• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

A thought for new turners...

Go find a local chapter of the AAW, be an active member, and get ready to enjoy your turning hobby so much more than going forward on your own!

I got into turning a few years ago by taking a local class. The teacher gave a pitch for joining the Ohio Valley Woodturners' Guild, our local AAW club. I took his advice and haven't regretted it a minute! They've taught me so much from basic turning techniques to ideas I've gleaned from the show-and-tell table each month.

Last weekend we had a home shop gathering where some mentors taught pen turning and then we turned a bunch of pens for overseas troops through www.freedompens.org . It was a great day, fun to meet new people, I learned a bunch, and our work went for a great cause.

So go find a local chapter and have a great time!

Agreed, and amen brother!

I do enjoy this forum for info and ideas, but our monthly meetings really inspire me! The first place I went when the Dr. gave me the green light to start using a cane and allowed to drive (shattered a femur/hip in May so stuck in bed for 7 weeks) was our AAW chapter meeting almost an hour away. My wife thought I was nuts and not happy, but she also knew how I loved the meetings. I was given a very warm welcome after missing a few meetings, even had one of grumpiest members bring me a cup of coffee! Great guys at the local clubs! Join!!!

I third the motion. I'd done some half-baked turnings and lurked on the weird wild web for a while. But it wasn't until I joined our local AAW chapter that I got truly inspired. Heaps of explanations from some of the most friendly folks I've ever met, and occasionally some free wood or swaps with the other members. Don't hesitate for another minute.

Joe

Website
turnedbygeorge.com
REALLY Important!

I have NEVER seen so many people so willing to give their knowledge away! Wood turners form the greatest community for learning and the exchange of ideas.
An AAW chapter is the easiest, fastest way to learn the woodturning "ropes."
If there are nicer more helpful, well intentioned people (as a group), I have yet to meet them.

Back