• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

How much do charge for club dues?

As vice-president of the NorCal Woodturners, I volunteered to find out what other clubs are charging their members for yearly dues. Ours are currently $30/year and we're thinking of bumping that by $5, with additional family members still paying $10/year. We're also instituting a pro-rated system for those who join mid-year and wonder how others handle that issue.
Many thanks in advance for your input.
Don

John Van Domelen

Retired Forum Admin
GCWA dues

Ours are 18.00 per year - don't think we pro-rate for mid year - although its entirely possible I am mistaken. I think our current membership is ~ 220 paying members.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
We have a real small club in my town and charge $12. We raise more money by bringing in wood each month and raffling this off. The larger club in Crossville charges $20. I don't remember for sure but I think the Nashville club which is much larger is $25.

Presque Isle Woodturners, Erie, PA. We charge $20 per year, an additional $10 for family member, and youth 18 and under are free with attending adult member. We discount membership to $10 after June. We also stress the importance of joining the AAW. The North Coast Woodturners in Cleveland that I belong to charge $20 a year and you "must" be a member of the AAW.

Our club charges $24 per year and we pro-rate for new members. Existing members are the full amount no matter when they renew. Spouse is included in the member fee. We have a bring back auction each month to keep fees low.

Ballard (Seattle) WA and Volcano, Hawaii....on top
From the Big Island

We have 2 clubs now on the Big Island with everyone on the island welcome at either club. The Big Island Woodturners club has no dues, but requires that you attend a minimum number of meetings each year to be considered a member. Membership gets you a discounted rate at a demonstration, access to the lending library, and the priviledge of entering pieces into the annual Big Island Woodturners Show.

The second club (forgive me folks, but I am having a brain fart and can't remember the name of the new club!!! Someone in the club pipe in please!!!) chose to have a $20 annual dues, but not minimum attendance. They are still organizing and I am afraid I have not been able to attend a meeting yet so I am not sure what their membership benefits are, but I suspect they are similar to the Big Island Woodturners.

For both clubs, we raise additional revenue through having pieces donated for sale at the Annual Show, and for sale in several Big Island Galleries. We also offset costs a bit by having a minimal fee to attend a demonstration or a class.

Hope this helps!

Dave

We do not have dues at this time. What little expenses we have are covered by raffles and such. AAW membership is recommended and required for officers and demonstrators.

We are a fairly small but active club and charge $25 per year. All membership starts on July 1, no prorating, but if you join in last three months of membership year it will cover the next whole year also. We do not require general membership to be in AAW but we do STRONGLY encourage it, plus officers and any demonstrator must be a member.

Bulk of our funds comes from raffles of wood and other stuff donated by members. We have also been lucky to come out ahead on bringing in "pro" demonstrators for all-day workshops and charge extra for those. We never intend to come out ahead but we always seem to get pretty good crowds at the last minute.

To be honest the best money I spend each year on my woodturing is AAW and especially our local club dues. More good friends and advice than I could buy any where. I have belonged to a lot of special interest clubs over the years but have never met a better group of people than woodturners!

Dues

Woodturners Guild of Ontario
www.wgo.ca

Our dues are $45.00. We have about 130 members and we try to bring in two name turners per year at no charge or very little extra to the membership.

We also invest in equipment for hands on nights and audio visual equipment. 5 lathes and full projector system for demo's.

I see everyone else is much lower than this but the extra money gives us the room to put on top notch demo nights without charging extra.

Plus we spend about $1000 dollars on insurance a year which I am not sure it is needed but others do.

The Bayou Woodturners have three levels, $15.00 student, $25.00 regular and $30.00 family. We encourage husband/wife teams to pay family but most will pay a regular each. If they see where the $$$ are going, it appears to be fair and just, and if the club is growing in quality, they will readily pay what it takes to run a good club.

Let's see. 20 for the year, prorated through the year. 5 demo fee if it is someone out side of the club. 5 for the monthly raffle, optional, but worth your while. Silent Auction where you can unload trash and treasures, proceeds to the club. That's about it.

A.

Club Dues

Our newly formed and just official chapter, Superiorland Woodturners, in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, charges $25 for dues but we have implemented an assessment of $35 to get a projector so we can show videos. We are starting to have auctions of wood and other items to increase our funds.

how big

what is a normal size of a club?

how many experienced turners or what ratio of experienced turners to "others"?

:confused:

Back