• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Stones or crystals in turnings

My wife and I spent a week in Santa Fe this past Fall and I had the opportunity to visit several rock shops. I love crystals and such, but other than put them on a shelf, what do you do with them? With that in mind, do you or do you know of anyone who incorporates crystals or stone into their turnings? I'm not speaking of ground stone set into grooves or voids with epoxy, but stone used for collars, lid handles, or other decoration. If there are any images in the gallery using stone, please point me to them Thanks, Marlen @ WOOD

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
Cindy Drozda uses gems.....

My wife and I spent a week in Santa Fe this past Fall and I had the opportunity to visit several rock shops. I love crystals and such, but other than put them on a shelf, what do you do with them? With that in mind, do you or do you know of anyone who incorporates crystals or stone into their turnings? I'm not speaking of ground stone set into grooves or voids with epoxy, but stone used for collars, lid handles, or other decoration. If there are any images in the gallery using stone, please point me to them Thanks, Marlen @ WOOD

Hi Marlen -

Your 'turning neighbor to the north in Ames' here....

In addition to many pieces seen at AAW instant galleries that use hunks of turquoise in some southwestern forms, I think one of the most consistent use of "crystals' or 'gems' in turnings is done by Cindy Drozda, who glues a small gemstone under the lid of her fantastic lidded boxes and vessels. Check out her web site at:

http://www.cindydrozda.com/

BTW - Our turners group will be meeting on Sunday afternoon (25 January) in Ames....interested in attending? (Program is on hand chasing threads, and a demo of the Baxter threading jig.)

Rob Wallace

The latest edition of 'Woodturning Design' shows how to make more than just a collar. They make entire turnings from stone.

Aaron

Stones in turnings

Over the years I have used crushed stones in filling voids in turnings, but never crystals. That raises some real challenges as the stones may have the color I want but the hardness of the stones may not be known ahead of time. So, when I embed them and hold with epoxy, the hardness of the stones/epoxy becomes a real challenge. Yes, I try to get as close to a finished surface as possible before putting the stones in place but that is just part of the solution. You need to be able to grind off the surface of the mix and that can best be done with carbide points and ceramic discs. I have not used the ceramic sanding discs yet, but may soon, and report when I do. Good luck.

Maybe not exactly what you're considering, but the back cover of the AAW Journal for Summer 2006 (Vol. 21, No. 2) shows a piece with glass and brass beads embellishments. Stones or crystals could provide a similar effect, if that's what you're after. The URL still works: http://www.ravenstail.com/Homepage/index.html

Click WoodTurning for more detail.

Joe

I have a friend who turned alabaster. He said it worked out OK, but he said he built his own tools from hardened steel. I think he used pieces off old road crater cutting edges and earth moving equipment likethat. I also noticed that at the Utah symposium last year, then there was a demonstrator who was going to be turning stone. I think he said alabaster and talc. I was unable to see his demo though. So if someone else on this forum happened to see that, could you give me a review of how it went?

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Welcome, Marlen. Santa Fe (actually all of New Mexico) is my favorite place to go on vacations. Lately, I have favored Silver City and the Gila Wilderness. I have not used stones, but other members of our club Woodturners of North Texas have used stones in all sorts of interesting ways such as lid knobs and design elements to decorate turnings. Here is one example. The stones are being used to connect a two-piece turning (they are not glued or set in epoxy).

http://wntx.org/gallery/gallery_200604/p20064_025.jpg

Bill Boehme

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Bill,
That's a great looking piece. Are you saying that the stones are not mechanically connected to the wood?

Well, there is obviously some sort of mechanical connection, but I am not certain what it is -- I think that it might be metal pins. The turner is Fred Denke who has produced a series of turnings with similar use of stone and he also uses leather lacing in many of his turnings.

Here are a few others:

http://wntx.org/gallery/gallery_200703/p20073_023.jpg

http://wntx.org/gallery/gallery_200607/p20067_021.jpg

http://wntx.org/gallery/gallery_200609/p20069_007.jpg

While not exactly stone, Steve Worcester uses glass in his turnings. The January program at our club was presented by Steve where he demonstrated his wood and glass hollow forms.

Back