• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Latest Mag

John Van Domelen

Retired Forum Admin
Just received my Spring 2009 American Woodturner.

I am very impressed!

It has a fresh, clean layout, with a great mix of material and arrived immaculate thanxs to the poly-bag.

Kudos to Betty and staff!!!!!

I too was very impressed by the breadth and depth of the material. I really liked the tapered tenon, pie crimper, and hollow form articles in particular. The article by Dennis DeVendra was truly inspiring. I can only imagine the work and hours the editorial staff and authors put into this and every journal issue. Thank you!

anybody else feeling anxious :(:eek::mad: mail does not get delivered til about 4 pm, maybe today :D

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I haven't seen the new issue yet but I'm excited about it. Betty e-mailed me and said that I would notice there wasn't a tips section. She said she is planning to do 1 to 2 pages of tips in future issues and asked if I was still interested in doing them. Must have caught me in a week moment because I said yes. :) So keep them coming.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Mine just came. Man there are some good articles. Can't wait to read it. I've always like Gary Knox Bennet so that article should be a lot of fun to read. It will probably promote some controversy because he always does but that should be interesting.

I have not got mine yet, probably because I haven't renewed my membership. I must be too tight, and too lazy or something.

POLY - BAGGED????? That's the reason I wouldn't renew my membership. Didn't seem to make any difference how many times I mentioned the shabby condition of my mag, it seemed to fall on deaf ears or else I was flamed for my remarks. If each issue is going to be delivered that way I will renew.

POLY - BAGGED????? That's the reason I wouldn't renew my membership. Didn't seem to make any difference how many times I mentioned the shabby condition of my mag, it seemed to fall on deaf ears or else I was flamed for my remarks. If each issue is going to be delivered that way I will renew.

Garmar,

Remember, this is a new administration (editor) and this (poly-bag) is just a trial. Please stand by.
I saw the new issue in Barnes and Noble yesterday. Contents looked good, covers looked a little scratched up despite the beautiful John Jordan piece on the front.

Yep, poly bagged and in pristine mint condition. A fine magazine with a bright and fresh new layout. Lots of artsy turning in this one and I hope they will not forget that there are many who don't carve, burn, dye and paint.

Always great to receive the newest AW isn't it!

Yep, poly bagged and in pristine mint condition. A fine magazine with a bright and fresh new layout. Lots of artsy turning in this one and I hope they will not forget that there are many who don't carve, burn, dye and paint.

Always great to receive the newest AW isn't it!

mikr..i am afraid they have forgotten.

Last edited:
Fine issue with lot of rather interesting reading, thanks for another well done journal.
The poly-bag seemed to help a good bit, and I am glad to see its use.
No drag, scratch, or tear damage this time, just some slight marring along the front fold-edge, which must have come from the printing, folding, or bagging machine.

Website
www.mikecunninghamwoodturner.com
I like the layout, particularly the Association News and Notes, the magazine seems to have a classier appearance. The polywrap doesn't matter much to me and I'd guess it's quite an added expense. In all of the years that I've received the magazine only once was it torn and that was just the cover. I enjoy much of the artsy stuff but hope there will be a balance of artsy, technical/technique, beginner, etc. Having said that, I have no idea why Mark Sfirri's article about Bennett was in there, nor do I need an apple pie recipe.
Mike

Last edited:
To all who are concerned about "too much" or "not enough" of whatever, you really should read the Editor's letter from Betty S. at the beginning of the Journal. It sure sounds to me like she has plans to please just about as many people as it is possible to please with this large of an audience.

I liked this issue very much and I liked the polybag. I'm also excited about the prospect of moving to 6 issues a year in the not too distant future.

Ed

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Just finished reading the magazine. I'm very impressed. I like the fact that it's more upscale in many articles, more like Finewoodworking used to be but not quite as wordy as Woodwork.
I found the articles on coloring very interesting because it focused on using color correctly for a reason, not just covering up a defect of bland wood. I also found Terry Martin's article on where color in originated to be very enlightening.
I'm a fan of Gary Knox-Bennet. I hated him at first just like everyone else when we saw the photo of the nail in the cabinet on the back cover of Finewoodworking. I've since come to understand this type of art and what it represents and why it came about. Now I look forward to seeing what he comes up with. Wish I could be at Albuquerque to see him but it's not in the cards this year.
I can't cook and I'm becoming a legend in that area but one thing I can make is an apple pie. I will be building the apply pie crust crimper.
I was fascinated by Dennis Devendra's article on turning for the blind. I thought it gave a wonderful insight into how we should work with people with challenges and probably deal with our own challenges as well. Excellent job Dennis and thanks for opening my eyes.
I've taught classes in stool making and Peter's article on the tapered mortise tenon was dead on. I learned the techniques from Curtiss Buchannan and John Alexander. I also made the homemade reamer using a keyhole saw blade and use the test fit block the same way he shows. It works so well you don't need glue.

It's here - and in pristine condition too.

I received my AW yesterday and was as happy as a kid on Christmas when I saw the poly bag.... Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, someone heard my prayers after all. :D

And what an outstanding job by the Journal team - your the best. I haven't had time to read it all yet, but I did salivate over "Turned and Carved Hollow Vessel" - this is the type of articles I love to see, and keep me coming back for more; the photo's are excellent quality and numerous - showing the process in great detail, this is how we learn and advance in the art.

Keep up the outstanding work, and the poly bag - and I'll keep my subscription up to date. You almost lost me this year, but I gave in.... The Journal is the only real benefit I get out of my membership and I value and save each and every one, and therefore the basis of my frustration over mutilated issues.:mad: Hopefully the poly bag will put an end to my frustrations.:D

Many, many thanks to the Journals team for their outstanding efforts.:D

Yes - Yes - Yes

To all who are concerned about "too much" or "not enough" of whatever, you really should read the Editor's letter from Betty S. at the beginning of the Journal. It sure sounds to me like she has plans to please just about as many people as it is possible to please with this large of an audience.

I liked this issue very much and I liked the polybag. I'm also excited about the prospect of moving to 6 issues a year in the not too distant future.

Ed

I read Betty's letter with great interest and I'm excited about what the future will bring. If this issue is a sample of what is to come, the future is bright indeed. Go for it Betty - you've got my vote with this outstanding issue, may there be many more to come - 6 is a good number, it divides the year up nicely.:D

Cheers

at last

i have always been one of the 1st to have my American Woodturner magazine arrive, the trip to the mail box was finally awarded today.

1st impressions: just looking at pictures and captions

Dennis DeVendra and Bob Rosand... amazing, i read that articule

something i had missed somewhere, i am sure someone must have told me
John Jordan making a dimple for centering the drill bit, hopefully now i will not break off any more drill bits half way in the form

wood and color pictures

well i got through John Jordan's articule, its halftime, needless to say several more things are clearer, never would of thought to put a face plate on when John does it and use a tendon with the faceplate, it makes sense, i think i will read this one again

there is a really a lot of information here... vt vs nc tonight... i will probably miss some plays :D

Last edited:
Back