• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

gel stains

I used them once when doing flatwork. I didn't like them as well as the penetrating oil stains, so I never used them again. I think they conceal too much of the grain, besides being much more labor intensive. JMO.

I used them once when doing flatwork. I didn't like them as well as the penetrating oil stains, so I never used them again. I think they conceal too much of the grain, besides being much more labor intensive. JMO.

Not trying to be argumentative Al, but gels do work well on woods that blotch such as birch, maple, pine, etc. They also need pre-stain or stain controller help to prevent just what you don't like about them. The same protocol will allow penetrating oil stains to do the same work. Using gels is sort of an extra step to try and insure proper results mainly because it gives you a little additional time. The standard disclaimer applies; "your results may vary.":cool2:

I understand, Jake. Point taken. That's why I just used Penetrating Oil Stains, instead of getting anymore Gels... I had to use the pre-conditioning wash anyway. :)
But now that I've stopped doing any flat work, I don't even use stains anymore. I just let everything be the way it is. Come to think of it, I could probably contribute that attitude to having gotten lazy in my old age. :D

Last edited:
I've used Gel Stains sparingly in the past, mostly for special flat projects where I was trying to control/match color. Now Gel Varnish is one of my favorite turning finishes, mostly because of the very light sheen, little attraction for dust nibs, and ease of application.

Back