a sturdy bench, mounted Dad's old Wood Wizard lathe, set up the motor mount on a hinge and I started playing around on the lathe again. Got really serious about it, so enjoyed it then and really enjoy it now. So did some research for about 2 years and about 5 years ago bought a VB-36. Beautiful machine! Use both lathes all the time. Really fun to read what all you guys and gals have to say! Jude

WOW, tha's quite a jump from the Wood Wizard to a VB-36 ! Enjoyment is somewhat of an understatement?

Hey Jake,

Yep, it was/is a big jump, and yes, how much fun! I also sure appreciate reading through everyone's comments. Lots of inspiration! Best to you, Jude

Had a go at turning at High School in the early 70's, but choose metalwork over woodwork for the last two years at High School. Have no idea what the lathe was then. I do remember it was big and green, could be a number of makes.
In the late 80's made a few small bowls on a metal lathe that I converted so I could turn wood on it. I did this in my spare time at work.
Did nothing more untill about six years ago, had some spare cash (first time since I got married and had a family). Bought a Jet 1236, good lathe but the frame was flimsy. Got the bug real bad. needed to be able to turn bigger bowls. had all these design idea's in my head but the lathe was to small to make them.
So I built a 24'x 16' shop (keep the size down so I can keep it heated)
and bought a VB36.
Keep the 1236 for spindle work. of which I do very little.

Nigel

Website
www.mljwoods.com
My journey

My turning addiction began about 25 years ago on a Crafstman tube type lathe that my father had. I learned to make candle stick vases and miniature baseball bats. About 10 years ago I got back into woodworking after finally settling down in a place where I could have my own shop. I purchased a 1934 Delta Double Duty lathe that was in great shape for $100. It even had the original owners manual with it. Less than a year passed and I realized this lathe would not allow me to produce the things that I wanted to make. Next on the purchase list was a Delta 45-460, variable speed lathe, from the NC school surplus sale for $350. This lathe was an improvement over the last two that I turned with, but it still lacked the capacity and the speed control that I felt that I needed. Four years ago I purchased a used Oneway 2436. This is when the vessels that had been trapped in my head started to become a reality. Capacity, rigidity, speed control, horsepower, and reverse make turning a pleasure. This lathe is still there and used almost every day. In December of 2005, I added a new VB-36. Both machines are truly a joy to operate. Hollowforms are my favorite turning, I usually start them on the 2436 between centers and shape the outside, then transfer to the VB-36 for hollowing where there are no obstructions between the vessel and myself. I am still amazed when lifting a 300 pound block onto the VB with an engine hoist, and within a few hours, removing it and holding it with one hand.
My father was amazed at the difference that the Oneway and the VB made when he turned on them. He now has a new Oneway 1640 after all these years and his turning really improving.

Michael L. Jones
Clemmons, NC

My first lathe was a birthday gift of a HF34706 2 1/2 years ago from LOML.
I was thoroughly sucked into the vortex and within 2-3 months knew I wanted to do bigger bowls(all Bill Grumbine's fault.) So I started saving for a bigger lathe. After some research the decision was made that it would be a PM3520B. My second and last lathe arrived two weeks ago and has been hard at work. The HF34706 is pleased it doesn't have to work as hard anymore, and is currently a permanent Beall buffing station. LOML is considering to take it as hers and begin turning. My bet is that it remains as a Beall buffing station.
I was quite satisfied with the 34706. It did everything I asked of it. But I have to say the PM3520B is like being in heaven.

Stoppy

odie

TOTW Team
Valkyrie said:
Capacity, rigidity, speed control, horsepower, and reverse make turning a pleasure.

Michael L. Jones
Clemmons, NC

Michael....

I can certainly understand why all the other things are nice to have......but, I'm not understanding why reverse is important. Enlighten me, please.

....odie

Website
www.mljwoods.com
Odie,

Reverse is very benificial for two reasons:

1. Sanding seems to work better if you change rotation direction each time you change to a finer grit paper. Think of how wood fibers that are not sheared off with an extremely sharp tool bend due to the pressure of sanding. Reversing the directions bends them back the other way and they break off. It works! Trust me.
2. I hollow a lot of vases on the 2436 because I have a large steady rest that bolts to the ways of the lathe. With the lathe turning in reverse, it is very comfortable for me to hollow the oppostite (in)side of the vessel rather than attempting to lean over the bed and position the tool back towards me.
I must stress that to do this safely, the method of holding the work, ie. faceplate or chuck, must be locked onto the spindle by means of setscrews as Oneway has provided for this purpose.

I hope that sheds a little light on your question.

odie

TOTW Team
OK, thanks for the reply, Valkyrie.....

Yes, I can see how sanding may benefit from reversing directions. That's a thought for sure. I can also see why the faceplate or chuck should be locked to the spindle.....I wouldn't have thought about that!

Most motors are reversable. Is there a method where it can be wired so it can be done with an electrical switch....switching back and forth on demand?

....odie

Website
www.mljwoods.com
Odie,

Yes, many AC motors allow you to reverse rotation by switching the leads but they start at full rpm when power is applied. This sudden start, on a lathe not designed to include a MCC (motor control circut) for an electrical variable speed drive, would probably generate enough torque to unscrew a faceplate or chuck from a non locking spindle. It could be done I suppose but not with just a single switch. One would need to include a reostat or a speed pot between the power input and the motor, provided the motor can be used with such a device to alter rpm. There is such a device for altering router rpm but I am not positive it would work for this application. I am by no means an electrician. I used to do some machine design at work but most of that was mechanical components and mechanisms. So maybe a few others with more electrical expertise than I, can answer your question definitively.

Valkyrie

1st lathe

my first lathe is delta 46-715

i have been turning barely over a year :D

Back