• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turned For Use II - Deadline Approaching

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I'm working as hard as I can to finish my piece. I should easily make the deadline but like anything else it's taking twice as long as you think it will.

Website
www.lavieenbois.com
I have one question: the jury rules document you linked says "no more than 2 pieces will be selected". while the application form (both in word or pdf format), say only one piece. So, what's the limit ?
as an aside, a question I had last year for Turning Green, which seems to be still valid today: any way to pay the entry fee online ?
thanks

Pascal

I have question too

...about rule # 2 see below.

"The artist’s statement about the piece must adequately
reflect how the item can be used."

Having spent some time working in a university art department may have warped my brain in relation to artist statements but here goes any ways.

Do you all think this is asking for the typical artists spiel where one tries to persuade the professor, jury or public that my brick with macorroni hot glued to it is art with some grand conceptual discourse

Or are they looking for it's a "bowl" or even more descriptive for those who do not know how a bowl is used "A cereal bowl, you can eat cereal out of it"?

My sarcasm aside, the always popular rants about art/craft and where turning fits in that seam to crop up after every issue of the magazine comes out have left me a little confused as to where the AAW stands in relation to a juried show and artist statements.

I am leaning towards a typical art spiel but...

What do you all think?

I have one question: the jury rules document you linked says "no more than 2 pieces will be selected". while the application form (both in word or pdf format), say only one piece. So, what's the limit ?
as an aside, a question I had last year for Turning Green, which seems to be still valid today: any way to pay the entry fee online ?
thanks

Pascal

This was exactly my question also which I never asked... There is no such thing in Finland as "international check" these days, not at least in a form of something you can send in a letter. However my bank was able to help because there is some sort of SWIFT check which is basically international money transfer directly to receivers bank. Of course it is much more safe way to send money as ordinary old fashioned check in a letter which can easily disappear from the letter... But of course bank will take its fee and also that money transfer takes time. I think mine was on its way about two weeks. I just put sort of receipt in the letter so that They would be able to match my letter and entry fee.

Not sure if this is relevant at all to you Pascal, just another side note which seconds online payment.

Good catch, Pascal…a corrected version of the pdf has been posted to the website, replacing the bad info. Apparently, the version of this file with the old “submit up to 3/select up to 2†criteria was incorrectly posted.

The plan for 2008 is...up to three pieces may be submitted, but only one piece per person will be selected. The idea is that by having one piece per person in the show, more people will be able to participate. Sorry for the confusion.

One more clarification...inasmuch as the application deadline of February 10 is a Sunday, any application with a post mark of February 11 or earlier will be accepted.

Website
turnedbygeorge.com
thanks

Pascal

I am surprised that AAW doesn't have a PayPal account, which would make online payment EASY. It would be a big help:D

Brujo,

I see where your question is coming from. It crossed my mind too, something to the effect of "If you can't tell what the piece is to be used for then why is it in a 'Turned For Use' contest?"

When I completed my application, I did include a sentence that explained the obvious use, but I also elaborated on some symbols in the piece which complement its use.

I don't know that it will matter to the jurists, and it does feed into the continuing debate about art, form, function, and everything else that goes into turning.

But isn't that part of what makes our hobby such fun?:cool2: Whether they take the piece in Richmond or not, I had a great time rising to the challenge and creating a completely useful turning that was a cut above the common items I usually do.

…Exactly.

I make lots of wall hangings and segmented pieces that are not intended for anything other than to look at. These I feel deserve and are intended to have a spiel.

I also like to make boxes. You could say turned to be used. Since there is only one use for a box...to put things in, making a spiel about how it is used seems a little silly, and pigeon holes a useful item into a single to be used as category.

Granted I did set up my art alter. "O HIGH GODS OF ART BESTOW ON MY HUMBLE TURING a grand use, filled with symbolism and other worldly meaning that will blind the jurors to my otherwise shoddy workmanship" ;)

Behold the amazing box of....

Last edited:

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Charlie I think you said it well. Whether I get picked or not doesn't really matter. I had a ball making this thing. It pushed me skill wise, and stands to be one of my more creative pieces. I just finished it this morning, it will be a few days before I can get it photographed but will have my application in before the deadline.

Back