• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Mobil cart for Powermatic 3520B

John Van Domelen

Retired Forum Admin
I would like to be able to move my new toy out of the way when not in use.

I found an example of how someone accomplished this in the 3520 thread in tips. Pretty neat - but would like something a bit easier to set up - gonna need to move it fairly often to use my table saw.

I would be very interested in how others accomplished this.

Pics a plus (esp if its a home-brew job)

Thanxs!

-- John

This is the easiest and least expensive way I've found to move my lathe (and other equipment) around the shop. It's called a Triple Dolly Caster made by Waxman Consumer Group and sold at Lowe's for $7. I just jack up the end of the lathe and slip one under each leg.

I also have a hydraulic lift table. I think the dollies are easier, more manueverable and they certainly are a whole lot less expensive. They also don't take up a lot of room when you aren't using them.

Credit to my local Woodcraft store for the idea.

Ed

Attachments

• CRW_9955.jpg
    CRW_9955.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 44
My Pm3520a has 4" casters on it. I drilled out the legs and put on urethane casters with geared swivel locking wheels.

Ed_McDonnell said:
This is the easiest and least expensive way I've found to move my lathe (and other equipment) around the shop. It's called a Triple Dolly Caster made by Waxman Consumer Group and sold at Lowe's for $7. I just jack up the end of the lathe and slip one under each leg.

I also have a hydraulic lift table. I think the dollies are easier, more manueverable and they certainly are a whole lot less expensive. They also don't take up a lot of room when you aren't using them.

Credit to my local Woodcraft store for the idea.

Ed

I bought a set of those same casters to move our piano without tearing up our new wood floors. It simply crushed them, and that piano weighs less than a PM 3520. If you can't find some reall big casters and find a way to mount them then the next best thing is a forklift, those monsters are not light!

woodwish said:
I bought a set of those same casters to move our piano without tearing up our new wood floors. It simply crushed them, and that piano weighs less than a PM 3520. If you can't find some reall big casters and find a way to mount them then the next best thing is a forklift, those monsters are not light!

I've moved my PM 3520 all over the garage many times with those casters and haven't had a problem. If you move the headstock to midway, that's less than 200lbs per caster. Maybe they sell different quality casters in your area??? Maybe your piano weighs more than you think???

You definitely don't need a forklift to move a PM 3520. It's 630lbs and you can lighten that load by taking off the tail stock. Plenty of alternatives short of a forklift available.

Ed

John Van Domelen

Retired Forum Admin
Found a link to these somewhere

http://www.mjvail.com/carrymaster.htm

OR

http://www.footmastercaster.com/

Am looking at 4 of the AC-300F 300S units - they look like they can be directly attached to the holes the regular levelers use.

It would seem the unit when not in 'mobile' mode sits on a fat Polyurethane leg.

Any thoughts? like ( don't do it - your lathe will fall on you :D )

-- John

Lincoln Hills, CA (At the foot of the Sierra Nevad
Website
jerryhallstudio.com
Back