• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

wall hangings

anyone have any tips for wall hangings?

Etchings are a time honored feature for wall hangings. If she won't come up for a drink she may come up to see your etchings. ;)

First, it should say "wall hanging" from its design. You can put a platter on the wall with a hook, but it doesn't give it any more validation to do so unless it augments the design. Nittmann's basket illusion piece is clearly one example, reinforced by the adjoining canvas.

Look through the IG pix from Louisville. There were a number of pieces that were only for wall display, including some with mixed media with hanging elements and items that contained clearily architectural forms or needed the vertical orientation for their designs to make sense.

Website
www.mikecunninghamwoodturner.com
BaitBegger

Go here:
http://books.google.com/books?id=iw...ts=CvZ6bxfq0N&sig=PEQawz-rWGiMsN1j_AVkff_cvEU
If the link doesn't work go to Google Books and search Lathe and turning Techniques. That's a Fine Woodworking book containing an article about Dennis Elliot's wall hangings. If you're not familiar with him, he was the drummer for Foreigner and quite an accomplished wood artist, his wall hangings are in the Renwick, DelMano, etc. At the link you can see the entire article.

You can also Google his name and find more info.

Mike

Jim Bremer's work

yes, he and his wife have done several nice wall hangings

his Eclipse Light Fixture is definitely thinking out of the box

his platters could easily have been his start to his wall hangings

i want to attend a rotation by Nick Agar, but i have very limited knowledge of the subject matter. thanks for all the ideas of where to look, at this point putting info into subconscious:D

Website
www.abhats.com
I read the book linked to in Google and that article was the reason I went for a lathe that would swing 30" inboard. I still haven't made any wall hangings (or anything that diameter) in four years with the lathe, but have modified it for another reason so it'll swing 34" inboard. It looks as though one attaches a faceplate to the back of the piece and turns the front to completion, then sands off any leftover roughness on the back and cuts a keyhole hanging slot with a router bit, or just attaches mounting hardware. Can anyone tell me if I'm wrong?

I did several wall hangings (no pics but they're hanging on friends' walls still) by simply taking interesting pieces of wood and turning a half lense with them. They look almost like reverse portholes, with a circle of highly polished and unique wood hanging flush on a wall at eye height. Very simple. Very individual.

I actually liked the ones with simpler woods better than with burled or highly figured.

dk

Website
www.mikecunninghamwoodturner.com
You're right Walt

If you want a finished back, you mount what will be the front to a faceplate and turn the back. Take it off the faceplate and mount the back to a glue block using epoxy. Turn the front, the screw holes from the back will be turned away. Obviously use a faceplate with a diameter placing the holes in a spot where you'll turn a cove. When finished, remove the faceplate, heat and sanding will take care of the epoxy. Yes, a keyhole will work. On small wall hangings and platters I use a glue block with CA and in some cases a tenon and chuck, on large I use epoxy in 5 or 6 large "drops" for the glue block, it will hold just fine, though I'm not sure what might happen with a BIG catch, so don't have any :)

Back