• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Forstner bit recommendations

I've had good luck with BORMAX bits, and I think Woodcraft sells them individually. At least I have bought a few sizes I needed there. Rockler also sells their own brand individually and they have been good for the price. I started with a Rockler set and filled in a few gaps with Bormax. A few of the Rocklers that I could no longer sharpen I just replaced with new Rocklers or Bormax depending on where I was when buying. I've bought a few from Harbor Freight but not impressed, you get what you pay for and they were cheap.

I drill a lot of 1 1/16" - 1 7/8" holes in various hardwoods, end grain, 6-10" deep for kaleidoscopes and this is pretty tough on any bit. I have switched to some bits from MCLS that are more like drill bits for most of my k'scops sizes and for what I do they really are better than my best forstner-style bits. At least that is for deep end grain, side grain a regular forstner seems to work beter with more control.

Website
www.bowlturner.com
Back