• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Personal Video taping at the Symposium

I wanted to tape a couple of the rotations for my own benefit.
All long shot stuff, not in any way competing with the official video.
As long as I am not in the way, any issues with permission?

Mark

Never hurts to ask if it is OK before you do it. I do not remember anyone being turned down.
Hugh

video

we took about 15 hours of video. it will take several weeks to process all of it but have already agreed to send it to several of the demonstrators. They were thrilled to know we recorded them as they want to see how they do and if they can improve on their techniques.

we took about 15 hours of video. it will take several weeks to process all of it but have already agreed to send it to several of the demonstrators. They were thrilled to know we recorded them as they want to see how they do and if they can improve on their techniques.

Melissa,

It would be great if you could post your videos on youtube!

youtube

I'm not sure how the artists would feel about that. I mean, they make a substantial amount of their income on teaching their techniques. Why would someone pay them for their expertise if they could see it for free on youtube?

We took the vids because we wanted to remember what went on (I'm really bad with taking notes). And my husband wants to improve is video techniques.

Last edited:

John Jordan

In Memorium
Website
www.johnjordanwoodturning.com
Melissa,

It would be great if you could post your videos on youtube!

Hi Bob,

It was good to see you there. I don't mind if people tape me as long as they are not in the way of others. I don't want people to edit a tape and pass it around, and that includes youtube. It's not a commercial issue so much, but a desire to have some control over having somewhat professional images in public. I sometimes say or do things in a demo that might not seem appropriate if seen out of context.:eek:

John

Hi Bob,

It was good to see you there. I don't mind if people tape me as long as they are not in the way of others. I don't want people to edit a tape and pass it around, and that includes youtube. It's not a commercial issue so much, but a desire to have some control over having somewhat professional images in public. I sometimes say or do things in a demo that might not seem appropriate if seen out of context.:eek:

John

Hi John,

Points well taken! My motives were purely selfish in that it was impossible for me (or anyone for that matter) to make it to see every turner demonstrating at the Symposium.

I'm not sure how the artists would feel about that. I mean, they make a substantial amount of their income on teaching their techniques. Why would someone pay them for their expertise if they could see it for free on youtube?

We took the vids because we wanted to remember what went on (I'm really bad with taking notes). And my husband wants to improve is video techniques.

Hi Melissa,
Your points are also well taken.
This is my second year to be a part of the video team for the AAW. "Get the best seat in the house" is sometimes used as advertisement to entice us to do video at these events. I also do video (and recording) at our local chapter meetings.
My major concerns / preoccupation while videoing include: the image on the screen; trying to anticipate what's coming next; use of the 3 camera switchbox; constantly checking the floor beneath my feet for the position of the mass of wires so that if I move the tripod for a better shot I don't trip and unplug video components.
I feel I don't retain as much info presented as an AAW videographer at a particular demo because I don't have the luxury of taking notes or even snapping a few photos (live action or of the action on the video screen).
Any opportunity to view info presented that I missed will be welcomed.

I would definitely avoid putting something like this on You-Tube. Professional copyright laws prohibit it to a large degree, and like was mentioned earlier, you don't want to tamper with a person's professional image.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Bob Jamie and I made a note to buy lots of velcro tie wraps to try and eliminate some of the cord clutter for next year as well as making storage of the equipment easier and more secure. Several of the problems related to the cameras were simply someone stepping on or unplugging one of the cables. We also talked about having a simple wiring diagram in each room to make it easier for someone to trouble shoot a problem like an unplugged camera or powersupply.
Thanks to the video guys and gals for their inputs on how to handle things next year and a special thanks to Jamie for organizing and repairing all that stuff. The AAW is purchasing new video cameras and new remote cameras to upgrade all of the equipment. We had 5 but decided to use them as backups for the old cameras. This year they bought all new light stands and tripods to try and make setup and storage easier.

I did end up recording a couple of rotations.
I asked permission from the demonstrators first, and they were all interested in getting a copy for themselves.
In one case, no video was provided and the other wanted more than a recording by the video operator.
These were more lecture format than turning rotations.
For my personal use only, I don't care what the demonstrators do with their copy. No sightlines were harmed in their making.
Although I would recommend using a camera with a viewfinder rather than using the LCD display, those are distracting to anyone who can see them.

Mark.

Back