• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Lathe Power Input

Hey all,

I'm new to the forum; I'm 23 and I've been turning now for 4 years, focusing most on turning bowls/hollows on my Jet Mini. Because of the major limitations (size and weight) of the mini, I'm looking to buy a full-size lathe soon. I've narrowed my choices down to either the Jet 1642 (2 hp version), or the PM 3520B. I don't have any 220v outlets available, but will be having one installed special for the lathe when I make the purchase. My question though, the 1642 is listed as being a 230v motor, not 220v like the powermatic. Is there a difference in a 220v outlet vs. a 230v one? If I choose to buy the Jet, can/should I run the 230v machine on a standard 220v outlet?

Any help is appreciated!

If it is made to be sold in the states and says 2** VAC,( ** being anything), then it will work. If they are variable speed then the input into the drive is what is important. Have fun!

turner23 said:
Hey all,

Is there a difference in a 220v outlet vs. a 230v one? If I choose to buy the Jet, can/should I run the 230v machine on a standard 220v outlet?

Any help is appreciated!

Yes, the Jet will run fine. Chances are if you take a voltage reading on your new circuit at different times during any given day there will be variances in the amount of power the utility co. is supplying. The variance comes from load demand of the power grid. During this current heat wave(past in some parts) I would be surprised if you would have gotten a full or consistent 220V. at the hottest part of the day. The motor on the lathe can tolerate the variance.

220, 230, & 240 outlets are essentially the same. Seems to be called different things in different parts of the country but it is all the same. If you ever stick of good meter on any outlet it will vary during the day depending of load even though the power companies try to keep in consistant.

You will also see electrical appliances that use regular wall outlets listed as 110, 115, & 120 volts; but they are all the same.

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
jdsilwones said:
If it is made to be sold in the states and says 2** VAC,( ** being anything), then it will work. If they are variable speed then the input into the drive is what is important. Have fun!

Be careful about generalities!

Just as long as 2** is not 208 VAC, 3 Phase!

This is a different beast altogether!

For an explanation go to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-phase_electric_power

Rob

Website
www.laymar-crafts.co.uk
Generally here in Europe Standard Motors are designed for the stated Voltage plus/minus 10% and providing the Voltage is within these limits there will be no adverse effects in the Motor Performance or Life.

For the 230v Motor you should be able to Operate at anywhere between 207v through to 257v with safety. a 220v Motor would be 198v to 242v.

Richard
http://www.laymar-crafts.co.uk

Back