• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Sharpening with 6 inch grinder

I am interested in using a Wolverine sharpening jig to sharpen turning tools on my Baldor 6 inch grinder. However I have heard that the Wolverine ( and other) turning setups don't work with a 6 inch grinders. Is this true? If not, is there something special I need to do to set up my six inch grinder so it will work properly with these jigs?
J. Tyler

KEW

J. Tyler said:
I am interested in using a Wolverine sharpening jig to sharpen turning tools on my Baldor 6 inch grinder. However I have heard that the Wolverine ( and other) turning setups don't work with a 6 inch grinders. Is this true? If not, is there something special I need to do to set up my six inch grinder so it will work properly with these jigs?
J. Tyler

A spacer to raise the grinder is required for an 8" grinder, so you can figure on needing a bigger spacer.
While a 8" grinder is considered the "sweet spot" between cost and performance for turning tools, a 6" will work fine.
Chris Stott uses a 6" in his own shop. He acknowledges that a 8" might be nicer, but can't see buying another grinder since he already has a perfectly good one.
I also know at least one pro turner in the Atlanta area who uses a 6", he especially likes the portability it offers over a 8" when he does classes or demonstrations.

Cheers,
Kurt

Website
www.bowlturner.com
Hi J.

It will work just fine. I just had to raise the grinder up a bit to get the measurements to what Oneway suggested. I used this one for years. I finally went to an 8" grinder, I only changed because the wheels are 1" wide on my 8" grinder as opposed to 3/4" on the 6"

I just used a piece of plywood under the grinder to get the proper height.

http://www.bowlturner.com/Sharpening_station.JPG

Dave

Captain Eddie said:
No big deal, learn how to set it up properly and you've got it. This link will get you to some details on how to grind an Ellsworth from David Ellsworth. Set up your jig accordingly and you're in.

http://www.bayouwoodturners.com/capsnotebook.htm

And to keep the jig set right, see the jig I make for my grinding jigs. Set it and forget it, that is until you dress the wheel.

http://www.bayouwoodturners.com/swapshop.htm
Have fun, be safe.

Capt.

Went to look at the sharpening stuff and found all kinds of great info, thanks for sharing all this. To anyone that didn't take the time to check it out, you should!

Ray

My ancient Sears 6" grinder works fine with the OneWay Wolverine.
I use 1" x 6" Pink wheels that I think were purchased from Woodcraft, but the only 6" wheels I can find there now are 3/4". So, maybe I will follow Dave, and get an 8" grinder when these wheels wear out.
Gil

Last edited:
Raise the grinder or lower the jig as Eddie does. Or forget it and freehand, using the tool as its own jig. Six versus eight comes up in grinders all the time. If slow speed is better, which is another bit of grinding wisdom, then 6 should be better, because the speed's slower. If only there weren't so many famous names brought up endorsing 3450, there would be no problem.

We all know that beautiful edges are produced by honing under hand power at slow speeds, just as we know that beautiful cuts are made by carving gouges at equally pathetic slow speeds. So why do we say faster speed at the lathe makes smoother cuts and slower speed at the grinder makes better edges?

Of course 1' stones are available for 6" grinders, so that's no problem. With only one point of tangency possible at a time, never did matter on a curved edge. Some say the wood knows the difference between 0.002 and 0.003 air gap in a hollow grind, but all the pieces I've asked have given me a blank stare and ignored me as if I were crazy. I don't think they can tell whether the bevel was made by a 6 or an 8 or any of the in-betweens.

Guess the summary goes "do what produces best results for you." The reproduceability afforded by the jig is highly regarded by many. But then so are slower speeds, higher speeds, shallow and deeper grinds. I personally think it's a case of micrometer measurement and crayon marking. I can't bring a perfect edge to the wood freehand any better than I can bring the edge to the stone. OTOH, I don't do worse, either. Both involve A-B-C with spinning objects.

Back